Problems with a mk2 KR turbo

Discussion in '16-valve' started by caistor_bmx, Mar 26, 2011.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

What are you actually getting done? have you accurately measured the bores? Are you going to get pictures of the bores to see the extent of any damage?

2. danster Forum Addict

If the bores are not too damaged and worn, then just a light hone and some oem 16v KR pistons should be all you need.
    OEM KR pistons because Sparrow mentions the conrods have been re-bushed offset to lower compression.
    Got a spare set of good KR pistons here if it helps. :thumbup:

3. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Well, taking the block out tommorow and have a lad who more than knows his stuff comming over wednesday to tell me what he think is best. It seems a little pointless getting an accurate measure of the bores atm as i'm pretty certain they need a re-bore and hone and have a good 3mm left in them. I just need to get rid of the rough top lip on the top of bores 1 and 4 and can then be told piston sizes ect to see if i can still put in a set off krs (thanks for the offer danster) in as standard. Otherwise its new rods and pistons with a little bit of work gone into the rods too which im pretty sure the same guy can do to :)

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  4. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The whole point if the measurement is to see if you need a rebore. You dont usually go for a rebore unless the bores are damaged or worn. It's not usually something you just do for the sake if it. Especially when you could easily get another larger block for near the same cost.

5. caistor_bmx Forum Member

So honing should remove the crappy edge at the top of the stroke? Sorry if it seems like we are going round in circles [:$]

6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The edge is usually carbon and scrapes off, unless there is alot of wear. That's why you need to get pics up and measure accurately. Not just rebore for the hell if it.;)

7. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Ok, got a scrap 8v block today and a medium grade honer to try on it this evening to get my skills before doing the real thing, will post up before and after shots to see what you think and weather im up to the job [:s]

Here is a lovely looking piston after taking off the rings

[​IMG]

here is my practice block

[​IMG]

and here is my first go!

[​IMG]

So... any top tips?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

If you're doing it with those 3 legged honers, you'd probably need to strip the block. Unless you go for a flexhone which is more forgiving for novices.

I guess your not measuring anything then?

9. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Not at the moment, I tried 5 different places today and about 4 proper garages and none of them had measuring gauges. Not to sure what to do really. This is just a practice block anyhow, im sure I can find another if needs be.

10. tomsdubs Forum Member

Dude just buy a micrometer set with a bore gauge seriously you are wasting time and money otherwise. I could have that measured up in a few mins and know exactly what needs doing. Bore gauge top, middle and bottom then you know exactly what the state of play is.

11. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Dont even talk to me about wasting my time, as stated went to 4 garages and 5 good auto shops today to try find one. Do you have a web link to a decent non 200 one?

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Is that your piston? Just a bit of det then![:^(] Are you using lube/parrafin? you should be moving in and out and spinning at a fairly slow speed.

Hard to get right with one of those. thats why i bought one of theses.

[​IMG]

Did this.

[​IMG]

13. caistor_bmx Forum Member

I'm using a generic oil that i have in the house, I do have paraffin but don't want to stink out the house. Flexihone does give a good finish, just in most the online vids about honing they use the 3 block honer so i got that instead. Will try nuking it with oil and going fairly slow then. I dont think Im going to get a finish quite as rough as you have either due to the stones

14. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

The flexhone i have is 240grit. Half the price from US. ;)Its flexy enough not to damage oil squirters, although i did cover crank and squirters with an oiled rag it puts the right amount of pressure pressure on the bores to give the right finish. I made sure i cleaned thouroughly afterwards.

15. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Got pistons sorted thanks to danster. Going to stick with my de-glazer as I have already bought it and had a practice, now happy with the results especially after reading that alot of people just use a fine grit sandpaper [:s] Anyhow still trying to get hold of a bore gauge to make sure everything is right. Impossible is an understatement

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

You can use a bore micrometer too. Will give good enough readings. Try to get decent rings too. I used goetze ones they are OE quality and designed for used bores.

17. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

I have nothing constructive to add other than good luck with getting it sorted and hats off for getting stuck in about it.

:)

18. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Thanks neo badness, and tshirt2k i will try grab one but a mate has sorted me with a gauge if he has managed to rob it from work which should be fine as most the pistons he deals with are attached to car transporter boats so 80mm bores arent that common.

Nehoo went to a local garage with my block to show the guy there my honing and he said he would be more than happy with the results I got. He told me how to do the rings too which was nice of him. So essentially as soon as the pistons arrive I should be done in a night :-)

19. danster Forum Addict

Pistons were posted yesterday morning from Scotlandshire.
    Just make sure you keep everything very clean when reassembling the engine. All those metal particles and grit from the honing, and other general dirt from stripping down the engine need to be removed before reassembly.

20. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Yea. i used paraffin to clean up. and kept cleaning until all the grey had gone. If you are keeping crank in, make sure its covered and protected. But my flexhone was a bit easier on the parts.