Building the ultimate 8v engine

Discussion in '8-valve' started by kiwgti, Oct 27, 2005.

1. kiwgti Forum Member

thanks for all that lad, this is what i was looking for some very good advice and reading all that, dont think it could be any better,
    so what the crack with these 2l 16v,
    out of a mk3 golf is it then whats the best gains

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If you change it to a 16v, you'll have to run a different engine management, probably best off fitting complete ABF out of mk3 GTI 16v/Seat Ibiza GTI 16v- I seem to remember something about clearance issues with the ABF inlet manifold when fitting into a mk2 tho? Anyone remember?

3. NormanCoal Forum Member

you need either a late VW MK3 golf 16v manifold or the equivalent from a SEAT 16v as they changed the angle of the throttle body and the early VW one wont fit in a MK2 golf with this engine

4. GVK

Thanks Chris, remember you saying about it before :thumbup:

5. Carl loader Forum Member

Id also like to double check these clearance issues with a 2l 16v goin in a mk2, as i m doin this very soon (pickin engine up on sunday) [:D]

6. kiwgti Forum Member

whats tb's go like in these 2.0l 16v with a DTA ecu,

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

Rubbish ;)

:lol: :lol:

Well 198BHP/158lbs/ft from mine..... [:D]

Would be up nicely over the 200BHP barrier with a higher spec motor though. Steel internals, hotter cams, solid lifters & raised C.R etc etc......

TBs only really realise their whole potential on a balls out motor IMO. Another 15-20BHP easily available on mine with the right bits. Goes nicely for the output as it stands though... [:D]
    Edited by: chrismc

8. GVK

Sound nice!

Value for money though? [:s]

You just know I'm going to mention Brun...:lol:
    Edited by: GVK

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

[:s] :lol: I certainly do my bit keeping BP & Shells profits up there eh??? :clap:

10. chrismc Forum Junkie

If you mention Brun.... [:x]

PMSL... :lol:

We need to see if Golf+ or PVW will do another!! [:D]

11. GVK

Hold up, let me save up for a gearbox first :lol:

12. chrismc Forum Junkie

I need to hire a petrol tanker to make the trek with me too :lol: ......

Sorry, going off topic here gents! I would honestly not recommend the bodies, unless its a fully worked motor..

K-Jet 2L 16v motors have seen outputs pushing up to 200BHP, (though they need careful fettling on the rollers to keep them sweet) so sticking with K-Jet & spending money on other "bolt-on" bits would be my reccomendation...go very well too as the Bruntingthorpe group thrash proved!!

EDIT: I see our 16v Group thrash times also compared quite favourably to the VR6 group times in this months Golf+ ;) Not bad going for the humble old 16v!! [:D]

Sadly, im now addicted to the howl of 45mm ITBs so a remap & a few other little tweaks in the pipeline may be the only way for me to stop burning a personal hole in the ozone layer!!! [:$] For all that, my car drives beautifully & power is consistent, plus it scares people with the noise & flames too!! [:D]
    Edited by: chrismc

13. VR6Will Forum Member

Hi...

Well i did build what i would think to be a fairly impressive 8v, it did only make 170bhp @ Stealth but with a lot more mapping and more development i reckon it should have seen 200bhp (apparently the guy that lives in a shed who built my head said it should have seen well over 200bhp with the spec that it was)

To be fair on the road it was an animal, and i do miss it [8D] , the sound of it was immense, but as an everyday driver not really practical. [:^(]

The cost to build it was quite high too...hence why i sold it and fitted a more powerful standard engine for a lot less money. I wish i did have more money to throw at it but unfortunately i didnt. :(

With my sort of spec engine you also need to think about the gearbox, i would suggest a 3.9FD as a must as the car rev'd to 7-8k no probs and to keep it on cam the FD was a great help, a diff also helped put the traction down!

As for acf90millions comment about being outdragged by mildly modded 16v's and vr6's - thats b*ll*x! ;)

14. chrismc Forum Junkie

:lol: My 2L 8v would quite happily win a 0-60 against a standard valver & match a VR.....

The higher speeds were the problem [:s] [:$]

15. kiwgti Forum Member

so what do i need to konw now about getting a mk3 2l 16v and shold i rebuld it or not,
    all so when it is out what should i put in to it cam's, ecu ect,

16. nando Forum Member

hi kiwgti i've got a mk2 16v that now as a mk3 2.016v engine code abf,it run k-jet as the engine didn't come with the ecu,likei've said earlier, only a few mods and i saw 185. :)

as yours is an 8v try to find an engine that comes with the lot.

i've own'd both types(abf on k-jet & abf on digi) and the k-jet revs a lot happier. but this could be down to the gearboxs 020,02A.

17. GVK

Indeed :)

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

My 8vdone well that day too [:$]...............must loose more weight :lol:

19. chrismc Forum Junkie

Just get that pesky K-Star remapped Mikey-boy ;) ;)

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

got me own leads & software now boyo :lol:......just gotta get off my but & finish the strip down [:D]