Considering Matt Blacking my MK1?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by montythemole, Aug 18, 2005.

1. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

That's a look? In that case i'll leave my car as it is, i'm already there :lol:

2. DarkMK2 Forum Member

Y???[:s]i think you would just wash it off maybe?? it stil has a 'smooth' finish to it... its not like there are tiny imperfections not visible to the eye that'll trap dirt..... or is there??[:$]

i think you shoud go for matt blackpersonally[:^:].... the mk1 looked the f**kin dogs b****ks!!!:thumbup:
    Edited by: DarkMK2

3. neath_jmj Forum Member

[​IMG]

That looks awsome [:D]

I would suggest if you are gonna do it do it good and take your time [:D] if you dont it will look even worse but if you do it gooda and take your time it will benfit the finish more

Agree the splash of chrome spices it up and really contrats with the matt black looks well [8D]

4. Oplaii Forum Member

Couple more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. FaTT mk1 Forum Member

You can get a matting agent to put in normal gloss paint that way you get a smooth finish like the old style cellulose paint... u know the type... when u 'T' cut the car the same colour comes off on the rag. :)

6. montythemole Forum Member

Ohh that is exactly the lookI was going for, matt with chrome stripes and single lamp grille, except withoutthe red trim. Defo going for it now, just rying to find a new drivers side door as mine has been kicked in when the previous owner had it.

7. jonnydiscopants Forum Member

screw matt black, go army green:lol: i was gonna do mine that colour until i found 5 litres of kawasaki green in my shed so it went that colour. Next ones gonna be army green fo shizzle, With proper aircraft stylee airbrushing on it including the little tally chart of chav mobiles i.e saxos etc down the door for good measure ;)

8. DarkMK2 Forum Member

Kawasaki green + a mk1 Golf = one f**kin sexy motor!!!!

:lol:

matt black is still heavy too!!
    Edited by: DarkMK2

9. S1MMA Forum Member

I prefer the metallic black myself...

10. montythemole Forum Member

Well I matt blacked the bonnet and wings today, went fairly well, the bonnett is a little patchy as a bigger area but I'm hoping it looks better in the morning. Took 6 cans of Hycote's finest for wings and bonnet but then the bonnet is a big area. Figure the roof is gonna take a good few.

Wings look good, and goona do the reat of the passenger side tomorrow and get a pic for you all! Then need to drop the front as I've done the back so far and it looks like I'm carrying a dead body in the boot.

11. mk1vdub Forum Member

12. thebluebus Forum Junkie

i'm still not sure about matt black. Considered it on the mk2. I decided its VERY hard to make a good job of it, and VERY easy to make it look tacky and cheap.

13. montythemole Forum Member

Well here's the front, looks pretty good to me! The lower panel is just painted in an anti rust semi gloss at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. DarkMK2 Forum Member

monty, what is matt black like to apply compared to normal types of paint, e.g. cellulose. do you, for example, need religiously prep the panel your spraying?

Is the proceedure much different or exactly the same is what im getting at??

15. montythemole Forum Member

I actually found it easier to use than say the Halford Blue VW spray I sued on the rear arches.

The paint seems to be less prone to running so you can cover the areas a bit quicker, and you get far less differences in coverage than with normal paint (my rear wing had a few very shiney spots and a few quite dull spots from the VW Blue).

Also as it's matt it shows up any minor imperfections less so prep is easier. The only problem I've had so far is on the rear where I filled the wiper it's come out smoother on the area I've filled and ruvved down than elsewhere on the boot so a bit noticable. Will have another go at any dodgy areas once the whole car looks a bit better.

16. montythemole Forum Member

Got bored so have done the side of mine, looks good I think, just the roof and one rear wing, and the new door (when I get it) to do now. Basically one side is now complete apart from chrome trim so I can get a good idea of what it looks like.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And this is what it'll look like with the wheels (needs front lowering).
    [​IMG]

17. greg s Forum Member

Looks spot on without the mirrors and bumpers. Mine's the opposite way
    round to that - I fitted GTI springs on the front but I'm still on the bouncy
    1.1 springs at the back. :lol:

18. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

looks pretty good - will look nice with the chrome trim

are you going to apply some matt lacquer over the top for abit of protection?

19. montythemole Forum Member

Erm dunno really, the boot has been matt black for a couple of weeks and still looks good, will see how it goes.

Bumpers will be going back on. I like the front without but the rear looks a little bare without. Wanna get a GTI splitter as well to help it look lower.

Oh and this is how nice the car looked when I got ita couple of months back:

[​IMG]
    Edited by: montythemole

20. nwmlarge Forum Member

looks wicked in matt

must be well chuffed with the result