Another minority issue ...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by superden, Dec 20, 2004.

1. N1CK Forum Junkie

:lol: The tooth fairy's a c**t! I got 1 for my last
    tooth 1 f**kING QUID [:x] [:x]

2. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

[xx(] Desperation has really set in now [:D] :lol: ;)

Alan

3. Grayham8v Forum Member

Sorry I got it wrong about the Tooth Fairy. She does infact exist. My mum just told me.

4. b'locks Forum Addict

Not sure that's anatomically possible but I'll give it a go anyway. [:s]:lol:

5. Imteyaz Forum Member

What do you mean Santa's not real AND cats can't really sing?

That's pi$$ed me of now...... [:^(]

6. greel Forum Member

Is there no shame [:s]

7. b'locks Forum Addict

Any port in a storm matey. [:D]

8. greel Forum Member

:lol: Fair enough...Needs must...I suppose

9. R4W_VW New Member

Guys - I know its been a while since I posted, but this is one thread I have to take part in (as long as people are decent about it).

I havent got the time at the moment to go into detail (Im at work), so I'll post when I get home tonight.. but.. at a high level.

I completely condem the violence and rioting that erupted... It is not a Sikh thing to do. Sikhism teaches that the pen is more powerful than any weapon. And in this case, the artists pen has proved to kick up a stir, but as a community we are not supposed to resort to violence to 'resolve' issues.... its just ended up creating a really bad impression of Sikh in the public eye... and hasnt done anybody any favours.

Fair enough as an artist she has the right to air/show her work etc... but artists (like the media) should be careful how they portray people.

e.g. a media article/incident (or a string of them) is enough topaint a picture for some people to develop an opinion.. then it is also possible for an artists workto do the same.

We all know the media usually only gives a certain side to the story, or sometimes the representatives interviewed may not be eloquent enough to get the point they really want to make across to people (in this case, the Sikh community'representative isnt exactly ideal (in some respects)... with all due respect to Mohan Singh, as his statement sounded like he made it up on the spot).

Hence -although they have freedom to speech, they should be considerate enough to research the full story and express it in the best way possible. I know you may argue that "how can you call it freedom of speech if you have to be considerate" - but what I mean is just do it in a tasteful manner and gather as many facts as possible before you do so.

Personally - I havent seen the play, so I cant comment on how/to what extent it is disrespectful. But again, its a play aboutreallife.

We would prefer if stuff like r@pe and abuse does not happen in any religious institution... but unfortunatly the real life truth is... it is probably happening ina number ofreligious institutions as we speak.

A Sikh temple probably has similar functions when compared to places of worship for other faiths... Obviously acts of the criminal nature are not allowed in Sikhism (and prob 99.9% of other religions)at all, let alone in the Temple... but there will always be someone who has lack of self control and commits sin. And this is prob what the play is trying to show - but as I say, I havent seen it, so I cant really comment. But at the same time, you can understand why it would upset people right?

These upset people were originally holding a "peaceful protest" against the play when it first openned! Anybody remember that in the news??? Thats how it should be.

Im upset that the author has had to go into hiding - she shouldnt have to feel threatened, but I dont blame here... there is a minority of the community that will be vexed at her and want blood etc... but me personally (u may not believe this) I want to see theplay and want to understand where she is coming from.

With respect to us Sikhs being a minority group raisinga fuss over everything that happens to us. Ok - put it this way.

For us minoritys - when someone says something about us, it paints a picture in your (the general british public - I dont know if thats the PC way of saying it, but I dont mean any offence) minds, and if we dont try and straighten it out, there is a possibility it will stick. We are bound to raise a fuss (e.g. after 9/11 when sikhs wearing turbans were liberally being branded as taliban by those who didnt know what we are and represent)....

In this case, we were hurt by the play because it shows the temple being dis-respected... However - it does not warrent rioting.

Me posting, is raising a fuss - to point out as a Sikh, I (and 98% of us) do not support the rioting as a way of airing our opinion on the play.

IF - Sikhs were the majority, and this riot happened... the majority would know "oh, its just 1 or 2 fools who started it, us Sikhs arent always like this"..... and the minorities would think "hmm.. thats dodgy, but I know enough Sikhs to know that they are not all like that"

e.g. Football hooligans. As a Sikh, I know that not everyone from here (UK) is a hooigan, its just a few people... and you guys know that too.

But when it comes down to people who dont have much exposure to the people in question, e.g. Sikhs... then its a different story... most people dont know enough Sikhs or about the religion/community (i dont expect anyone to either)to be able to say "oh, they arent all like that"...

Sikhism doesnt support violence/rioting. It promotes equality, freedom of speech, respect for all...... It also teaches to contol our Ego, Anger, Lust, Greed and Attachment... in this case... I think a minority of people lost control of their ego and anger, which lead to rioting etc.

