Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by altern8, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Mizz_P Forum Member

as a non smoker, i didnt think that the smoking ban would really affect me...but i love it. i can go out on the weekend without coming home with my hair and clothes smelling of fag ash. the smoking bans the best thing thats happened in years =)

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

This is a carry over from vw.golf.girl`s thread in Member`s Mugs:

Seraph: Though it is possible that Roy Castle was the victim of passive smoking there is absolutely no scientific evidence to back up the claims. I agree that to some the mere fact that it could be possible is enough to cause worry. Hence why when I smoked I endeavoured to keep my smoke away from others out of consideration (as I`ve previously mentioned)
    When I said cancer has a potential in all of us, I meant there are people who believe that cutting out all vices and living a `healthy` lifestyle makes them think they are immune from it. This simply isn`t the case and they should realise that they are also susceptible (though admittedly less likely)
    This did start out as a rant, but now see it as healthy debate and not at all a vendetta. As I said at the beginning I (and many others) feel that those who try to `advise` people on how they should conduct their lives come across as moralistic and a bit `preachy`.
    Finally, when I said `That`s the end of the debate...` I did say `...on this thread`, meaning I didn`t want to hijack vw.golf.girl`s thread any longer and would continue it here. :)

3. prof Forum Addict

there are ways to reduce your risk of developing "some" cancers, and "some " activities will increase your risk of getting some cancers. So you can help yourself to some extent

However, as cancer is the opposite side of the coin to ageing-cell growth vs cell decay, it's a fairly inevitable outcome for many folk

4. Aphex Forum Junkie

The only problem I reckon I'm going to encounter is the thick smog of smokers who will wait outside somewhere to get in. It's happening at Tesco's already as people are not allowed to smoke on Bank grounds as it were. At the entrance theres about 15 people smoking at any one point and you have to pass through them to get in.

I want the police to bestow power upon me to hand out the fines. Becuase, dammit, I'd do it and wouldn't care at all. :lol:

5. prof Forum Addict

Personally i love smokers

They pay loads into the treasury, and die early so they take very little out in terms of pensions etc.

They should get medals for laying down their lives in this heroic fashion

If the number of smokers significantly drops then expect some higher taxes on other things

6. red 8V Forum Member

hear hear prof

7. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Used to smoke about 5 years back and making an exception for the 30th.
    Got a big hand rolled cuban cigar in for the day.

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

10 weeks since my last rollie, and that sounds soooo tempting....

9. inoakgreen Forum Member

i stopped smoking 5yrs back, defo the best thing i've done!! however i do have mates who smoke, and tbh if i was out with them at pubs or something i'd rather they could just chill with a fag than be restricted. i can understand why people regard smokers as tabboo (because it effects their heatlh as well), but for the same arguament, shouldn't they ban drinking as well. drinkers can get aggressive, which can also effect people directly around them? where do you draw the line??

10. misteralz Forum Member

You've not read the rest of this thread, have you?
    Superden, where are you? :thumbup:

11. Dubya Forum Junkie

Found a bit of a fault in the grand plan to save the world from my smoke.

One of the rules is no smoking in company vans, even if you are the only person in there. So today at work instead of smoking in the van and keeping all that smoke to myself I have had to stand by the van at the side of the road and therefore share all my smoke with innocent and vulnerable passersby.

12. Broke Forum Member

A smoking ban is good.

It is needed to produce a secure and sanitary utopia.

We need the brilliant collective minds of the elected officials (who truly have nothing but OUR best ineterests at heart) to dictate what we people should and should not do.

I need them to tell me what I can and cannot do. I am not able to make those decisions myself.

I need them to tell me what I'm allowed to have, and not allowed to have.

I trust in them that they will always be looking out for me, that the oath of public office they swore to means that they will always think of me first, the common man, before themselves or their agency.

They know enough to control firearms in a responsible way, and auto mobiles are logically governed, and they abvioulsy know what is best for me to consume, just like they know what is best for me to own, and how I should act.

Baaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

Broke

13. b'locks Forum Addict

i'm in favour of the ban because it suits me. **** everyone else.

i only ever smoke when i'm out drinking. i don't want to smoke but once i've had a drink i just can't resist it. if noone else is smoking around me and it's not allowed for me to smoke then it means i don't spend the next week coughing my guts up and my hang over the next morning is virtually non-existent.

suits me fine. [:^:]

14. Admin Guest

smoking ban is a fcking waste of space!

should of made it all public spaces, open or closed!

sat watching the cars today at silverstone some silly bint and her sister chain smoking through the sessions, smoke right in my face,

and before any one harps on that i could of moved, they weren't smoking when we sat down.
    1, but then why should i move? i have every right to be there and not be polluted
    2, not really an option to move given the amount of folk there and choice of viewing places

15. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

How lovely it is now to be able to breathe in clean air while enjoying a pint and a meal in a pub.

16. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Shame y' have to go outside to talk to y're mates now.
    still I guess it's better than free choice, hey?

17. Admin Guest

none of my mates smoke, infact i'd really struggle to list any one i know that does...

18. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Hi,
    The odd cigar here and there, but only to be sociable.;)

19. timbutjack Forum Member

the smoking ban is a good thing...simple as

20. Nordoff Forum Junkie

So is banning cars that go over 70, safer for other road users.
    Same argument mate.;)