Mk1 golf DTA ECU wiring

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by daniboy1_2_3, Jan 16, 2015.

1. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Hi there, I've just received my DTA ECU and I'm currently going over the wiring diagram to get my head around what needs doing.
    The ECU requires a direct fused feed from the battery , switched via the ignition switch. I'm keen to give it a good clean supply. The rail that is marked 30 on the mk1 golf wiring diagrams is supposed to be a direct feed from the battery. Where is this physically located on the fuse box and will this provide a good supply for my ECU? By the looks of it other devices share this direct feed from the battery which makes me wonder is it worth running a separate power cable specifically for the ECU?.
    The fuel pump relay needs to be triggered by the ECU.*
    I see that relay J17 is responsible for this on a mk1 GTI. The fuel pump also receives 12V from terminal 30 once the relay is energised. Is this going to be a good enough supply or is to again worth running a dedicated supply and grounds?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

If it were me, direct feed every time (controls engineer)
    Jon

3. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Always get a good power supply for your Ecu esp. good clean earth

Permanent feed of Battery via fuse 1.5mm sq min

Main earth(s) from engine block, also 1.5mm sq min

Make sure engine/box has big juicy earth cable to it via clean contacts

As for fuel pump also make sure that it gets solid voltage at all times. Good earth via 2.5mm sq min and +12v via relay fed straight from battery via fuse in 2.5mm sq min but i have also used 4mm sq in past as you really can't over do it

Also your coil pack(s) and injectors will require good +12v feed in 1.5mm sq min, obviously fused

4. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Thanks for the input! I thought I'd be best running dedicated power lines like that but didn't want to create more work for myself if unecessary. So dedicated fused feeds for the fuel pump and ECU it is.
    The ECU diagram is shows a direct feed to the ECU switched by the ignition with a 40 amp fuse. The power feeds for the coil, injectors, and fuel pump relay switching are spliced together from the 40 amp fused line.
    As far as actually rewiring the relays can the same type of relay be used for both the fuel pump and ecu?
    Is there a straightforward way of incorporating them into my fuse box as they will obviously need somewhere to plug into. I'm guessing ill also need to buy a couple of recepticles and wire them accordingly?. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Fuses are there to protect the wiring, not the electronics. 40A is a biggy. I only have one 40A in my whole rally car and that is for my lamp pod (240W). If the ECU is just doing calculations then a much smaller separate one will be better. Avoid anything less than 5A, as it will act like a resistor and drop voltage.
    A relay is a switch, you can use a common one (say a 40A one) if the load on that circuit is 40A or less
    Hope this helps
    Jon

6. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Thanks jon, I think the fuse will also protect the electronics should a 12 V supply be connected to a sensor ground inadvertently.
    It is a beefy fuse as I'm only running 4 injectors and a coil pack. I think it's for multi coil 8 cylinder engines.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  7. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Common misconception. Electronics 'blow' in microseconds (usually) and fuses blow in milliseconds
    Jon

8. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

So in reality it's not going to.protect the ECU at all?

9. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Sorry, no. But don't worry, if you wire it up properly it wont need protecting
    Jon

10. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

That's what I'm worried about :) I'd rather it was idiot proof . It's fairly straightforward really I'm just seeking reassurance that I'm heading in the right direction with it.

11. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I would always try to wire up and ECU using the feeds and relays the OE would have used for their controller.

If the vehicle has the OE fuse box, the ecu can be wired in and you would have the fuses for protection already in place.

If not then as suggested.

12. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

There is a relay for a fuel pump but I'm not sure if there is anything for the ECU, I think the mk1 GTI had some kind of ignition module though.
    The plan so far then is to run a direct feed from the battery to the fuel pump relay with a suitable fuse. I'll also connect the ECU fuel pump trigger and run a new earth cable.
    I need to work out if there is another relay already in place that I can use for powering up the ECU. This would make life easier and then I'll run a new feed and earth for that. Hopefully this all sounds okay to those of you that have done this a lot more than me? Appreciate the help :).

13. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

You don't need to feed your Ecu via relay, it is just something else to go wrong if you know what i mean

Only thing you should always use relay for is your fuel pump triggered by ecu for safety reason. If you have an accident damaging engine or engine blow up ecu will turn fuel pump off

And yes fuses are in place to protect wires from overload and short circuits both of which may lead to fire, that is it

14. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

According to the DTA wiring diagram the ECU needs to be powered via a direct feed from the battery switched via a relay and fused.

15. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Ah i see, sorry i misread your first post, just read it again, i thought you wrote that your ecu requires 2x positive feeds, permanent and ignition live as well

Reason why it says to go via relay may be is if that same supply goes to your injectors and coil pack(s) as well, to prevent them staying powered on without ignition

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

There is a factory ecu relay socket on the CE1 fusebox, but you can only use it if you can find a 2 pin plug 'R' for the rear of the fusebox. When I make 20v/abf etc looms without this plug I just add a VW relay holder above the fusebox for it. Live pin to one of the P spades on the back, switched feed to D2 or D7 or G spades 2 or 5. You can also use this feed to power your coilpacks if its a 20v loom, I would add a 15a fuse if so as the coilpack looms are prone to cracking up especially the later 4 pin coil ones. if this feed is just for the ecu you dont need to bother with a fuse if you dont want, all the factory mk1/2/3 ecu feeds are unfused but there is no harm adding one though, 10a should be plenty.

for the fuel pump use the factory socket, run your DTA fuel relay earth trigger wire to D/13 (will be no pin here so add one from scrap ce1 loom or buy a new pin) then power the fuel pump from E/14 (wire will be here if it was a GTI) you can power the lambda heater from a male spade hanging off E/14 also if you like, as per factory digifant wiring looms.

for the fuel injectors you could power it from the ecu relay power as per factory UK mk2 digi, spade on E14 (if wire is man enough) or the larger spade N as per some euror CE1 digifant installs. N is unfused, but then neither is Z/1 which is used for the injector power on pretty much all CE2 EFI wiring looms

17. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Great thanks for that. I've been looking into the fuel pump wiring further and noticed the pump relay relies on a feed from the coil to energise it. I've done away with the coil meaning there will be no signal to switch it. Saying that it seems there is a switching circuit there already without the coil feed so I'm not sure why it wouldn't work without it?
    The DTA wiring diagram shows the power feeds for the coil pack, injectors and the switch for the fuel pump all coming direct from the battery spliced together via a fuse. Would this not be simpler to do? Or am I best trying to utilise what's already there in the fuse box?

18. rubjonny

the kjet relays needs a rev counter feed to the fusebox, this is the coil -ve wire. if you replicate this with an adaptor then you could use a kjet relay but it would be best to use one without a rev limiter built in as it may mess with the DTA limiter, plus I guess the kjet limit would be lower than what you want?

the later digifant mk2 and 16v plus mk3 instead use an ecu switched trigger, this is the D/13 pin I mention above. so if you use the DTA wire to this pin and a 67/80/167 the fuel pump will be fully controlled from the ecu :)

you can power these things as per the DTA diagram if you want (i assume these feeds are all powered off a relay though, not direct from the battery?) or as per the VW wiring via the fuel and/or ecu relay power feeds its up to you

19. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

I need to go back to school on this one, I'm not sure what you mean by the rev limiter or what the DTA rev limiter is. I knew this was going to be a bit of a learning curve :/.
    The DTA harness I've got has a fused 12 V supply line which is spliced to connect to the ECU and also supply the injectors, coil and fuel pump relay switching circuit. My diagram shows a fused supply direct from the battery going into a relay and then out of that is my spliced power cable. It was made up for me and the fuse would be after the relay if this matters?
    I'm just looking for the most straightforward was of doing everything without compromising on the overall effectiveness. Appreciate your help.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  20. rubjonny

yeah thats fine, as I saythe problem withb the factory ecu relay socket is you cant use it without a plug R, as this both supplies the ign live to turn iut on and the power output to the ecu. so for the ecu and those other things you mention you could clip a relay above the fusebox, and this is indeed what I do on my CE1 abf/20v/etc looms if I dont have a plug R. Ideally use a VW relay socket as it will clip securely to the top of the fusebox.

you could feed the 12v input from the battery via a fuse if you like, but if it was me I would use one of the live spades 'P' on the back of the fusebox, this will be just as good so long as your main battery live from the battery to fusebox is in good nick (this one is the fat red in the lighting loom)

for the fuel relay, if you put the ecu fuel relay earth trigger wire to D/13 then you can use the factory relay socket, with a 67/80/167 fuel pump relay. for fuel pump power you can use E/14, same as a factory GTI is setup. or if you prefer, use a relay above the fusebox its entirely up to you. I'm pretty sure the DTA ECU can supply a switched earth to trigger a fuel relay, but I would need to dig up a wiring diagram for this.

the rev limiter is what stops engine damage from over-revving the engine, some kjet relays have one built in hence why i would say if you do use one get a non-limiter relay and let the DTA ECU handle your rev limit