As said in the newspaper article - there were 3 people arrested.. and hopefully the law will deal with them.

So thats my quick (supposedly) comment on whats been happening.

I know this post is bound to raise more questions etc... and I honestly encourage them, because I dont want you to think of us guys as "nob-ends"... and its only through discussion that we will get each others points.

10. Waqas New Member

f it......

Edited by: Waqas

11. Grayham8v Forum Member

I dont think that the writer was trying to cause any anguish or humiliate anyone, and I would imagin that she wasnt trying to insult the people with which she shares her religion. Sikh people wouldnt give a sh1t if it was set in a church or a mosque. I think it was just an excuse to have a moan and cause some trouble.

IT'S ONLY A PLAY FFS
    Edited by: Grayham8v

12. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Right, i've only read the first 2 pages of this thread - and i'm not going to refer to any comments anyone has made in those pages. I just want to make my own point.

Since this happened the other night and made news i have taken the time out to read the script for this play. Has anyone else actually done this before commenting upon it's content?

My point:

1) It has some very graphic content that will promote strong reaction.

2) It IS a comedy... yes it has some quite graphic plots in it - but the most part of the play is humurous and comedic. Sometimes it does have quite a shock value... but it also often raises a laugh.

3) In one of the most graphic scenes they beat a Sikh woman (Min) for bringing 'a cursed girl into God's house.' Referring to a bloodstain (period blood) on her dress. This bloodstain was actually a result of the rape that had taken place.

My opinion is that many people that have formed opinions on this play have not read the script or watched the play.

Yes - it is set in the Sikh Gurdwara, but i feel it is only set here as the writer can accuratley describe the social make-up through her experience. I don't think a Sikh woman could create a beleivable backdrop of a Christian church as this is not where her personal experince is.

I think the setting is irrelevent... the story is about the abuse of power, by respected and powerful people, for their own gains. The story would be almost* identical if it was set in any other environment.

My final point... after reading less than 2 lines of text you honestly forget that this is set in a Sikh temple as you are concentrating on the plot.

*small changes would have to be made - but nothing that would not de-value the point of the story.

13. Grayham8v Forum Member

14. Waqas New Member

f it

15. Waqas New Member

16. Grayham8v Forum Member

OOOO

No I wouldn't be offended. I don't get offended if someone has an opinion of me thats up to them, if they have somethin to say about ne thats up to them also, so long as they have the balls yo say it to my face.

The ethnic minorities realy get me wound up, they moan and complain about every fuking thing complaining that it offends their culture or religion or whatever. Well the culture in this country is different to the one that you/your ancesters come from. so if you don't like it fuk off to some country that lives by your cultural rules.

There isn't mutch chance of that happening is there. becausue lifes not so easy in those countries, Thats why you live here.

17. RSSGOLF Forum Junkie

My view on all of this....

The play is a freedom to speech etc, so technically should be allowed...but the fact that it showed rape etc in a gurdwara (sikh temple) is a bit of an issue...I know many say that you see it in churches etc, but the sikh community imo have different view towards the temple. I've read a few reports on the violence, and from what i've read it looks to have been a few prob your sikh lads who caused the violence. The majorty were argueing that maybe they should show the rape scences in a community centre, rather than a gurdwara.

I think the play would be interesting, and being a sikh it doesn;t bother me that the play has these scenes in a sikh temple, as long as people realise its a place of worship, and should still be respected.

The sikh religion has been described by dalg, and vw_singh, and thats my view on it too. I think overall its a simple case of, sikhs believe it may make them look bad, and thus make it harder on them.

Rup Singh

18. whitehot8v Forum Member

here here :clap:
    and like someone else said its just a play ffs

19. Hairylee Slice Forum Member

Just a thought [:-B] . There are comments made that the uproar was specific to the scenes of rape/violence taking place in a sikh temple-well is this PLAY not taking place in a THEATRE and not an actual temple? I could understand a reaction in an actual place of worship but FFS a budget made wooden set does not constitute as an authentic place of worship!

The thing that urinees me off about human nature is that it seems some PEOPLE will look for the smallest of excuses to try and enforce their errored judgement. Which is why i belive the storming of a theatre, the destruction that ensued, the threats made to a woman and the injury of police men trying to uphold some peace and order is completely unjustified and the people with the huge chips on their shoulders need to sit down and evaluate their own existence and contribution to humanity-w**kers.

Yes agreed-its a play FFS [:x] :lol:

I happen to find the nativity offensive to anyone with an once of intelligence, a virgin giving birth, wise men following stars-gimmie a break! :lol: Why dont i gather an angry mob and storm the local school play? Probably because im a rational HUMAN BEING.

20. Grayham8v Forum Member

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: