Volkswagen Golf R20 - Frankfurt Motorshow

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by Deako, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Ess Three Forum Member

It's not? Since when?

2. Ess Three Forum Member

Absolutely...
    It never ceases to amaze me that Herr Bloggs will drop 30,000 into his new Golf...but grudges the 100 per year it costs him to pay a man to change the oil...or the 40 and 1 hour of his time it takes to do it himself.

Very odd...

"Oh but I can get up to 18000 miles or 18 months out of the black sludge that's slowly killing my engine".
    Super!

3. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

the vectra say's 20k, i make it do 25k before it gets new oil. Thats why I like it, it works best with sludge :lol: :lol:

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I couldnt agree more. And thats why i use time and date servicing on my Golf. Its just coming up to 3k miles since the last oil change, and will be dropped at the end of this month.

5. robertGTi3

robertGTi3 Forum Member

from the side it looks like a bmw 1 series
    [​IMG]

i don't like it

6. Ess Three Forum Member

Seems like the price has got the current S3 owners a tad confused...quite right too!

You'd need to compare specs, but it's hard to see the reasoning behind having a VW priced pretty close too, or higher than, it's group 'Premium' competitor.
    Unless the Golf is a much better drive...?

Wouldn't be the first time...Mk4 R32 vs 8L S3 anyone?

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I expect the price to be closer to 25k. Prices havent even been talked about yet, all the mags are basically quoting the S3 price.

8. James_mk2 Forum Member

Absolutely, you can't argue it makes sense to use more compact force-induced engines i just think it's a shame.

9. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

For the same money you can have this TT 2.0 T S line, Chip it and brakes and you have something brand new that is so much nicer than the bland boring R20.

[​IMG]

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Its all personal opinion though Mike. I love the look of the TT but id never own one unless i had other more practical cars too.

11. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

it's a different car, and i suppose will be attracting buyers with different drivers. The new Z4 is also pretty tasty as competition to the TT.

Would be nice if they did a stripped track version like the megane!!

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

No offence, but given your age, and short length of time you`ve had your licence, I very much doubt a sane dealer will let you anywhere near one...

Usually 21 minimum, with 25 at some dealers...

13. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I say that because I test drove the 2.0 Scirocco and I hadn't had my license very long at all, if they think there's a chance you'll buy it then generally they'll give you a shot in it.

14. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

Yep agree Luke, but there is more room in there than you think. But if your buying a R20, practical is lower on the list than say if you want a deisel Mk6.

I test drove the new Rocco a while ago and scared the **** out of the slaes rep. After a 'spirited drive' he siad

'can we please take it back now' :lol:

15. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I did the same when I tested the Mk6 GTI... [:$] :lol:

Deep into three figures, and the salesman, `politely` reminded me it was the dealer princple`s own car...we were only out for 20 minutes... :lol:

16. micky1 Forum Member

OK the only fair comparitive you can draw is from the audi S3...it will be the same engine, running gear etc.

I can't see VW being allowed to undermine audi's premium S range with th R range.

I have run golfs for years as they are quite a practical car....mk5 is a genuine 5 seater now. You can't compaer them to a TT although again the same running gear etc.

The rocco IMO is a 2+2. they are tiny inside so again not a direct comparison.

In the general market, ie the real world they will depriciate as well as any other premium hatch ,ala S3

So the question is...will it out perform an S3...will it under cut an S3 and finally would you rather drive an S3 over a R20 golf???

17. Andy947 Forum Addict

Of course the rocco is a 2+2, its only got 2 rear seats!!!!!

Its no tiny inside either, you can confrtably fit 4 adults in the rocco. Can be a little dark for the rear passengers with the small windows and dark interior mind.

18. Adam_16v Forum Member

I think it looks really good, an understated working man's super hatch!! :thumbup:

However, at that price I think I'd still rather have my BMW [:$]

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Again, prices have not been confirmed for anywhere yet. They are just guessing using the S3 as a base for their estimations. :thumbup:

20. Adam_16v Forum Member

Don't get me wrong I think it will be a great car :thumbup:

I just think in the real world, I wouldn't spend that much on a vw considering it must be between 25-30k

It's going to be expensive to run too, even with a 4-pot!