Mk1 golf DTA ECU wiring

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by daniboy1_2_3, Jan 16, 2015.

1. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

That would make life a bit easier and things much neater, I'm picking my relay holders up today so I'll ask my friendly vw parts Chao if he can find something on etka that fits the bill. I'm going to have to make up new engine and gearbox earth's as the old ones aren't looking good. Also my alternator is positioned at the back of the cylinder head now so I'll have to run a cable all the way around from there to the battery. More shopping! I'll just go with the original cable sizes and order some new cable for the alternator I think. Is there a good quality crimping tool that's will do most of the things I require that anyone can recommend? John what did you say you used to crimp the wires onto the relay holder wires? Thanks.

2. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Is the junction box definitely at the fuse box or at the battery?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I'll have a look im sure i got one o them live block somewhere, i bet its cheap!

i have 2 crimping tools a small one for the ce1 pins and a larger one for most others. i could do with one between the big and small one :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Crimping-Tool-Molex-0-1-and-0-156-Terminals-HT-225D-/170752067857

the larger one i got from america (mate of mine had contacts) but any decent criming tool for non insulated terminals should do you fine, plenty to choose from on ebay or polevolt.co.uk, http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk etc

this one looks pretty much same as mine:
    http://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/non-insulated-terminal-ratchet-crimping-tool-heavy-duty.html

edit: I'm talking about 2 seperate things in my post :) on the 1 hand theres the battery mounted fuse block you find on mk4 and newer VAG which takes studded cables, plus a simple jumper block which goes inside the car with studs inside, no fuses.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. rubjonny

so a battery fusebox here, handy as it means all your lives are fused right at battery:
    [​IMG]

and/or inside the car you could use somethign like this (not the exact polo one I mention above but you get the idea!)
    [​IMG]

basically if you have a mega live cable you could run it to a junction box like 2nd pic above, then from there run cables to the fusebox live, various relays etc. or you could go with mk4 type fuseblock and run all the fusebox and relay lives to that. or a combo of both, whatever :thumbup:

the mk4 battery box also takes the alternator cable too, so that one is also fused. this will mean if it gets damaged in a crash say, the fuse will blow rather than a possible electrical fire.

on the other hand, the mk4 boxes can suffer from corrosion damage so if you go 2nd hand be sure to check it over. they are easily stripped right down for cleaning and repair too :thumbup:

5. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

One of those would make things neater and safer then I'd just feed the correct P spade from that also for the fuse box along with power for my relays. It's starting to take shape in my head just need to start buying parts now and running wires etc. I've got my relay holders so i now need to order the 6.3 mm female connectors that latch into them and work out suitable wiring gauges from all the information in this thread :)

6. rubjonny

cool, the main reason I had my eye on one o them polo junction boxes is it would mean i could use a std mk4/5 cable without having to re-terminate the fusebox end since it has ring terminals on both ends, rather than a spade like wot i needs for fusebox. then from there I can run a wire to fusebox live input and any other meaty items :)

as long as the main live into the fusebox is good you can use the P spades and it'll be reet! many options going forward :thumbup:

7. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

My bosch relays have turned up, 5 pin part number 0332 014 112 as recommended by my DTA wiring diagram for the ECU. My plan was to use these for my fuel pump and possibly injectors and lambda. I notice that there are two pin 87. Is it feasible to deed to circuits with these relays then?
    On another note would you think it's okay to use the spare spade on my fuse box that you mentioned earlier for my lambda heater even though it says to supply it via a separate relay?

8. rubjonny

to use the spade on e/14 you would need the factory fuel pump relay fitted, if you're putting it above the fusebox then obv this pin will not be live anymore.

are you running 2 lambdas then? as the LC-1/2 heater is fed from the control unit direct by the looks of it so no need to worry about the heater wire there.

are you sure its 2x 87 you have? and not 87 and 87a?

9. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

It's the new digital MTX-L wideband kit which has the controller etc in the gauge. In the manual it mentions supplying it with a dedicated 12 V supply.
    Of course there will be no power on E14 without original relay, doh! I'll have another check of the relays when I get home.

