Mk1 golf DTA ECU wiring

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by daniboy1_2_3, Jan 16, 2015.

1. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

I'm in the north east near Middlesbrough just trying to get my head round the best way to do all of this :/

2. mk1. Forum Junkie

ah,thats right,why not just get Andyout to make you a plug and play loom he has a unit at Croft be alot less hassel.

3. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Thanks for the pointer, I may well have to yet but I was hoping to be able to at least give it a good go myself. I felt like I was getting somewhere but I can't see what's going on with this D13 connection just yet.
    I was planning on running a separate relay for the ECU as has been mentioned earlier and then utilise the factory fuel pump socket albeit with new power and ground connections, the parts that will have most likely degraded the most due to location etc.
    I'm just taking on board advice and hoping to soak up the knowledge along the way. I think I'd get a kick out of getting it together myself, I've come quite a way with it so far.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Believe that suggestion was covered in post 29 :thumbup: Nothing wrong with what rubjonny was suggesting, if you are fully confident in vehicle electrics and understand the VW wiring diagrams.
    I have found OE electrics are quite robust, to NVH over a long time, than a system made with crimps!

Alternatively if the whole thing is a bit overwhelming for the OP, then yes get it to a pro for less hassle.

5. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

I'd quite like to see this through now :) rather than have a pro wire it up for me but I appreciate all the input, that's what it's all about.
    A thought occurred to me whilst slowly rocking myself to sleep. The other relays mentioned for fitment in place of original pump relay must have an extra pin linked to d13 which I didn't check. I only checked the 4 pins used by standard relay. Please tell me I'm right :)

6. Toyotec

Summarised from Bentley, Chiltons and Haynes manuals

Your F/P relay on the CE1 fusebox will have the following pins.
    Pin 1 - KL31 Ground
    Pin 2 - KL30 Battery live
    Pin 3 - KL87 Switched live with S5 fuse to Fuel Pump motor and non fused output to N
    Pin 4 - KL15 Keyed ignition ( Terminal 15)
    Pin 5 - 1 ( -ve coil pulse for rpm sense relays on 8v KJet engines)
    Pin 6 - To D13 - ECU trigger.
    Pin 7 and 8 not used.

On a 4 pin 'Digifant' relay found on a later car like a Golf 2 or MK3

Pin 2 - KL15 Keyed ignition
    Pin 3 - KL85 From ECU trigger ( in your case D13)
    Pin 4 - KL87 Switched live
    Pin 6 - KL30 Battery live

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  7. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Thanks for reiterating! I think I've just gotten a little bogged down with all this information. The relays mentioned earlier 67/80/167 have a connection to pin 6 which will go to D13 had I have checked this with my multimeter, I get it now!
    Do they have specific part numbers?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  8. Toyotec

I have for my former 8v Cabrio (CE1) and JENVEE MS'd 16v (CE2) outside. I can have a look and report back

Actual validation from vehicles 22 Jan.

OK on the Cabrio, which was an 8v KJet the F/P relay is #2
    It has 5 pins as:

30 - Slot 2 Batt live
    31 - Slot 1 Gnd
    15 - Slot 4 Key on ignition KL15
    87 - Slot 3 Switched live
    31b - Slot 5 Ignition sensor from coil -ve

On JENVEE, which is a Megasquirted 16v car on a later Central Electric fusebox 2, the relay is a very late # 428 taken a model year 2000 vehicle.

It has 4 pins as:

30 - Slot 2 - Batt live
    87 - Slot 3 - Switched live
    86 - Slot 4 - Key on ignition KL15
    85 - Slot 6 - ECU trigger ( JENVEE CE2 G1/3, MK1 Cabrio KJet CE1 D13)

Both fusebox footprints have 8 inputs.

Summary of both in the illustration.

[​IMG]

9. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Excellent thanks a lot.

10. Toyotec

Thanks to you for asking the question and the others who also gave an input :thumbup:

In post 29, an illustration was drawn up to demonstrate the key points for connecting any SEM.
    A question arose on some of the relay numbers.

