Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by altern8, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I find the whole thing a little odd, the non-smokers want to breath fresh air so we make the smokers go outside, which is where the fresh air is!?
    Seriously now, I am a smoker but don't even smoke in my own house for sake of my wife & kids. I really don't see the problem for smokers to go outside for a cigarette. What does **** me off is non smokers complaining about smoke when they're outdoors. There is no health risk from the occasional waft of smoke from a smoker as you walk past them, ok you may not like the smell but there are plenty of other unpleasant smells around, what should the govt. do next ban BO & unpleasant perfume/aftershave?
    I am also alittle confused as to what the Govt is hoping to achieve, do they really want every smoker in the UK to quit? If that happened income tax would need to go up by 3% to make up for the lost revenue from tobacco sales, former smokers would continue dying from cancer etc for the next 30 years & the NHS would be bancrupt.

2. bens_cab Forum Junkie

well the smoking ban is good even tho im a smoker i think its funny that your all happy with it hope you dont mind paying extra tax on fuel and income tax over the next few years

so now not only will the smokers be skint so will the non smokers

cant wait for a complete ban then it will be a different story there will be protests over tax and i reckon you will all want us smokers to start buying fags again welldone the the govt lol

sorry to all the non smokers must be harsh but atleast you smell fresh lol

3. superden Forum Addict

I have similar issues regarding where all the lost revenue will come from when smoking is eventually banned outright, which is where this is heading. As with any ban, all I can say is that its all well and good jumping on the bandwagon now and supporting yet another government sponsored, scare-tactic riddled, knee-jerk reaction because it suits your own personal opinion, but one day they may well ban something you happen to enjoy yourself. Smoking may be 'anti-social' but you give them the mandate now and its little more than tacit consent for them to ban whatever they please.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2007
  4. Nordoff Forum Junkie

:clap:
    What was that poem?
    They came for the jews, I wasn't jewish so I did nothing
    They came for the poor, I wasn't poor so I did nothing
    They came for the ...
    ends with
    They came for me and there was no-one left to help me.

They came for the smokers...;)

The next proposed ban is on martial arts weapons, that one does affect me.
    Like the anti gun laws have proved, criminal's don't care and it's the law abiding people who suffer.

Just look at Okinawa when the japanese banned weapons from their people, banning weapons just doesn't work.

5. superden Forum Addict

First They Came for the Jews by Martin Niemller, often crosses my mind in discussions like this.

6. Seraph Banned

I've been carrying a Kobutan around for years, and intend to continue
    My defense.....it's a keyring, honest officer!

7. Broke Forum Member

It would have worked if they would have thought far enough ahead to ban the farm tools too, as those same rice farming tools became tuifa, nunchaku, sai, bo and so on:clap:

Broke

8. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i see im not alone in my oppinions bring back smoking in public places

9. timbutjack Forum Member

but smoking is pointless, what does it acheive? people saying they might as well ban driving...why?, there is a point to driving...a much larger percentage of people drive than they do smoke. some people need to drive to get to work etc. why do people NEED to smoke? because their addicted.. well imo its their own fault for starting in the first place.

10. bens_cab Forum Junkie

car fumes kill the enviroment and people just because its useful doesnt mean they wont ban it

smoking is addictive thats our choice a human right if we want to shorten our lifespan then we will

my smoke isnt killing you now but your car is killing me whats the difference?

11. timbutjack Forum Member

cant see them banning driving tbh lol. the world wouldnt 'run' without transport

somehow i think we can survive without smoking [:[]

12. bens_cab Forum Junkie

i know that i was just pointing out this is the start of the end and all the non smokers dont see the wider picture off a smoking ban

but they will when they start paying the tax on fuel and income tax ect the govt will get the money back from the people who voted for a smoking ban just makes me laugh when everyone goes on about how good it is to breath fresh air

well fresh smog

13. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Do they need to smoke tyres though?;)

14. bens_cab Forum Junkie

15. superden Forum Addict

There are plenty of carcinogens in exhaust fumes and on a daily basis, I breathe more of those in than I do 'second hand smoke' (do they have dealerships for that, like a dodgy second hand car plot with bunting, only selling boxes full of smoke ... yeah, JPS this, only inhaled once mate) so what is potentially going to cause me more health issues ? I dont really care about either but thats not the point. How many car journeys, on a percentage basis, would you consider necessary ? Most of the time people drive because its convenient, not because they 'need' to. Smoking is the current target, one day it may be something we all enjoy. Still, so long as 'the people' can go out without smoke making their designer clothes smell, its all going to be just fine ...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  16. MacDaddy UK Forum Member

its alright now though, major tax increases are coming on alcohol so no-one will be able to afford to go to the pub anyway wether you can smoke there or not

17. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Yes, smoking is pointless however so is drinking alcohol, perhaps that should be banned too. It causes health problems & antisocial behaviour just like smoking, it also contributes huge amounts of tax revenue to the govt.

Whilst driving, for a reason, is not pointless Motorsport certainly is, so we'd better ban that as well. All those cars burning huge amounts of nasty, polluting, fossil fuels! The fact that it gives a lot of people enjoyment, and employment for that matter, doesn't count.

So ban tobacco, alcohol & motorsport. We'll all be miserable & paying 50% income tax, but what the hell we'll be healthier & smell better

18. Rainey Forum Member

I smoke and i don't mind the ban, i think its a bit daft in pubs and clubs why can;t they have a smoking room not just an area, i think its great in restaurants. the local country pubs near me aint liking it tho.

19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Ooh! Now who`s the irresponsible one...[:s] :lol:

20. bens_cab Forum Junkie

the whole thing stinks of tax increase