10. rubjonny

looking at it this one needs a ign live feed, a relay is suggested if you arnt sure about the circuits in your fusebox. I'm not sure if a relay would be needed or not?

basically the ignition live feed to the fusebox is fed from the black wire on the ignition switch, and all the ignition live feeds inside the fusebox comes off this same wire including the coil live. obviously they are on separate rails inside the fusebox, but the source is that single black wire from the ignition switch. So its a case of is the wideband controller sensitive enough that it wont like the ignition live coming off a separate rail fed from the same source that the coil rail is fed from if that makes sense?

11. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Okay the relay has 86, 85, 30 and 2 X 87 outputs .

12. rubjonny

cool, you can use both 87 outputs if you like, or just the 1 its up to you. obv the output cant exceed the rating of either the relay, wire or fuse, whatever is lowest :thumbup:

13. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Yea that makes sense. If it does need a separate relay then ill be looking at having to wire 3 relays, ECU, fuel pump and lambda plus find a power source for coil and injectors. As mentioned can't use E14 spade for lambda. Can the original coil supply be used to power coil pack with original fuel pump relay removed? If so then that would only leave power needed for injectors and I'd be tempted to use ECU relay to power injectors also if this sounds feasible.

14. rubjonny

yeah you can use the original black coil wire to D/23 to power the new coilpack, its just a normal ignition live feed :)

for injectors you could use the ecu relay or the fuel relay power output, both have been used on various CE1 EFI wiring looms. CE2 mostly use the fuel relay, with the exception of some VR6 which use the ecu relay again. so its up to you. options, options and yet more options :lol:

15. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Okay well after finding that the original Mk1 CE1 fusebox 171 941 821 D is still available I've ordered myself a new one :)
    My plan now is as follows;

Fuel pump relay:

Use factory slot for fuel pump relay 67/80/167
    DTA ECU earth trigger wire to D13
    Power to fuel pump from E14. May need to run new cable here along with new earth.

Use spade N for injectors

Check main fuse box live wire that comes in on the lighting loom, replace if necessary.

Connect coil feed to pin D/23

ECU relay:

Relay added to top of the fuse box (Bosch 0332 014 112)
    Main feed direct from battery 10A fuse
    Ground to battery terminal
    Switched feed from D7, G2 or Go
    Control Ground to earth spider near fusebox

Lambda relay:

Relay added to top of fuse box (Bosch 0332 014 112)
    Main fees from battery, 5A fuse
    Earth to battery terminal
    Switched live to D2, 1A fuse.

Thanks for all the input so far! I'm now going to order the cable and connectors I need to start putting the relay holder looms together and get hold of a good quality crimping tool. I'll try and get some pictures posted as I go so a critical eye can be cast over my workmanship :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
    Toyotec likes this.
  16. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  17. rubjonny

If you're going to replace the main battery live then i would just use the P terminals on the fusebox, it'll be fine and save you a bit of wire. After all, its ok on the fully loaded MK3 which have a load more electrical loads on the fusebox than what you have :)

The stock battery cable on the mk1/2/3 is 6mm, which is rated for 50amps looking about. Confirmed by the MK4 wiring diagram I have here which shows a 6mm cable protected by a 50a fuse. That jumper block looks like a nice solution as you can use it to power the fusebox and all your relays with all your individual fuses inside for neatness :thumbup:

The mk4 also has a monster 16mm cable which is protected by a 110a fuse, but i dont think you need to go that far :lol:

18. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

On second thoughts maybe ill just rewire the original fusebox feed from the battery and use this junction box to keep the feeds for the ECU and lambda on their own. It would give me the option of adding an amp for my stereo later down the line as well.

19. rubjonny

cool if you want an uber amp later on then it would be worth beefing up your main live feed into your junction block for sure :thumbup:

20. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Well that junction box is out, the smallest fuses they sell for it are 30 amp :/ the search continues.