Widetracking a mk1 for BergCup

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by fthaimike, Jan 13, 2008.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

What's created non-OE bump steer?

2. prof Forum Addict

starting with a stock driveshaft would make everything easier, so VR I guess, mk4 are probably too long unless running porsche offset type wheels

3. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Bugger, didn't see that advertin the classifieds!

Roxylife's thread when it all got put together: Ball joint extenders (REVIEW) + Compbrake tie rod ends fitting

Sean, bottom of page 1 G mentions about machining down a standard inner CV to create a spacer. Sounds like a good idea to me, although they are quite heavy as standard?

[​IMG]

The Roma one looks as though it has the lip of a drive flange welded to the spacer to accept the inner CV from the driveshaft, to keep it in check perhaps.

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Driveshafts are something I will be looking at soon. I will probably use a method similar to the blue Roma tuning car or source longer shafts. Prof, I might take a look at your leads. Thanks.

Bumpsteer might only be a problem if I use the ball joint extenders otherwise the new tie rod ends will sit at the stock position.

Chris, I have some ball joint extenders that will probably mess up the OE bumpsteer.

Gurds

5. seanlazyass Forum Member

I think there is some confusion here.

The pics don't show it but Gurds said he was fitting ball joint extenders too which would change the arc the wishbone moves in with compression and droop. If this arc is different to the arc of the steering arm then you'll get bump steer.

Sorry if I've explained something you already know [:$]

EDIT: Just seen G's reply.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  6. seanlazyass Forum Member

Sorry I missed that. Good idea. Thanx for the pic.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sorry, missed that point - makes sense now.

8. mk1. Forum Junkie

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Gurds i hope you don't mind but i brightened up your pics (ignore this as my monitor was playing up):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am probably being dumb Gurd's but how do your drive shafts still reach at the moment?

seanlazyass that drive shaft extender was on the 1st page (GVK mentions it).

EDIT: noticed the link i had to the pic was removed at their end.....Oops

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

No problem Sean.

The driveshafts have not been offered up yet. I need to complete the headwork and get the engine and g'box back in the car before I start playing with driveshafts.

With normal track width and neg camber, I used to break lots of short side inner cv joints. I found that the joint centre was making contact with the diff cup seal thus implying the standard mk1 gti shaft is too long when the car is lowered and lots of neg' camber. So I want to see where the same shaft sits on the new setup then see how much spacing will be required. The long side drive shaft will need to be spaced.

Gurds

11. fthaimike Forum Addict

12. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I think Prof means X-KROM-X or something. Look for a thread called "ultimate driveline" in the tech/16v area and you will find his posts.

Gurds

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

Found it:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2681754

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

also came across this top mount (rabbit?):
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o314/Rabbit051977/RabittParts005.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2008
  14. fthaimike Forum Addict

Mr Hillclimber do you use any kind of ARB's on the front?

[​IMG]

The ends on my Eibach at the moment finish half way across the top of the wish bones.

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Rabbit/Mk1 towers with Shine/Eurosport camber plates.

No track width gain there - just spherical tops.

16. geezer Forum Member

^
    ^
    ^
    anti roll bar

Looks like there's a smallish anti roll bar fitted in this pic - the angled bar that runs between A arm and steering arm - mounts further along the front tube of the a arm - looks like an arb to me mike .

Been chatting with some road rally guys today (one runs a mk1 gti) he was going on about not having an uprated front arb (he runs standard front , large neuspeed rear) as the general feeling amongst his friends is that a smaller front arb gives better turn in , some even went as far as not running a front at all .
    They then confused me even more by saying that they then lower the spring poundage to compensate , i'd have though no antiroll bar would mean an increase in spring poundage ?
    , rear bar should be an uprated item though .

Dont mean to hijack your thread mike but can anyone confirm the above , sort of related anyway to track day cars --- ish .

Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  17. seanlazyass Forum Member

But could be used to help correct scrub radius change when used with wide track setup.

18. davecr32 Forum Member

For longer steering arms on my mk1 i used mk2 non power steering tie rods and ball joints.

This gave me around 30mm extra each side.
    they fit straight on to mk1 racks.

As far as drive shafts go. id look at getting some larger outer cv joints on there to make them stronger.

What about fitting a roll cage that gets welded up to the front turrets with plenty of cross braces. and get a auto cavan style lower front strut brace.

Definlty look at bracing up your steering rack mounts

Then stick on some wheel spacers and see how it goes

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  20. fthaimike Forum Addict

Would it be possible or more difficult if i extended mine a little bit more than usual to be able to use more standard type wheels? 7 x 15 ET30

& are the ball joint extenders? needed to compliment the rest, any specific type/size?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008