Which Car would you buy tomorrow if they built them again.

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by Dave, Oct 3, 2010.

1. AndyG

AndyG Forum Member

Sorry but we have to draw the line some where :lol:

2. Marky-gee Forum Member

For me it's my old soft spot, I had one and would do it all over again !

Back to the late 80's early 90's, rave music, E's, and picking up chicks !!!!

Oh and can I have a sega mega drive to?

[​IMG]

3. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Andy. I know Volvo's lame excuse for not fitting turbos in RHD cars was the exhaust manifold. Same stupid excuse that BMW used for not making RHD E30 M3s![xx(]

We did not even get RHD 242s with any motor! No excuses for that![:x]

I was big into Volvos in the 1960s to 1980s.

My brother-in-law had a 122S. My friend Steve had a 131 2.0l chrome bore. I always wanted a 123GT. But every one I went to look at, in my price range, was rotten.

Best Volvo ever was the PV544 Sport. I would put it very close to the top of my buy tomorrow list, if they had ever made them in RHD.

[​IMG]

At Laycocks, my favourite test car was a 142. The handling and roadholding were superb, with the coil sprung rear end. Much better than the Capris, except for the FF Capris that is.

In about 1973, we also had a LHD 164 US spec, loaned by Volvo, because of bad 'J' Type noise problems. I was tasked with curing the problems. I spent many unhappy hours hauling the nasty thing around North Derbyshire roads, with the back full of noise recording macines. I remember that it was nasty because it was too front heavy, and had insensative power steering, which would wind on more lock halfway around a bend. Catching the back end was great fun.

One of the other engineers was using a Vauxhall Ventora. Luckily for the resr of us he wrote it off headfirst into a wall. Talk about zero handling and roadholding. Still an Opel trait I believe?

ps. I still have a workshop manual for the 122S, PV544 and the very, very, nasty hairdresser's P1600. It is still in perfect condition, in its original cardboard sleeve. Reliable Volvos what?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010