My Mars Red Mk1 - Thread REBOOT- P82

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by vw_singh, May 5, 2008.

1. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Or if you run the Dizzy.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I guess you didn't get it back on the dyno yet, then? No 'after' numbers?

3. Toyotec

Not at 01.00Hrs this morning:lol:
    I am sure Gurds would have been up for it though:lol: :lol:
    Butt dyno tuning took main priorty...

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

As Toyotec says, no secrets, just lots of hard graft in the middle of a freezing winters night :thumbup:. The difference in drive and feel on the startup map and after calibration is night and day. But even now, in this preliminary setup, the car has noticeably more usable torque and better throttle response compared to K-Jet. The delivery seems smoother too. It's also nice to be able to rev past 6800rpm now ;) .

With regards to mapping, get the engine to idle and then get the fuel sorted before moving on to ignition timing. This way you can ensure that the engine doesn't run dangerously lean when trying high load tests. It is a long process and will require tune, tune and re-tune again.

The amount of work done in one evening would have taken me days of trial and error. It really helps to have someone who knows the system and has a fair idea of what the hardware is capable of. Getting Toyotec to help calibrate has saved endless amount of time and fuel so it's worth taking him on. :thumbup:

Eddie, I don't think the ITR DC2 driver knew what hit him. I don't think he left a happy man. :lol:

Gurds

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Blimey Mike, you're more eager than me :lol:

All in good time....

Gurds

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Good stuff! Did you use a mixture of roads / motorway?

I assume the map requires a check later later for the cool ambients last night?

When it gets to the dyno, one other factor I suppose: the ABF vs KR inlet & injectors.

7. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yea, a mixture of roads/motorways as you say.

The mapping isn't finished anyway so will see what gets covered in future iterations.

There is the ABF vs KR inlet & injectors thing but should still be comparable to other ABF's running on factory Digi.

Gurds

8. Toyotec

I calibrated a base table that uses the manifold air temp sensor value from a start temp to another threshold temp that added/subtracted spark to deal with that issue. That was with the base calibration.
    Can be tweaked I suppose for this specific engine if the ambients are a bit hotter like say +30 deg C then some with the engine bay heat if there is any audible det.

9. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

The bad weather has mean't that I havn't been able to do much more driving in the mk1 so I took advantage of the situation an decided to work on the cold start/idle control aspect of things.

The cranking settings & afterstart enrichments needed some work but after some tweeking, the engine now fires and starts without any throttle input.

Keeping it running was another matter. The Idle control settings seems like a hit/miss affair. I tried numerous settings but nothing seemed to work to begin with but eventually the following method worked for me.

The 1st thing to establish is warm idle. Toyotec has previously tuned the advance/fuel to maintain a good idle without an ISV from which I tweeked a bit further to provide the smoothest idle possible. This was done with the throttle stop switch set to the max throttle open position (it's enough to get a 11-1200rpm idle).

It is very important that the car idles before trying to tweek the ISV settings. It makes life much easier. Also, my engine only seems to have a smooth idle with AFRs of around 12.5:1 - 13:1.

Then I proceeded to mess about with the idle control settings on the 'Warm up only' mode 1st. This let me establish what frequency settings would work for my ISV. Then I backed off the throttle stop to cause the engine to stall then increased the 'Idle duty at upper temp' duty cycle until the car would idle smoothly. The 'idle duty at lower temp' wasn't really given much thought as the car was already warm. I will address them later. These are the setting I have found to give a steady 1100rpm idle.

[​IMG]

After this I then switched to 'Closed loop only' mode. This gives more control over the ISV for things like recovering from RPM drops and high load situations. This took considerable messing around with various fast/slow response settings to get it to work. I also loaded up the engine by switching on every electrical item in the car.

More fine tuning might be undertaken along with fast idle lower temp stuff but so far the following settings have given the smoothest & robust idle I can manage. I never got the K-Jet setup to idle any lower or better but this may be due to the lightened flywheel.

[​IMG]

I hope this helps the setting up of idle control on your cars.

Gurds

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  10. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Good work there. Will be fitting an idle valve onto mine as it idles really low when first starting up around 750-800rpm. Plus i have AC and that should add some load to th engine.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Very impressed with the demo drive last night, Gurds. It gets to 69.9 mph very rapidly!

12. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

No problem Mike. It's even quicker when I take 75kgs out of it ;).

Gurds

BenGould likes this.
  13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I'll have to pop over and see this at some stage - impressive turnround.

What does the 'backside' dyno make of the improvements so far?

14. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Butt dyno says :thumbup: at the mo.

More effortless to drive with better midrange torque and a stronger top end & higher rev limit. I will be going back to Streamline very soon to evaluate the results and tweeking to provide hard facts.

Gurds

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Pretty much what you were aiming for I guess? Superb.

Would be great to see it run at Streamline for the back-to-back.

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

90+ kilos, in my case... you're too kind, sir.

Hard to make a BHP estimate, as I wasn't in it pre-megasquirt, and the low ratio diff makes it VERY quick through the gears.

17. Toyotec

It was very fast pre megasquirt. Was even more angry with the initial mapping that I did to get it going. Gurds has been fettling with this since then, so should be even more refined.
    I will evaluate on road soon and it would be ready to hit the rolls to just tidy up the numbers if you like.

When you starting yours Mike. What do you need to give encouragement:lol:

18. Mike_H Forum Addict

I need the car back from having its cage fitted first!

Any update, Gurds?

19. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Update time! We went back to Garage Streamline for the final tweeks and assesment. All the mapping conducted since the MS install has been done on the road and due to the environment (my tincan of a car) detection of DET was proving to be difficult. So we kept the mapping to what felt safe and worked on drivability rather than blow a hole through a piston. Lol.

Now with DET cans at the ready, Toyotec got to work. Initial power runs of the road tune gave 160bhp and close to 150lbft torque. This was already 10bhp up on my K-Jet setup along with a 15lbft torque across the band, not just peak.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But alas, Toyotec looked calm and focused and proceeded to tweek the map data and remained quiet.

[​IMG]

The next few runs and more changes gave a result that made us all look twice including Aminder and tshirt2k who were also there. We looked at Toyotec who just smirked. Lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the final run resulted in 174bhp & 163.64lbft torque!!! This is a wopping 14bhp increase and a massive 28lbft torque increase over my K-Jet setup! And its, not just peak. There is over 145lbft torque from 2500rpm to 6300rpm and over 160lbft between 3900rpm and 5600rpm.

[​IMG]

And here is a comparison between my K-Jet run on the CGTI day and my final run lats night.

[​IMG]

To say I am happy with the result is an understatement. The drivability of the car has been much improved but with loads more pull!!

Firstly, thank you Toyotec for all the work he has put in mapping the car prior to and at the rolling road. Also thank you to Garage Streamline for use of the facilities. Thank you to Chris Eyre for the photography & videography and finally thank you to Aminder for paying for it all, I will sort you out in maybe 2020.

[​IMG]

Gurds

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  20. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

Well done lads........ :thumbup:
    Should be notably faster now.
    We will have a few drag races so you can see the difference as you kick my ass when my car is out back on the road.........