89 16v RE 2000 gti engineering

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Sirguydo, Aug 13, 2014.

1. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

There is a blue one over here for sale [:-B]

2. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

so this arrived today NOS 30 off eBay should have bought more than one but skint ATM as paying for holidays [:s]

IMG_3305.jpg

Must add 500 to finished car until some scumbag nicks it [:x]

blis likes this.
  3. blis Forum Member

Ive got a hall sensor new in box if you get desperate... I think my dizzy seal is leaking a little too.

4. Sirguydo

Thanks but I think I've got 1,2,3,4 or more dizzys kicking about . lol

Thanks anyway possum :thumbup:

5. Sirguydo

:thumbup:So I’ve purchase a set of original GTiEngineering Aerotech 15” wheels for my car :thumbup:
    Not arrived yet but hopefully soon , they cost me almost as much as the car did :o
    5CF37CDA-81E0-44BD-B298-5E4EA7F99D87.png 1D52AF8B-BC53-47BB-92EA-7C920609F684.png

6. Martin 16v Forum Member

Bit

Did anyone manage to find anymore out ref the 'modified distributor'

Was it actually the ignition distributor or fuel distributor?

Still digging

7. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Been getting an interest in dizzies recently and turned up this old post while looking into them...

Go back to @Sirguydo and their post on page 7 (#133)

Think @rubjonny was right when he homed in on the trigger wheel as being the source of the modification.

If you look at the image of the RE2000 dizzie wheel it's got 069 stamped on it.

Was being discussed elsewhere and it's possible (subject to confirmation) the plastic / electronic part of the Hall sender set up is more or less the same universal part on all similar dizzies, it's the trigger wheels spec. that in combination with it that adapts it to a given application.

Found another image of 051 905 205 C on the inter-web... that's the standard dizzie Sirguydo has pictured and while you can't see it on his image this other has 145 stamped on it's wheel.

The RE2000 dizzie 027 905 205 R is listed as suitable for Corrado and Scirocco 1.8 16v's, the standard dizzie for Cordoba / Ibiza, Toledo, Corrado and Passat 1.8 and 2.0 16v's

I'm thinking GTi Engineerings 'modified' dizzie was just them substituting one complete unit for another that had the characteristics they were after for the conversion.

You could change out the trigger wheel on it's own I suppose but the dizzie number itself wouldn't differ as it does here.

Why bother too, maybe today when they're not easy to come by it'd be an option but back then they were readily available items.

To do it you'd need to know the specs. for the various dizzies involved, but I'd imagine that'd be info. they could easily access via VW or Bosch.

RJ was able to post the specs for some other unrelated dizzies, be interesting to see those of the two mentioned above here to compare?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
    Martin 16v likes this.
  8. Zender Z20

Martin 16v likes this.
  9. Martin 16v Forum Member

Very interesting

10. Zender Z20

Maybe when Sirguydo signs in again we might be able to thrash things about a bit more.

11. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Normal to get the advance cure modified on a tuned engine with clockwork ignition, you modify the bob weights and springs to get the advance curve you want. I've used Aldon Automotive in the past when going over to webers, just for info you don't run vacuum advance with webers either, another mod Aldon carry out. just give them the specs etc. and they will modify to suit.

Zender Z20 likes this.
  12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

051905205C is also the correct dizzy for later kr/9a so if the trigger wheel is different it must have been swapped in from something else, remains to be seen if the trigger windows are actually different. sirguydo did remark the windows were the same width as a normal one so unless the windows are moved slightly seems the RE2000 ones are the same as std

ofc the 8v kjet ones can be tweaked inside, as I said in your other thread there are men with big beards who can do this kind of thing but they're getting thin on the ground now :lol:

Zender Z20 likes this.
  13. Zender Z20

Yup, with the centrifugal / vac. advance dizzies I can understand the scope for modification, the later ones without weights / canister, like RJ says, seem to only have the option to make physical changes to the trigger wheel.

When I was looking at my own dizzy to see how the Hall sender / trigger wheel could be changed out, they sit in a very specific spot. There's the little pin that holds it in place against a slot in the shaft and notch in the wheel. I think it's main purpose is to stop rotation while in use, but equally it also means the wheel and slot positions are fixed.

Anything's doable and I'm sure an engineering outfit could re-machine things to change the wheel / slot postion on the shaft if that's what it took but perhaps just changing the entire dizzy to another with the desired curve would be simpler / more cost effective, just guessing?

It's the lack of access to firm info. that's tripping me up.. If I'd a box of GTiE dizzies in front of me it would probably go a long way to help checking and answering some of the questions, but never going to happen.

I'm relying on eCatalogues and such (and that they're complete / accurate).

