Megasquirt Newbie Questions - All the really dumb ones you were afraid to ask!

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by Mike_H, Apr 27, 2010.

1. emery1990 Forum Member

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

thats not it. So you must have lost it? is it not with the serial lead.

3. emery1990 Forum Member

Nope I've checked that bag it came in too, checked my car and under my bed. Yer probably have lost it, will just get another one for a tenner instead of making one up.

4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Just in case you don't know what it looks like.

[​IMG]

5. emery1990 Forum Member

Yer it shows in the booklet what it looks like, but never seen it in the box or anything. It'd be under my bed if I had it, thats where the box has been for months on end.! Doubt the distributor would believe me after all this time anyway.!

6. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Any light on this one?

7. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Ok then, so everyone uses the abf sensor? any pics of it?

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

White plug.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  9. HidRo Forum Member

The bias resistor, is the resistance you have inside MS for the temp sensors.
    So, if you installed everything accordingly, it should be 2490

10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Not necessarily. Mine came with 2590. R7 and R8 I think.

11. HidRo Forum Member

If that is the case, then a value of 2590 should be added to the thermistor table, correct?

12. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

13. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Really? I didn't know that and nobody mentioned this before as far as i can remember. So i have to email the company that built the MS for me and ask them to be sure, since tshirt has different resistance than you

14. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Was changed in easytherm after I made sure that was the the resistance I had in my kit. It says in easytherm that my value is different to standard when value was input. That's why I checked and double checked.

Maybe that was the closest value at the time of making the kit? Lucky I spotted it really.

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The temperature bias resisitors R4 and R7 are 2490 Ohms in both DIYAutotune and Former Glen's garage BOMs. I am looking at a freshly built unit in front of me right now to confirm the case.

If this is the case use this value with your desired NTC sensor in Easytherm for MS1 systems

If this 2590 Ohms then use this with your chosen NTC sensors in Easytherm for MS 1 systems.

In fact I had a client come around with 22K resistors and I was able to configure the sensors to read right.

In MS 2 when using tunerstudio Easytherm is not used and sensors are configured in the settings menu.

16. Toyotec

Look at the resistance bands and this will confirm what they are. For 2490 ohms they should be red, yellow, white, brown, brown You can also test with an Ohmmeter and see the value not far from the resistor band value.

You can find R4 and R7 in the column of resistors above the "&" in the Bowling & Grippo label on the bottom of a OE ver 3 PCB. next to caps C5 and C6. They are usually the only blue base colours in this column of resistors

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  17. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

I'm using DIYautotune's MS2 so i take it is 2490 Ohms then?

I can't check this right now since i came back to uk but i'll confirm when i go back to my country again.

Too much info in your heads guys :lol: Appreciate your help, thanks :thumbup:

Am i right thinking that if my R4 and R7 resistors are 2490 Ohms and my sensor's reading is wrong that means that my temps and resistances that i used for that sensor are wrong?

And another one.. What are the corresponding temps for each line in the temp gauge in the 16v clocks? Just trying to identify if i'm wrong and by how far

18. Toyotec

The last 3 units that were built came from diyautotune looked like the two blue units in the picture below.

[​IMG]

If your sensor is one like what Trev suggested, then it has a different NTC curve than the CLT sensor pictured by tshirt2k. I cannot check this now but you can find out by obtaining a temp measuing device and heat/cool the sensor with an Ohm meter attached through a range of temps from 0 to 100 dec c. This would give you the infomation to input in sensor config settings.

19. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Yea. I had blue resistors. But yellow band is green on mine and probably why I had discrepancy on temperatures. A slight syntax error on the resistor numbers R4 and R7. [:$]

20. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Yes my sensor is what Trev suggested, VDO sensor but instead of 027 it was a 049. The next numbers of the part # are the same so i take it is the same one. I did measure the sensor temps and resistances but the readings are not accurate, that's why i'm looking for a sensor that we know the exact values for it like the bosch one. For example, for air temps i'm using the 1.8t IAT sensor that brooky gave me the values for and the readings seem reasonable and correct but the coolant one seems very wrong to me. When the car is cold it starts from about 80 degrees and it goes to max 92 degrees when the fan is running..