1990 GTI MK2/ABF/5dr/Alpine White - Au - Mission Complete 1/7/2016

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by blis, Feb 29, 2012.

1. blis Forum Member

Mike I trust you took my comment with jest... sadly no VW on the rental car list, so Honda Accord it is!

Will seek out any mad dubs and snap them if I can while here... lots of toyotas so far! 20160731_145808.jpg

2. sports racer Forum Member

Is that sand on every flat surface?

Car looks and sounds great!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  3. blis Forum Member

Just like the red dirt in our own desert, yes that is sand... there are so many sand scratched cars here, some even seem to have clear coats blasted off too.

Lots of dodge chargers, i am yet to head into the city where the real cars will be... so stay tuned. Had an overwhelming experience last night lost in dubai.. two hours of circling to find the hotel...

And if you think we cant drive back home, you should try here. Driving 60kph in a brand new honda accord feels like 160kph anywhere else and there are tyres screaching hitting brakes everywhere, not to mention horns that should be banned... they all need to drive in sydney traffic to get a taste of what it can be like to go no where fast.

Add to that the FM radio, imagine two wogs like me having a full noise debate over something while a double length bus is trying to squeeze in a gap the size of a mini. Cars double parked everywhere with oncoming traffic and Im driving on the right side... 2 hours of lost driving has taken me all night and half the day to calm down...

Nothing short of a wild adventure, thats for sure!

Cigarettes are cheap ;)
    Hotel is beautiful, food delicious too!
    20160802_113049.jpg

Working up enough courage to go for another drive...

4. blis Forum Member

Luke took some pics

download_20160822_150447.jpg

download_20160822_150619.jpg

Nige and Sirguydo like this.
  5. blis Forum Member

Stupid door locking system on the driver side.

Item number9 seems to have a tab broken, it central locking and someone's done a bodgy on the actuators before me. Now the linkages are fallingoff and cant lock door.

Advice appreciated... Do I get a coat hanger and try and bend something if my own, or is there method to this...

doorhandle.jpg

Will grab pics.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for item 9 you need to remove the lock block from the door then slip it thru the hole and refit so its sandwiched between the lock block and the door skin. it has a flange round the base which stops it falling off if you get me

blis likes this.
  7. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Straight back at it Harry [:s]

What's your plan now ? If there is one ?

Regards Mike :thumbup:

8. blis Forum Member

Mate, need to get a job and get back into a normal groove, otherwise all good. Dubai was not what Google said it was.

Sirguydo likes this.
  9. blis Forum Member

Thanks John, will go check now!

But one of the ears on the plastic is broken and the rod will slip out too... but thanks for the tip on mounting it on the block, I was looking at it wondering, will look closer now!

10. rubjonny

ah, nothing a bit of offcut plastic/metal cut from something and some decent glue cant fix I recon :)

11. blis Forum Member

Thanks john, got the lock working again, now onto the mirrors.. for some reason no power to the switch...

I looked up faq, and fuse 14 is ok, perhaps a loose connect on the back of fusebox you think?
    20160907_220503.jpg
    20160907_214645.jpg

Bodgy on actuator?
    1473250348375-860756916.jpg 1

12. rubjonny

check fuse #4 too, just in case its been retrofitted using a different pin. plus check plug D, and as you say wiggle the fuse and try another in case the fuse socket is dirty/loose or fuse has a hairline crack :)

blis likes this.
  13. sports racer Forum Member

Welcome back Harry. Are you back in Brissy or on the central coast?

Cheers

Paul

14. blis Forum Member

Paul, Brissy...

Sorted the mirrors out, dropped fusebox and saw i had forgotten to reconnect red multi pin plug under dash... now to look into bleeding brakes properly...

Sirguydo and Nige like this.
  15. blis Forum Member

Mt Nebo Shoot October 2016

Back to real life and hunting work, the good news is the MK2 has been so well behaved there's a sense of truth that if you care for an ABF and cross your T's dot your I's you'll be fine.

There's only a few things to do:

1) Find a way to stick the brake light to the rear windscreen permanently. Luke and I have tried nearly every double sided tape we can get our hands on and it keeps falling off. Mainly off the light pad, but two nights ago I cleaned it all down with Acetone, added a small strip of double sided and used black silicon. So lets hope!

2) The glove box, thanks to Mike for sending me a nice one, but it's for a NON AC car and it's way too deep. Also, I've lost the latch fitting that goes under the dash and have to hunt it down, if anyone knows of where to find one, would appreciate it, but I have a bentley and hope I can get a part num for it. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

3) The guard still protrudes, I've been busy with lots of other things to deal with and I will get onto it with a dremel and widen to holes to get it to mount flush. But seems some idget thought they'd fix it for me and thwapped it with their hand and dented the guard. No big deal, but working on it.

4) Lastly when I get a chance, I'll paint the door inners as we never painted them in the shop. I regret it but also understand how that makes for a larger scope and budget, Im happy with it.

5) Brakes are still spongy and never knew of clamping the bias valve, will try that. The brakes are much better and bite better, the rear caliper doesnt leak so all good there. However, Luke did say the car let the tail out when he stomped the brakes and I suspect there's an air bubble trapped there.

Life's good and she gets LOTS OF LOOKS!

IMG_2416 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2421 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2426 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2430 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2395 (Large).jpg
    IMG_2389 (Large).jpg

Tks to all for the support.

h

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
    Sirguydo and Savagesam like this.
  16. rubjonny

Nice update, glad the abf is treating you well :thumbup:

blis likes this.
  17. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Nice one H , the cars looking great ( none of that faded pink paint ;))
    Hope you get sorted with some stimulating work that pays ok :thumbup:
    Regards S

blis likes this.
  18. blis Forum Member

Im going to have a look at this shortly.. thanks Nige.

19. blis Forum Member

I did the above adjustment and my brake pedal is much nicer now with the free-play removed.
    Loosened lock nut, adjusted barrel until it just touched the brake light switch and now the pedal has no slop.
    Brake feel is now more responsive.

Thanks Nige!

20. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent !!

Make sure you don`t go too far, otherwise the pads will drag on the discs. You need a tiny amount of slack to be safe :thumbup:

blis likes this.