In JENVEE the original ECU relay fitted is '30'. I know this as it was checked last night.
    The fuel pump relay fitted is '428'. I believe this is not the original MK2 part as it is dated 11/00. The car was recieved with this part and never really changed it during the 16v/megasquirt conversion. So one to add to the typical 67/80/167 F/P relays.
    I did a search last night and found a thread by vento mike which has a list of >>>VW fuse box relay numbers<<< he and others have seen and will also add it here.
    Perhaps one to make into a table ;)

11. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

The '20 year old connections' will most likely be fine so long as the fusebox hasnt been messed with and there have been no water leaks. They may be 20 year old, but they have been tucked up safe and dry (hopefully!) behind the dash. Of course with all electric work such as this, you will want to check the condition of everything as you go. if your fusebox is water damaged replace it, not just because of this install but also due to the fact it will affect the entire car electrics.

The way I'm recommending it the main ecu power will be fresh connections anyway, with ecu relay above fusebox. Yes there is a perm live to P, but this should be fine as its pretty much direct from the battery. again if your battery live cable is poor you should replace it anyway as it will affect ALL of the car electrics not just the ECU. ECU earths go back to the battery, so again, fine. The ignition live trigger for ecu relay is fine, its just that, a trigger. so as long as wire is good it is fine. The d/13 pin, again just a trigger. This one will be new anyway as no pin factory ;)

The e/14 wiring to fuel pump will need to be checked at the other end for issues, but worst case the part number for the pin is above so fresh wire can be used if need be or corroded section chopped out and fresh wire spliced in, either way is fine.

Dont hate on the VW fuseboxes they are very good and plenty good enough for what we are asking of it ;) (except the odl ceramioc ones, ugh now THOSE are garbage :lol:)

Now moving on. the wideband instructions I would follow their recommendations, earth to the battery and find a live separate to the ecu feeds. The stock lambda wiring would be fine to the E/14 pin because it only powers the heater, but for the wideband its also going to power up the ecu inside the box also so I can understand the need for a decent power supply. The documentation recommends it does not share a feed with the stereo, ignition etc so I guess you would want to wire in a relay for it rather than use the ignition live feed as it is also used by the coil. I'm not sure how critical this is, or if they mean 'dont splice into the coil live wire or the stereo' but using a different ignition live rail on the fusebox woudl be ok? maybe someone else can comment on that one.

If a separate live feed is ok, then you could use D/2 or D/7, or G spade 2 or 5 (use a separate wire to either of these pins, dont splice it to the same wire you use for the relay triggers though!) D/7, G/2 and G/5 are all fed from fuse 18, and D/2 is fuse 17. So if it was me I would probably use D/2 for the wideband, and the other feeds for any other ignition feeds you need. D/2 will be unused on your fusebox most likely, and no fuse either so pop a new pin and fuse in if so.

Eddie: are you using a 30 ECU relay on your CE1 fusebox in slot 1? Or did I read that wrong? if you do have a 30 in there I'll have a deeper look into my diagrams :thumbup:

Oh and for the relay list, check the fusebox FAQ theres a much bigger list in there, already in a table and it has bold fonts and everything :lol:

12. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

I have a fully populated corrado G60 fuse box kicking around somewhere so hopefully the relay in that will match the description of what I need. If not then I'll see if I can get hold of one from the dealers.
    Next on the list is to rewire the fuel pump feed and earth once I've sussed out exactly what size and type pin to order for the fuse box connector E14.
    My fuel pump relay fuss s5 is worryingly loose in its socket not sure if it's possible to rectify this. Maybe another reason to invest in a new fuse box.

13. rubjonny

Sorry to be clear you can use a 30 relay in a socket above the fusebox no problem, or a 53, or any switched relay :thumbup:

Its just if you use the CE1 ECU relay socket #1 I dont think the 30 relay will work, but you wont be so you can ignore my comments about that. Just a thing for me and eddie to discuss separately :lol:

If your fuel pump relay isnt secure in the socket then maybe its worth just having it above the fusebox, this assumes the rest of the fusebox is in good condition though! if its damaged in other ways then i would think about replacing it for sure.

The stock fuel pump wiring should be ok, provided its in good condition. VW used good quality copper wiring thruout the car and the KJet pumps take a good bit of power. Aftermarket pumps usually use less amps than the older gear but it depends on the spec. the stock kjet pump would be fine to use too though if its good :)

if you let us know which pump you plan to use hopefully we can find specs on what kind of amp fuse it needs and we can work out the wire spec from that plus the other circuits you plan to run on E/14 or the relay above the fusebox

14. Toyotec

I would suggest replacing the fuse box if your fuse holders are in that state.
    It is very frustrating to have a critical fuse shake itself loose on a track or on road during a maneuver. This sort of points back to the point Jon Olds was raising.

15. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Yes its the s5 fuse itself, it's quite loose in its slot. All the others are nice and tight and it doesn't look like there is anyway of re tensioning the slots it sits in.
    There is a little discolouration also in an isolated spot of what looks like corrosion and that's just what I can see.
    I think it's probably going to be best to replace it isn't it. Doesn't look like genuine CE1 fuse boxes are available now just repro from VW heritage.
    Fuel pump wise I'm waiting to hear back from think auto who I spoke to earlier in the week. I asked him to put together an order and he was going to look into what pump would be suitable to supply around 150 litres of fuel per hour at 3 bar which I believe will be more than enough to fuel my 16vg60 engine.
    I'd use the original pump but it's seen better days and doesn't look like they are available either from new so im going for something new. Suggestions very welcome :). I'm running the cabrio sender setup with lift pump which will supply a swirl pot then the main pump will draw from there.

16. rubjonny

its a personal call, if it was me id remove it from the car so i could get a good look at all the pins round the back, fuse and relay sockets etc see how bad the water staining is. if it looks pretty much mint apart from the fuel relay socket then you could go ahead and use a relay above the fusebox, though personally any damage however slight to the fusebox would trigger my wiring OCD so it would just be replaced :lol:

there is no reason why you cant put all your relays etc above the fusebox and have your ecu loom totally separate from the main engine harness its totally your call on that one. There are several guys out there who make looms this way with happy customers, I choose to try and make them as OEM as possible which means more work but thats just me!

The main thing if going oem is as i say, check it all over carefully. If there are problems then you have to weigh the cost and effort to replace the damaged sections. I've taken in a whole bunch of CE1 looms in for conversion as you can imagine, and mostly the fusebox sides of these looms are as good as they were from new because VW used top quality components when makign them. The exception to the rule is if the car has had a water leak for a long time, obviously this corrodes the pins and so I replace them and the wiring with new where required, and strongly advise the customer changes the fusebox too! The other exception is if captain bodger has got at the wiring, I've seen some shocking work :lol:

for the fuel pump if you can source another kjet one then that will be plenty, but there are many aftermarket options too which will all be fine so long as the flow specs match up to or exceed your requirements :thumbup:

17. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

As for the wiring to the other circuits ill need, it's going to be supply to the lambda sensor and earth for it along with the cabling for wiring the ECU relay. The wiring supplied with the ECU for power and ground is 18AWG from memory whereas all.other wiring including feeds to injectors and coil was 22AWG but I won't be wiring it up as per the DTA diagram using these wires as it shows ECU, coil pack and injectors all spliced into same 12 V supply via the ECU relay.

18. Toyotec

For maximum reliability I would replace the fuse box or at least run a separate fuel pump relay and engine control relay as originally suggested by Jon Olds. We already know where the wires are on the original loom and so not really a hard one if you do not want the hassle of wiring the whole car.
    The K-Jet pump is fine on a 16vG60 with say 280bhp but, for piece of mind get something new. The lift pump would also be fine.
    As a part time dyno operator, it has been a sometimes horrible experience, when a vehicle comes in and gives up on components and you try to be nice to start troubleshooting to get the thing mapped.

19. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

I think it would be best looking at it to wire in new relays for the ECU and fuel pump. Just to be on the safe side.
    Dedicated supplies from the battery, good grounds back to the battery maybe, use the switched ECU earth trigger and an ignition live for the fuel pump relay and either use the existing wiring to feed the fuel pump or run a new power feed to the pump.
    As far as the lambda power goes again I think to be on the safe side ill use a dedicated relay. So quite a bit of wiring to do now then!.

Toyotec likes this.
  20. rubjonny

good stuff!

one thing you could look at is mk4/5 type battery -> fusebox cable, its huge! then on later 6/9n polo, some seat etc that have a fat 4 way live junction box above the fusebox which as a bunch of studs in it you can use for your fusebox and relay lives. then theres the mk4 onwards type battery fusebox you could use, using one o these all of your lives back to fusebox area can be fused easily and direct at source for maximum safety :thumbup: