Political Question?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Golden, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Dubya Forum Junkie

So should I believe that you are no longer a proponent of religion, rather of 'enlightenment'. The trouble with enlightenment is, if you are truly enlightened then you will not wish to be in a position of power, so you will have a hard time influencing the thoughts and actions of others. Therefore, your role would be fairly inconsequential in the global society.

2. azrael Forum Member

No if you were enlightened you would not seek to abuse a position of power. It is the workings of society that prevent "the philosophers being kings" as plato put it.

3. superden Forum Addict

And what right does a philospher have to be a king.

And whats a king ... if not a position of power ?

4. Golden Forum Junkie

semantics

plural noun usu. treated as sing. 1 the branch of linguistics and logic concerned with meaning. 2 the meaning of a word, phrase, sentence, or text.

DERIVATIVES semanticist noun.

So I suppose looking at the description of number 2 you may be right, I am arguing about semantics.

Its all about the meaning of a word isnt it, lets disregard semantics then and try something.

Azrael, you are an idiotic madman with tendencies towards mass murder.

Now if you disregard the stupid little meanings of the words that sentence may mean in my head.

Azrael, you are an idyllic mentor with tendencies towards genius

Well never know though, cos those silly word meanings get in the way of understanding, dont they.

5. azrael Forum Member

You people talk so much tripe. You degrade discussion until no points are able to be made and it devolves to some pathetic slanging match.
    You can quote the dictionary as much as you like golden my initial point that it is either a godless mindset or misconceptions of divinity that lead to the thirst for power which starts all wars is a fair one.
    This is all IMHO of course and i`m sure you`d love to disagree but to do so only on the basis that atheism doesn`t always mean a thirst for power ignores the predominant trends of history.

`Den.....Sod it theres no point, I`ll leave you to your cynicism and whiskey maybe it works for you.

6. Golden Forum Junkie

So what you're saying is anyone who is godless is inherently evil or power mad?

7. octane Forum Junkie

8. azrael Forum Member

I could say anything and you`d make out that I was insulting someone or other.
    What do you think I was trying to say, use your brain boy.

9. superden Forum Addict

I wish you would.

Ta ta.

:)

10. Golden Forum Junkie

I wasnt implying anything other than yet again youve posted a statement that was factually incorrect.

I know exactly what you were trying to say, that those without the divine guidance of religion will automatically resort to deviant behaviour.

I am not pointing this out as an insult but as a grossly incorrect statement with no factual basis.