Problems with a mk2 KR turbo

Discussion in '16-valve' started by caistor_bmx, Mar 26, 2011.

1. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Yer no problems, I am going to put a rag down each bore anyhow to protect the oil jets from grit ect. I bough 5l of parrafin and a paint brush the other day when I practiced my honing and have taken it to the garage with a good pre head gasket clean down. just need to get the gasket and bolts now :-D

2. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Right, bores honed. New pistons on conrods and gaskets/bolts ordered from GSF. Tommorrow is D-day me thinks. May try and get the pistons in this afternoon but not sure if I can be arsed with filing down the rings today. Bores have been measured with a bore gauge and they are all spot on so happy with that too.

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Rings don't always need filing. You need to put them down the bore and check with a feeler gauge.

4. caistor_bmx Forum Member

What is the gap on a 16v kr?

5. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Think I posted earlier in the thread.

6. danster Forum Addict

Ring gap is something like 0.2 - 0.6mm with a wear limit of 1mm.

7. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Cheers as always lads, and Cheers dan in the first place for the pistons!

8. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Right boys, she is fully re-build... now how do I prime her?

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Disconnect king lead and FPR and turn over until Oil light goes out. But your not gonna be running it without sorting the fuelling are you? You'll be doing it all over again.

10. caistor_bmx Forum Member

The idea is to get her running, keep her on full boost whilst running in the engine so the extra injectors are on all the time, then when i go back to uni gonna head to stealth racing and see if the problem can be sorted. Obv i will be staying off boost during the running in.

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Don't go above 3.5 - 4k. But try to load and unload (overun) the engine without labouring it, so the rings bed in properly.

12. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Right, started her up today and she was loud as fook,popping and banging and then cut out. I was nearly sick as I thought I had just nuked my engine. I was having a look about as I noticed some smoke rise from the rear and spotted that somhow one of the exhaust gaskets had swung round and not gone in both bolts [8(] so I sorted that and then struck her up...perfect.

Just a couple of questions,

Is it normal for her to sound a little 'flappy' at the moment until the rings bed in?

Is it normal for her to take a little cranking when hot? Again I assume this is until she is bed in, I have only done 10 miles in her so far :)

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Mine didnt sound too good for a while. But your risking it with the current fueling setup and without a wideband. You dont know what the injection is doing.

14. emery1990 Forum Member

15. caistor_bmx Forum Member

The main cause of my problem was the boost control solenoid breaking so I was boosting to 15psi when it was meant to be 8 without the extra injectors. I didnt notice this for about a week until I thought my new turbo was playing up and just thought HOOOOLLY **** but by this point the damage had been done.

16. emery1990 Forum Member

The wideband would of spotted it was running lean before it blew up lol On ebay you can prob get them for near 100, I havn't got a gauge but tshirt2k has made me see sense. Either 70 for a gauge or couple of hundred for an engine rebuild!

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Plus time and grief doing it all.;)

Have you got your gauge yet emery?

18. caistor_bmx Forum Member

Yer I need to get one sorted really, waiting on my student loan to come through :-D

19. emery1990 Forum Member

Not yet ! That loosebolts man said 70, but I can get it from the uk for 70 anyway! I'll order one next week.