Scruffy red MK2 Golf Road Rally car

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by TonyB, Jan 1, 2014.

1. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

It fits easy on mine with one long curve, although most parts are bespoke, so maybe more clearance than with std parts.....pic below. Might have shortened it or used an 8v one or something though, can't recall now....i just use what works best, don't take much notice what it came with or is 'supposed' to have fitted lol.

Actually, thinking about it, its an 8v block, as they are more plentiful and always have less wear on them, as I have to use std bore sizes due to the regs. I imagine the dipstick is in the same place though, as the base 8v and 16v blocks are pretty much identical.

IMG_20221022_085936_resized_20221022_090205563.jpg

daNpy likes this.
  2. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

As John says you can use one or the other. The works Audi STW engines just use the middle one, but other version just use the end one.

What is tricky though is the plumbing, if you just blank the heater hoses and one or two of the others you can serious reduce the flow through the water pump, whilst it looks perfectly fine from the outside. Can't recall what the issue is at the moment, but you need to have good look inside the pump etc and have a good think about the flow through the pump/thermostat etc. I reverted to pretty much the std set up in the end, as it worked best, plus I need a plumbed and working heater for regs, so was easiest.

3. daNpy Forum Member

Yeah I've read it too, but already having heat issues (120°C), I'm not sure closing an outlet on the head will be the best idea. We'll see, it's not the highest point on my list [:D]

4. Hot Water Forum Member

That 8v "hotrod" motor looks fun!

5. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, purchased it blind, but the previous owner was a regular on here, and a racer, who unfortunately passed away. Saw it pop up being sold by the family and the deal was you buy the twin 45's and pay a few quid for the engine which may or may not be a running race engine. Well, knowing who it was and what I could see I purchased it from the few pics as the carbs and bits I could see would cover my gamble. Turned out to be fresh, I think its only done dyno time to be honest.

Doing some digging, and there is a post on here that mentions this specific engine as far as I can tell. The dark blue paint on the block, under the black, and known history point to it being originally built by Mike Callaghan Motorsport, but its been through a few race shops since then I think, so the exact spec is unknown. But it has big cams, proper solid lifters, big valves and decent porting, ARP bolts throughout the bottom end and all the normal bits you would expect on a decent spec race engine of the period. Measures up as 2.0ltr, which is a shame really, as a nice short stroke 1.8 or 1.9 would have been nicer I think. The only part that looks under spec are the std looking pistons, no doubt machines to suit with big compression.

I'm tempted to run it on a MK1 plenum and stand alone injection. I have a decent ported Slick 50 inlet/plenum here that has been cut up and fully ported and welded back up, so be fun to see what it could give on some modern mapping and a decent spec.

Return the car to Road Rally spec.

daNpy likes this.
  6. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Not had much time recently, but here is an in-car clip of a recent test day at Llandow. Edited out the 3 or 4 laps hunting down the Radical, Caterham and the very quick Nova (proper British Tarmac Rally Championship car) as that was a bit mundane.

Started it where I had been watching a fast Caterham in the rear view mirror for a few laps, thought he would catch me on the pit straight and moved over but he was not quite quick enough, so moved over plenty early on the back straight and lifted, to give him a run. Unfortunately the tyres were shot once I caught them all up and eventually they were totally gone so had to come in, but the car is going well. quick enough in a straight line and riding the kerbs well.

I've got my spare 02a box fitted at the moment as my proper box is broken awaiting repair. This ones just got a 16v gear set, 4.25 FD and Quaife diff, so not the best but was ok. Losing traction in the twisty bits where as a plate diff would have bitten far hard........you can see the Nova making ground, and far too high geared. Think something like 4.80:1 would be idea but proper FD's are rare and viciously expensive for these boxes. This is geared for something like 160 mph @ 8000 where as my proper box is about 120mph @ 8000, so far better suited.

Out at Epynt in a couple of months, just for the craic, but should go ok....if I can find soem suitable front tyres, all the good ones are banned now :-(. Thinking about soem Yoko A052 as they are list 1B and they do the right sizes but are expensive........see if I can save up and put two on the front, the rears should just follow so not so essential :-)

7. daNpy Forum Member

That's quite a bumpy track isn't it [:D] With the stabilized cam the car looks to go all over the place :lol:

Whats the meter in the center supposed to display?

8. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I've 185 60 14 A052s on the RallyKa, and tbh, in the dry I wasn't blown away? Power understeer/wheelspin with small bhp. 130 bhp then, 140 at a recent wet track day.

Surprised me with their wet weather grip though, very capable.