UK Kamei Mk1 Golf Replica - Prescott Hillclimb on page 53 !!!!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by fthaimike, Jun 5, 2005.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Right next job on the cards was a single headlight conversion:

Managed to find a single headlight grill (center part) but it was from some other model in the mk1 series as it had huge blanking plates over 50%spread overeach end & were part of the mold so i had to jig-saw out each individual gap between the slots after drilling a hole to get the blade infreeing up the slots in the grill which took about 4hrs [xx(].

Surprising how heavy the grill & center lights were when i removed them (more weight gone :thumbup:), & now with the new grill in, there should be loads more air getting into the engine compartment too.

I still have to find a VW badge to put in the center of grill & paint the bonnet lock protector that you can see behind the grill (center of grill).

Before:

[​IMG][​IMG]

After:

[​IMG][​IMG]

EDIT:I couldn't decide on whether to put the grill spoiler back on?
    Edited by: fthaimike

2. davidvsb Forum Member

Looks ace as it is, leave it off. :clap:

3. vrooooom Forum Member

Thats looking well smart!! [:D] [:D]

Glad to see your putting the garage to good use too!! [:D]

4. Threeeightsix Forum Member

looks good mate.. Leave the eyebrow off!!

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

gotta find a black vw badge from somewhere now?

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

Started to get back to work on that horrible glue left on the inside of the roof yesterday using some tar remover from halfrauds which seems to work but i had to stop after spending about an hour on a 1.5 x 1.5 ft area as my arms were knackered from stretching my arms & rubbing :lol:.

Might do another bit today or maybe get some black spray to do the plate behind where the vw badge goes on the grill (bonnet release protector).

7. Torquey Forum Member

Just found this thread. Top work mate. Just waiting for b/band so I can be bothered to download the video. :clap: :clap: :clap:

8. thebluebus Forum Junkie

looks really good! leave the spoiler off :p

9. davidvsb Forum Member

PM your adress and Ill send you a black badge if ou want m8.

10. fthaimike Forum Addict

Thanxs for the badge mate (just gotta cut the mk1 grill/mk2 badge to fit :lol:).

Well got a big piece of the jigsaw today: [:D][8D]

One complete VAG frontend :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had this blanking plate which i haven't seen before?

[​IMG]

That fits on either side like this:

[​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

hoping to get it smoothed over as much as possible (bumper holes etc).

Will start to chase up the back panel once funds permit it (getting tight coming up to crimbo).
    Edited by: fthaimike

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

good stuff mike. :clap:
    where from? vw?

the blanking plate normally goes on the left (pic 4) afaik.

12. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yeah from VW mate, wont be able to use blanking plate on left of pic as that's where my oil cooler is, they have no stock of the rear panel anymore [:^(]

13. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Easy to get back panel - type in 'crazyquiffs mk1 emporium' into google - he will get you a back panel - he has them in stock afaik

in fact i think Riley got one off him???? [:s]

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

cheers mate....145 [:^(]better start saving

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

aye,still sat there waiting to be fitted :lol:

i think? theyre actually from the sa mk1's???

quality panel though still being vw :)

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

Is there any difference to the panel? as i was chatting to someone earlier about a front panel on the citi being different.

17. VdubNash Forum Member

Top notch thread :clap:

18. kevh Forum Member

your cars comeing on well mike. i like your dash pukka m8. that panal looks good to . gona be intresting to see well it performs on track .. garage looks good to, .. paul

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

Right even though i put this in the comp section for an older thread i'm pasting it here as it to do with the car:

Right i got my laptop back off my mate which has been sorted, here's what he done:

The battery was removed from it's casing & in in place within the case (as you need to keep the battery case for the connections & there is a HD tucked underneath it) a large capacitor (takes up to 40v) set into a large block af aluminium (heatsink) & made a hole at the side of the laptop (just above/right of yellow cover & is coated in hardened resin stuff) & gave me 2 leads, one with that standard round connector (like the power supplies) on one end & a cigarette lighter at the other end & a second lead with the round connector at both end as i haven't decided which to put into the new panel in the dash yet (he gave me the male connector for this to solder in).

He alsogave me one of those fuse holders to put in the curcuit (3amps) which you can fit into dash & just screw cap off to pull out fuse).

The connections & stuff to the left of pic where because the battery uses four connectors (something to do with it charging etc) so he had to make a small curcuit there.

[​IMG]

edit: he said i need to start the engine then connect power to laptop otherwise the laptop thinks the battery is about to loose charge & switches off.

&when usingthe mainssupply to remove the converter 1st or it could go bang (not that he tried it) [​IMG].

Only thing i have to decide now is if i put the cigarette lighter back into the new panel im making for where the ash tray used to be or to put a new custom connection there (round pin) & buy or make up a connection for the k-star next to it.

Im tempted to stick to the cigarette lighter as you can always plug other stuff in there & i managed to dismatle the old one keeping the ilumination surround for it to illuminate it.