ABF swap into a 1990 Jetta TX

Discussion in '16-valve' started by juli0s, Jul 30, 2009.

1. juli0s Forum Member

Hi all,

Did a bit more work at the weekend - I have a few more questions if anyone fancies a punt;

1) I tried to reconnect the old mk2 driveshafts to the 02a box temporarily (i've got some TDI driveshafts and 16v hubs but these need work before fitting) - It was really difficult getting the offside driveshaft to offer up against the gearbox output flange - I didn't want to strip threads so I gave up. So the question is, are the old mk2 driveshafts too short now i've got an o2a 'box?

2) Is this the ISV?

[​IMG]

3) where do the knock sensors actually plug in?

4) Does the speed sensor plug into the gearbox, ie here?

[​IMG]

......cheers all !

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Thats is the isv that isn't the speddo sensor. its at the bac of the gearbox. Knock sensors are on the front of the engine a fix to the bracket with the 28 pin plug.

3. juli0s Forum Member

...i think my engine might be missing the knock sensor ?

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. yes the long shaft is a different length on the 02a box, you need a corrado 4 stud one. the TDI one will only work if is didn't come from a widetrack car. I cant think of any TDI cars that were narrow track, maybe SEAT?

2. yes thats the isv

3. there should be 2 knock sensors and a crank sensor. if you look at the front of the block there is a metal bracket bolted to the passenger side where the main loom is clipped in, there are 3 slots in the front of this bracket that hold these three plugs. looking at your 1st pic I can see striaght away one of your knock sensors is missing, i can see a bolt sticking out of a machined area on the block just above the oil filter housing. thats where one of the knock sensors go. the other onme is further to the driver side.

4. thats the reverse switch, speedo sensor is further back

5. juli0s Forum Member

...ok I can see 2 areas on the block where it looks like the knock sensors attach. looks like i'll need a pair of sensors then.

Are these sensors common to any other VAG cars? does anyone have the part numbers?

cheers

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  6. rubjonny

I'll have a look, its possible i have spares

7. garnetteyes Forum Member

These are the same as the knock sensor fitted to the MK2 digi's IIRC

8. juli0s Forum Member

hi all,

just got hold of some SEAT cable clutch parts,

Is this all i need to convert my o2a to cable? i wasn't sure if the little rod should also be included? (ie the rod that pokes through the bell housing and gets pushed back and forth...)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. altern8 Forum Junkie

how are you getting on

10. juli0s Forum Member

hi all,

the project has taken a bit of a back seat for a bit due to the arrival of a baby daughter!

I will be picking it up again soon...

about the clutch mechanism - i ordered the missing pushrod and washer from SEAT - about 10 all in so not bad... now i'm just missing the bracket which holds the clutch cable on the gearbox - if anyone can help?

cheers

11. juli0s Forum Member

ok all, got hold of the gearbox bracket - had it get it from a dealership in the end - 36...

Now i'm looking to sort out the coolant hoses - question;

Should i use MK2 KR hoses, or MK3 ABF?

cheers

12. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I would say Mk3 hoses.

13. rubjonny

mostly use abf hoses, just the rad hoses you need to use kr if using kr rad, or abf if using a rad with the outlets on the opposite side to mk2. if using a mk2 8v rad, need mk2 8v hoses, if diesel, diesel hoses etc :lol:

14. juli0s Forum Member

Hi all,

Quick question re the fuel tank - would a 8v GTi (MK3) or VR6 tank & pump do?

or does it have to be an ABF unit?

many thanks

15. rubjonny

yes a GTI 8v or VR tank+pump will work fine. tank is the same on all MK3 models, fuel pump is same on 8v and 16v, vr6 is a bit beefier but will still work as fpr on abf will just dump the excess back to the tank. also any MK2 GTI 8v or 16v main & lift pump will work. if k-jet you just need to do a bit of modification to convert banjo to push fitting, no big deal.

16. juli0s Forum Member

hi all,

I've just pulled the loom back out of the car. I wasn;t happy with how it was routed, plus having re-read alot of info I think I can strip it down further.

Question re the immobiliser box - i've located the wire from pin 43 of the ECU. It comes out by the fusebox connectors with a sinlgle brown plug. My research tells me this should go to the immob box.

The plug does not fit the immob box - the immob box has a 5 pin connector. (i picked up a bit of loom from a MK3 Polo which inclues the 5 pin plug)
    [​IMG]

How am i supposed to connect the wire from pin 43 to the box?

cheers

17. rubjonny

18. richard s Forum Member

whats the clutch cable from that your using

19. juli0s Forum Member

thanks rubjonny. I may just solder them together in that case. I also cut the diagnostic port with a section of loom from the polo - hopefully will be able to use this. I would like to get the OBD port working as I have VAGCOM on the laptop....

about the clutch cable - it is from a Seat ibiza cupra 16v, as is the push rod and support bracket...

20. richard s Forum Member

thats what ive got on mine is yours manually adjustable as it looks different to mine as mine doesnt have the metal/plastic tube bit on mine
    also while its off would you measure it and put the length up
    cheers