Ouch! Con Rod Bearing You Have To See This!!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Edds_mk2_16v, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Edds_mk2_16v Forum Member

Funny you should say that! as i thought it was 1 half of a cap but your correct.....its both halfs mashed together!!! :lol: i managed to seperate them!

2. Edds_mk2_16v Forum Member

Ok, i used the vaseline trick, so i guess i owe TSC a drink! :) after building sump back onto the block i spun the engine over untill the oil light went out.

This took a matter of a few seconds and the oil light went off, so i presumed all was ok!

As off what oil came out, it was typical "i've just killed somthing" Grey Silt/ small slithers of metal (One of the bearings!!) [:x]

I have never herd the buzzer go off tbh, but there again the last engine never had any serious oil loss!! so again as the oil light went off, i thought all was ok!

Should have answerd all these in one reply but there we go!!

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

5 drinks. It's inflation, you know?:lol:

4. Edds_mk2_16v Forum Member

:lol: ...Dam i have to use that trick again in a few days when it all goes back together!

5. neil kaye Forum Junkie

have you replaced the oil cooler,i was told to do this after bearing failure as all the little particals gather in ther then float back round the oil system

i have an engine to go in my car at ome point when i can be bothered,its been honed .new rings and new shells,its been dry stored for bwt 2 and a half years now so im going to have a realy good read of all this again nearer the time so i dont end up with the same happening

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Good tip there. :clap:

I also heard of people who`ve blown a turbo, just fitting a new one and not cleaning out/replacing the intercooler...so where do you think all those bits of compressor wheel and oil went...;)

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats well nasty! I had a 1.8 kr lump high miler that had been sat for 2 year with a sump full of oil. all I did was whip the sump off, prime the pump and threw it in, no problems. Was stored in my garage on its back!

8. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sounds like you've done just about everything right... but the con-rod bolts are supposed to be one shot only. I wonder if the re-used bolts have not held the bearing caps in place properly, and allowed the bearing to move? Once that happens it would block the oil hole, and probably cause the rest of the damage.

9. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Hmm, particularly if they were on their second or third use... it doesn't take a lot of movement of the bearing to block that oil hole even partially, or the bearing could have been drilled wrong? That way you would still have plenty of oil pressure, but none to the bearing/journal interface.
    They weren't fitted upside down or anything? I don't even know if that's possible, I tend not to experiment with that sort of thing because itz zsience - but you could possibly have ended up with the oil hole at the cap end of the rod, not the rod end?

10. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Ooops, mains not rod bearings... same thoughts apply though...

11. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Double oops, rod not main bearings, READ THE FECKIN POST TSC!
    And stop drinking at work lunches. And clean your bloody kitchen, it's disgusting.

12. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

TSC,

Where are the oil holes in the con rods? Are these just on 16V or on 8V as well....as I don't recall ever having seen them?

Anyone got any pictures??

13. neil kaye Forum Junkie

oh dear, he put oops cause he was thinking of mains,conrods dont have em

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Hmmm... just checked on my 8v rods and they don't have oil holes... I thought some rods did have a hole up the middle... but it looks like I'm probably talking out of my oil hole (again) [:$]

Either way, once they've started moving you're knackered, and used rod bolts might not have helped.

Coat, please!

15. Dr Zoidberg

Dr Zoidberg Forum Member

@mitlom-do you have the dimensions of the bearing holder for that tool please so I can knock one up. I'm in work and bored and I'm gonna need one of those when I come to put my rebuilt engine in.
    Cheers
    Karl

16. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

8v don't have oil holes, 16v do.

17. neil kaye Forum Junkie

[/QUOTE]
    8v don't have oil holes, 16v do.[/QUOTE]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

we are talking con rods arnt we and not crankshaft,,anyway
    these are from an 88 kr and they dont have oil holes

18. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

I think G60s might? Not sure, never owned one. Still, even if it did have oil holes and they became blocked by being shifted (bad news anyway!) or wrong drilling - it would only up the oil pressure to the rest of the engine due to no oil being "lost" to the conrods, and not set off the buzzer?

19. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Hi Karl,

Not off the top of my head....I will grab the verniers when I get home tonight and measure for you.

20. Edds_mk2_16v Forum Member

Ok, I sent my crank off the other day to be re-ground!

Should be ready for Monday.

Think its going to cost about 150 but that is including both sets of shells and vat ect!

I'll see how much they take off of the crank when i get it back!!!

Update you soon!!!