About time too - GVK head + cams job!

Discussion in '16-valve' started by GVK, Jun 18, 2004.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Yep,the fact that you couldn't drive slowly ( in traffic) the terrible idle <shakes> and the useless torque outweighed the fact that 'when' you could get to 5000rpm the engine came to life :lol:

As you say Luke if it wasn't a daily driver I could've probably lived with it. maybe [:$]

It could've been sorted as shown by Ians car but I bet it wouldn't be cheap [xx(]

I lost 50 on the cams not counting the running around fetching them,the Stealth RR time, loss of ovetime @ work, fuel... lol!

Never mind. [:D]
    Edited by: G_V_K

2. GVK

It was fitted to the car when I bought it (2 years ago), had been on a year beforehand.

It's vibrated most of the time I've owned the car at about 2500 rpm, but it's slowly got worse and worse [:x]

Various people I've spoken too have had the same problem, Vince said he doesn't sell Scorpion anymore as they're so sh1te.

3. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Paul's fell bits
    Rob Heaths fell bits
    GVK's fell bits
    and i've lost count of the rest!

BTW Gary, i checked my JEtex and it is a 2.5" system.
    I feel a warm glow of satisfaction now...... :lol:

4. DarrenH Forum Member

you should know its not size that matters ;)

5. matt d Forum Member

Someone told me on monday that Jetex silencers are a bit restrictive. I cant remember wheather it was Bill or Vince [:s].

6. GVK

I only bought a Jetex as Claire's mk3 16v gained mid-range torque and + 5bhp with a stainless Jetex 2.5" system, they look a well made thing as well. :)

I'm leaving the car as it is now, ready for the 'ring trip.

7. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

But these valvers love a 2.5" apparently [:D] :lol: ;)

Matt, i have no idea if they are restrictive or not, but dex gained torque and power all over the revs using my old 2" 8v GTI Jetex system.

And they sound great - nice and quiet and are brilliantly made.

8. ianb Forum Member

My old Jetex was good but it did get boomy after a while

Had two Jetex systems on my old valver........good delivery though power/torque

Gary....my car's taken a few years to get where it is...like you I had to do bit at a time what with mortgage and 3 kids two of which are teenagers with appetites the size of a horse

Ian

9. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Can't say mines got boomy yet Ian, and this one was fitted in 2002.

Did you notice any difference between the 2 exhausts or did other things change at the time?

10. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Jetex exhausts are pretty much the only ones Blydenstein recommends for any car

11. flusted Forum Member

GVK,does this mean you are now a strong believer in the 2 zorst cam mod now?? Go get yours dynod with the mod and lets see what a difference it makes to the torque compared to kr cams ;)

12. GVK

I'll get over to Stealth sometime soon, the car 'feels' better than it used to, but I don't think it'll have 'that' much more peak power than with the standard head [:s]

Got my Jetex system today, fecking huge pipework (2.5") [:D] - Hopefully the torque gains from the Jetex and twin exhaust cams will go some way to make up for the dissapointing experience with the Schricks.
    Edited by: G_V_K

13. alexc Forum Member

I'm up at Stealth on Thurs getting the 9a setup by Vince.

Been out driving it every night to put the miles on, changed the oil & filter every 200 and considering it's not been tuned yet it's pulling really well, been keeping it under 4k but it's got plenty of torque.

Should be interesting to see what it's like once the fueling & timing are sorted all the way accross the rev range! ;)

14. altern8 Forum Junkie

let us know how you get on :)

15. GVK

Hope it all goes ok Alex :)

16. prof Forum Addict

alex send me the file, or get vince to mail it to me and we can do a pukka graph for posting

17. alexc Forum Member

Cheers guys, will do, fingers crossed all the work will have been worth it. :)

18. alexc Forum Member

quick update, spent a good few hours @ Stealth yesterday mainly troubleshooting. The engine was slightly mis-firing during the running in period so we decided to test the entire fueling system before going ahead with the set up.

Fuel pressure was right down and in some cases the pump didn't seem to run at full power. After taking pressure reading at various points throughout the fuel system we narrowed it down to a faulty fuel accumulator. Unfortunately G&S couldn't deliver one till the next day and VAG couldn't get the two pipes that attach to it (cos the others were rusted to f**k) until today.

So I'm going back again today in about an hour so we can make a start on the tuning.

19. matt d Forum Member

So how did it go?

20. alexc Forum Member

Don't ask!! [xx(]

Did a couple of power runs, managed approx 172bhp with about 150lb/ft torque. Problem was that the system still fealt pressurised which isn't normal as the top hose was rock hard.

After the second run we couldn't get it started again, after doing a few checks we found it was blowing a fine spray of water through no.2 plug hole in the head. Either the gasket is knackered or there's a problem with the head. Vince is gonna remove the head either today/tomorrow and find out. The gasket is a steel one so it's more than likely a problem with the head.

Things are getting tight though as we're taking the car to Belgium on Friday for Mania.