1988 Gti 16v Rough Running Issues - Found a couple of things - Need help!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Gazzmondo, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Gazzmondo

Gazzmondo Paid Member Paid Member

The car didn't cut out during braking or hunt during tick over before I replaced the injectors and blanked the breather off.

2. dogzila Forum Member

So air shroud is only for better fuel economy? Why did you bland off breather pipe?

3. Ben_s Forum Member

I'm not sure of the purpose of the air shroud, I was under the impression is affected the atomisation of the fuel? Not sure really.

I too blanked mine off after fitting the Mercedes injectors. With it connected, it wouldn't idle properly and low speed cruising (20-30 in 3rd or 4th) the engine struggled to run smoothly, the revs would wander up and down and the car felt like it was gently surging while it was driving along. As soon as I blanked off the breather to the manifold it drove better straight away but it would barely idle at all, it would hunt to the point of cutting out. Backing out the idle screw and leaning it out slightly on the metering head pretty much cured it. Before swapping the injectors, as you said is the case with yours, everything was fine. I swapped mine due to hot start issues rather than running issues.

I ended up capping off the breather port on the metering head and ran the breather hose into a catch tank. It needed another adjustment to the metering head and t/b screw after that but it ran 100 times better.

When you step on the brakes, the servo swallows a whole load of air from the manifold so that could cause problems if the mixture is already very rich (not enough air) especially as you say that there were no problems before. It's possible that the old injector seals would have been leaking air as well so swapping them for new would have sealed up a vac leak into the manifold reducing the afr even more.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Gazzmondo likes this.
  4. Gazzmondo

When the car starts hunting when idling, if I press the brake pedal it affects the idling. I'll adjust the co screw and see what happens. Think I'll pop in to the local garage and have them set it properly over the next few days.

5. Gazzmondo

Adjusted the CO with an Allen key on the metering head and it's not cutting out under braking, but think I'll take it to the local garage anyway to get it set correctly.
    It's still not perfect and hunting slightly but it's driveable at the minute.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yes the air shrouding supposedly helps fuel atomisation and improves economy, but I've tried both with and without the injectors on the same engien and it made no noticable difference. the problem is if you fit non-shrouded injectors they dont have the tophat on the end which seals the air shrouded part of the injector to the bottom of the insert, and without this you have an air leak across all 4 cylinders so you have to block off the hose that used to feed them.

since you have replaced the injectors and possibly cured a small air leak past old worn tophat seals and/or damaged inserts then you'll have to go back and reset both the base idle and co as they'll probably be way out now :)

edit: the pressure switch is there to add a spray of fuel if you boot it when cold, so its not the cause of your issue. Make sure the idle switch is working ok, that might not be helping:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?195423

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    Gazzmondo likes this.
  7. Gazzmondo

Idle switch is the small button on the throttle body that CLICKS when you come off the throttle? If so, then it's working.

8. Gazzmondo

Thanks for the link to the CO / Idle guide.

9. Gazzmondo

Tried to set the Idle / CO according to rubjonny guide. Disconnected the spade connector on the coil. Started the engine, ticked over fine but as the car got warmer the car ticked over worse and worse. Wound out the Idle screw on the throttle body but it didn't seems to make any difference, then the car cut out all together. Started the car again and it just kept dying, and I couldn't get the idle screw in time before it cut out again. So plugged the connector on the coil back together and the car was as it was before: rough idle and cuts out under braking. Even with the coil connected back up, when you adjust the idle screw, it made no difference to the idle speed rpm - is this normal?

10. Gazzmondo

As stated in one of my previous posts, I've got a hole in the inlet manifold but have covered it with self amalgamating tape as a temp fix, so I've put a WANTED ad on here.
    Just trying to cover any angle in trying to fix the problem.
    Losing the will to live...

11. rubjonny

does the isv still buzz, and is the idle switch clicking ok? check the wiring to the 3 pin plug, you should have ignition live on the black. if you loop the black to the yellow/black this will replicate the idle switch being pressed in case the switch itself has failed.

check over everything else in my guide top to bottom, might be some other issue that needs to be sorted. replace the o'ring on the idle screw as well, might be squashed or missing. I bought a big box of em and used the closest size when I did mine

12. Gazzmondo

Thought I'd check the Idle screw as recommended. It's VERY dirty and the O-Ring looks very worn, to the point of being flat!

[​IMG]

13. Gazzmondo

ISV is buzzing and vibrating. If I unplug the ISV, the car stalls. Idle switch clicks.

14. Ben_s Forum Member

With the spade terminal near the coil connected, the idle screw shouldn't make much difference as the ISV (if working properly) will compensate for a lack of airflow passed the throttle body. Winding that screw out just allows air to pass by the butterfly. Winding it out let's more air through, winding it in reduces the amount of air getting into the manifold.

If winding the screw out makes it stall then I'd say you need to wind it back in to where you started plus another half turn and see how it behaves. It's a bit if trial and error lol

When I was having issues after swapping injectors, I screwed it all the way in, then backed it out 5 full turns. This gave a good starting point that's easy to get back to.

Did you work through the whole guide? Including the ignition etc?

How hard does the ISV buzz? May sound like a daft question lol but mine was buzzing gently so I figured it was all ok, after a bit of tinkering, I found a poor connection at one of the temp sensors was affecting the ISV, a new spade terminal and cleaning the temp sensor made it buzz like an angry bee

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

15. rubjonny

other thing if the co is way out you'll struggle to get it to idle, with lots of things being broken before the idle and co have probably gone way out from what they should be which makes it tricky to dial back in once everything is tip top again. ignition timing can really affect the idle as well so need to make sure that is spot on then move onto the co and idle adjustments

16. Tom-uk Paid Member Paid Member

Just another quick thing gaz, give the ISV a decent clean with some petrol/carb cleaner/brake cleaner when you do the throttle body. it wont hurt it

17. Gazzmondo

Already done it!

18. Gazzmondo

Had the ignition timing checked by two different garages and they reckon it's spot on.

19. rubjonny

right its probably just the idle and co being too far out now you have fixed a ton of air leaks, if they are massively out its a case of trial and error till you can keep it running long enough to get a proper co meter on it :lol:

20. Gazzmondo

What about cleaning out the overrun cut off valve, next to the airbox? Would it make any difference?