I know I said the Hall sender and trigger wheel seem to function as two separate components that can be mixed and matched, but Bosch also seem to have simplified things by cataloguing them together as one whole unit.

So if you know your vehicles catalogued Hall sender number and order a repair kit, it'll come with the correct trigger wheel.

I can't find trigger wheel numbers listed anywhere, just picking them up from seeing actual wheels / photos.

14. Martin 16v Forum Member

Having a look through part numbers there looks to be a large number of distributors but there only seems to be one part number for the trigger wheel

Impulse rotor 049 905 309 A

This comes up for most vw mk1/ mk2 inc country and rallye etc and passat but not the corrado item 20B is listed for the 9a dizzy but its not listed in the parts.

If the rotor is not different across the platforms then could it be the impulse sensor it's situated differently

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  15. Zender Z20

Yes, it's a nightmare to fathom out without a definitive list of what suits what.

That's a good example you use of 049 905 309 A... I see VW Classic Parts are advertising it as soley the trigger wheel whereas references elsewhere show that number as covering the Hall sender / trigger wheel and associated bits'n'pieces which all together make up a repair kit.

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.com/catalog/en_de/part/049905309A

It's interesting that the image they use has 063 stamped on it, (if it's the actual item of course) which tallys with my MK1's and correctly lists it as a suitable dizzy (026 905 205 H).

The others on that list are quite specific, down to certain chassis number ranges in some cases.

I think they call it an 'impulse rotor' as that's a literal translation of 'Zündimpuls', I've also seen them described as 'reluctor wheels', but I think those are technically a different way of doing the same thing... upshot is it all adds to the confusion.

Might have misunderstood something I read about trigger wheels... if I haven't it's possible that not only is the size of the gap important, but also its height and the distance between gaps - for example the gaps may be the same size on one wheel as another but if the first wheel has a different circumference the area between the will be greater.

Have the Haynes / Tim Stiles 'Golf GTI performance manual' and he talks about fitting the Seat Ibiza (pre-83) dizzies to 16v conversions as the advance curve suited them well... shows I think that TSR and others were thinking that way.

16. rubjonny

049905309A as far as VW is concerned is just for the wheel, the hall sensor is separate

the important thing about the wheels is the number of degrees of the gaps in the windows, see here Polo SPI trigger wheel on the left, vs GT/G40 on the right:
    SPiTriggerWheel.jpg GTTriggerWheel.jpg

Martin 16v likes this.
  17. Martin 16v Forum Member

What would be the difference gained or lost with regards to window gaps?

If we look at if from a different point of view instead of trying to fathom what GTIE did, what would need to be done to improve the spark with altering the windows

18. Zender Z20

I'm discovering there's quite a few gaps in the Bosch dizzy cataloging, but those that I am finding are pretty detailed, giving (their own) part numbers for all the main components.

The one exception is the trigger wheel, it's unfortunate that they seem to get lumped in with the Hall sender and given an umberella part number that covers the whole repair kit.

Definitely having more success using the Bosch numbers, but it's not always possible to cross reference them to VW's.

19. rubjonny

its unlikely GTIE messed with the hall sensor or trigger window, just fiddled with the weights/vac advance modules

with the trigger windows on the Polo thats down to the ECU map, I'm not clued up enough to say why they would need a different trigger window rather than just adjusting the map around the same one tbh :lol:

20. Zender Z20

You've likely seen me posting on another dizzy related thread... thing's are starting to converge and some of what's relevant there now appears applicible here too.

I'm concentrating on the dizzies with mechanical and vacuum adjustable advance, the later dizzies with out those that work in conjunction with ECU's I haven't begun to try and understand.

Found a seller doing centrifugal springs for Lucas dizzies and their properties seem to be differentiated by size alone, ie. length and width.

If that's the case and it rules out spring strength or similar as being a factor, it's maybe possible to simply identify Bosch springs in the same way through their dimensions?

Have also read of people adjusting the centrifugal arms by adding to or taking away from the range of travel.

If you look at the Bosch arms below, remember when back together they're colour coded red and white at their ends, (and I was wondering before was that for a reason?) the plastic bump stops vary in thickness and could be changed out to vary dimensions and therefore travel.

Maybe Bosch used different thickness of plastic ends to vary advance properties?

Could speculate all day, but even we worked out what they did to modify a particular dizzy it still leaves the problem of repeating it to the exact same specs. which are unknown.

In an ideal world would love someone with a confirmed GTiE dizzie on it's original conversion to check for numbers, both for the entire unit's VW / Bosch ones plus the trigger wheel's to see what does or doesn't match up.

This is a dizzy taken down even further to almost all of it's component parts, it's not all that difficult to do and I could see someone like GTiE easily doing any combination of the potential changes talked about.

bits.jpg