Considering Matt Blacking my MK1?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by montythemole, Aug 18, 2005.

1. montythemole Forum Member

Ta, I am well chufffed. Starting to look like a proper motor, and I looked at my drivers side door tonight and the dent will push out and I think for a quick fix I can fill and spray the rust and make it look ok for E38!

Got a nice looking motor now for naff all cash, cost less than I lost in depreciation on my Lupo in 6 months so even if I give the car away when I'm done it'll be cheaper!

2. montythemole Forum Member

Done!

Finished it off today, knocked the dent out the drivers door and filled the rust, still need a replacement but sparyed up it makes it presentable for E38. Roof maybe needs a few more coats but will wait for a less windy day (the fun of painting outdoors).

Even the wife admits it looks pretty good and she was dead against matt black.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. mk1vdub Forum Member

:o dude that looks mint, I actually love that :clap:

[​IMG]
    it just looks so good here [8D]

so what prep did you do in the end? just rub the old paint down with 800? and what paint did you use? is it just bog standard matt black halfords rattle cans?

I've been thinking about doing mine for some time now and that has totally persuaded me to get out there and give it a go, if I can get as good a finish as you it will look 100 times better than it does now

4. montythemole Forum Member

I just used Hycote Matt Black, 1.89 a 400ml can from my local cheapie store (Rock Bottom Warehouse). Did use about 15+ cans I think in the end but still cheap compared to a full respray! It was 6 for the front wings and bonnet, and think at least 8 for the rest.

Rubbed down with 800 just to key the surface, masked off then sprayed away. Found it well easy to do as it's thicker so doesn't run and covers better. Only problem is the flat surfaces like roof and bonnett are a bit tricky as aerosols spray a bit poo on to horizontal surfaces so they took a good few coats.

The nice thing is the paint is easy to match up again and blend so if you find a panel looks a bit cack just give another quick blowover.

It took me about 3-4 afternoons but I reckon you could do it in a full day easy.

Need to sort out the inner metalwork now as the previous owner hand painted a lot of it black and it's a bit poo so either need to rub down and spray or hand paint as best I can to cover his mess.

5. DarkMK2 Forum Member

:clap:Byjo Monty!!! That looks f.f.f.f***in sexy mate!!!:clap:

You have definitely made me seriously think... i needed to get a few panels repaired myself i.e. a few dings here and there, but you really have inspired me, as im sure you have with other members to go matt black!

The thing that really lures me into it is the ease of such a good result... just a quick rub down and away you go! however, did you need to do any repaire work at all, using filler? Would you know if i would have to use primer before paintingif i was to do any work like this? It looks from the pics that the dent in the drivers door could have been repaired... did you choose not to for the reason of having to prime?

6. montythemole Forum Member

I did have to do a fair bit of filler work and priming.

The arches I'd done previously to an OK standard (fitting arch trims at some point) and had primed and sprayed them the VW blue before so they just needed a bit more rub done and sprayed black.

I debaged and dewipered, and removed the wing aerial so they all got filled and rubbed done, primed and rubbed done, and then sprayed black. The wing is pretty good, leaving it like that. The debadging holes coulddo with rubbing down again and abitoffilling compound as it's not as smooth as I'd like. Where I dewipered the area I've filled and rubbed down/primed has come out smoother than the surrounding window area so it shows up a bit due to change in texture and again could do with a bit of filing compound.

I'd say the prep works can be a little easier than if you were painting in normal solid colours, and the beauty of the matt paint is it goes on well, and quite thick so is a bit forgiving.

The door I just pushed the dent out as the bottom front corner is rusted to hell and there's a big dent in the door pillar from a bad breakin. It was never going to look perfect and I will be replacing it so I was just making it respectable for now.

If anyone wants a lookie then I should be going to E38 on Saturday so look for it in the car park somewhere and try to ignore the patchy roof, shoddy interior and bottom down stance.

7. thebluebus Forum Junkie

i take it back! its come out looking good. :thumbup:

8. Switch625 Forum Member

You car looks fantastic [:D] :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

9. Lupo Si New Member

Did you just prime the fillered sections and give the whole car a sanding down?

Or primer the whole car?

Getting tempted as well!

S
    Edited by: Lupo Si

10. montythemole Forum Member

I just primed the filled areas and rubbed down all over. The last respray had been down fairly well, the paint was well keyed in so just rubbing it to give something for the matt to key into was enough (well it hasn't fallen off yet anyway!)

Went to Edition 38 today and got a few thumbs up so must be OK!

Also saw this there:

[​IMG]

11. mk1vdub Forum Member

[:D] [8D] love it

12. DarrenW Forum Junkie

I found this pic, and thought of this thread:

[​IMG]

OH MY GOD! HOW HARD DOES THAT LOOK!

13. DarkMK2 Forum Member

windscreen wiper looks like it could do with an adjustment! :lol:

otherwise a top notch cabby!!! :clap:LOVE IT!!!

talk about on its a.rse!!!!:lol:
    Edited by: DarkMK2

14. montythemole Forum Member

Oh yeah, I do like that!

Have been debating going black rims myself, I've sprayed a couple of original GTI 9 Spokes matt black to see how they last and will stick em on once I get around to dropping the front.

15. neath_jmj Forum Member

:clap::clap: Looks great in the pics mate fair do!!!

Cracking cant wait to see it finished with the chrome, some fat 13" rims and lowered to the weeds would make ur carsweet mate [:D]

16. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

matt black :clap:

mk1 :clap:

matt black plus mk1= :clap: :clap:

[:s] :lol:

17. montythemole Forum Member

Ta for encouragement!

I started to sort the interior a bit, got some chequer plate mats (proper alu one's not that plastic ones) for the front so I'm carrying the metal and black theme through, gonna try and make up some chequer plate door cards etc.Have new frontseats ready to go in at some point and maybe even install some tunes!

Here's the boot so far (don't need rear seats as don't have more than one mate who'd wantto go in the car!):

[​IMG]

18. Lupo Si New Member

Did you spray the interor metal as well? Door shutts must be a pain!

S

19. montythemole Forum Member

Well it's getting there now, arches on and my ebay bargain wheels as well, now it REALLY needs to have the front dropped, just trying to find the time and the coil compressors!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. kirby Forum Junkie

Weren't you selling it on ebay?
    Those wheels really suit it. :)