daNpy - Golf MKII Group H

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by daNpy, Apr 4, 2022.

1. daNpy Forum Member

Hello everybody, my name is Danny and I am from The Netherlands.

I've seen this forum/ website before, but today I got really interested to register due to a thread about making baffling plates in the oil sump.

So, in order to discuss, I registered.

Apart from the 1986 Golf 2 GTI 16v we own a BMW, Seat and the car I have longer than my wife is my 1973 DAF 66 Marathon Coupé:

[​IMG]
    I bought this car in February 2005 and also made some modifications to it, there's rare Koni suspension on it, a 1400 cc engine from a Volvo 340 and some other improvements here and there. As the picture indicates this car also used on tracks, like the Nürburgring and we also did quite a few (amateur) reallies with it, just for fun.

But this forum is about the Volkswagens of course, so I'll start with the Golf.
    As said, it was produced as one of the first 1986 16v GTI's. I bought it in 2010 (I think) from some Nürburgring enthousiasts. The car was modified accordingly: KW v2 suspension; rollcage, adjustable bucket seats, suspension bars here and there and the motor was tuned by a Dutchman. The torque curve was actually a straight from low to high rpm making the car feel fast everytime you stepped on the gas, despite the 140 hp.

So me and some friends from the race team started taking the car apart. More interior parts out, roll cage out, bucketseats out. Proper seat mountings were welded and the complete cage was modified and extended. The interior was painted in the same colour as the green metallic from the outside. The car was red originally, and so was the interior still.
    We painted the roll cage bright orange and I started building everything back. We made it all according the FIA Group H specification.

In 2012 I started driving the car - on tracks only as there the car comes to right. I did import it into the Netherlands to be able to make test drives on the road, so it does have a license. It is registered as 2 seater on papers [:D]

In the mean time I also had the front axle and rear axle sand blasted and painted in orange & black. The rubbers are all new Powerflex black series. Many upgrades were installed and I drove it up to 5 times a year on the track. Until in 2015 the engine gave. I suspect there was a oil shortage in the long and fast left hander at Assen, causing the crankshaft bearings to fail.

We finally sold our appartment in 2016 and then started moving around until we bought a piece of land where we could build a nice house - and a decent garage. Fast forward to last year;
    A 9A engine was built with catcams by a former colleague. I fitted KMS throttlebodies and a KMS ECU. Put it all in the car and brought it to KMS for the roll out.
    190 hp and 200 Nm of torque after setting the computer :)

On March 12th I went to Zolder to roll-out the car. After 7 years, it was really a "man I did get worse in this" experience. After some laps I finally got the hang of it back. Without really trying I already had 10 seconds of my best time there. On the old Toyo tires I bought 10 years ago. THe car held marvelously until I was waved the black flag; too much noise. At 100 dB where 98 allowed, I was only given one more chance. And then, when I already wanted to quit after the second (full) session, another black flag. I was releasing throttle in the last session at the microphones, but I still got caught with 98,5 dB.
    Nevertheless a good experience.

Time for pics!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2022
  2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Nice story!

Looking forward to more.

3. Tristan

Nice story! Looking forward to seeing more.

daNpy likes this.
  4. daNpy Forum Member

Thanks!
    There is a lot more to tell, but I found this already quite the introduction.
    Can you see the pictures by the way? I can't... no clue why.

5. stephen stanyer Forum Member

welcome interesting right up. I can not see the pictures either

daNpy likes this.
  6. daNpy Forum Member

That's unfortunate. In the preview I can't see them either, but adding them with the rich text editor places them directly in the field. Looks like the forums proxy is messing things up?

Meanwhile here are the links to the pictures:

The DAF: https://www.autofans.nl/bestanden/DAF1_FullHD.jpg

The Golf at Assen: https://www.autofans.nl/bestanden/Golf2_FullHD.jpg

The Golf in Zolder: https://www.autofans.nl/bestanden/Golf/20220312_Zolder/Car_Hunter_1.jpg
    https://www.autofans.nl/bestanden/Golf/20220312_Zolder/Car_Hunter_6.jpg
    https://www.autofans.nl/bestanden/Golf/20220312_Zolder/Skylimit1.jpg

The engine: https://www.autofans.nl/bestanden/Golf/IMG20211005205639s.jpg

7. Adamss24 Forum Member

Nice Story with lots of details ! Cannot see the pictures either but I will click the links ! Well done keeping the good old girl in tip top condition !

daNpy likes this.
  8. daNpy Forum Member

Haha, take a look at the pictures, because tip-top condition is not really what it is [:D]

On the pictures the car looks quite nice but due to a lot of driving on the track there is a lot of stone-chip damage on the front.
    The green paint is applied very bad and at some points just falls off. Of course, a previous owner thought it would be nice to apply the (expensive) Porsche metallic green, but for a track car it is not really convenient [:D]

Adamss24 likes this.
  9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've seen this error crop up before for some random image hosts, seems to be a problem between the way our image proxy works and the site host not liking it. the proxy reports: Unable to Connect to ssl://www.autofans.nl:443. Error #0

but if you get a few more posts under your belt you can upload images direct to the forum :)

daNpy likes this.
  10. daNpy Forum Member

It's not a random image host, it's my domain ;)
    I've contacted the admin to see if there is a solution.

I'll do my best.
    Updates are soon to come, or are they to be posted in the cars/ projects section?

11. rubjonny

I can move the thread if you like :)

12. daNpy Forum Member

Well I don't mind, I don't know the exact forum rules. I can just keep updating this topic, because there will be some to come on the short term :)

13. rubjonny

if you want to turn this thread into a build thread I'll move it, if not you can start a new build thread in the project section. whatever you prefer :)

14. daNpy Forum Member

Small update from this weekend. Had little time to work on the car as I am a popular guy amongst my friends now I have lift in my garage [:D]

As explained in the OP the car is too loud for Zolder, which means it will be too loud for the other tracks in my region (Zandvoort, Assen, Meppen).
    An airbox will solve a main part of the issue, hopefully all. I ordered it in the UK last week and according to Fedex it should have arrived last Friday, but it didn't. I thought it was just too fast to be true.

To fit the airbox I have to get rid of the alternator which is just too close to the throttlebodies. I bought a small alternator from a Daihatsu and initially it looked like it would fit quite nice, except I would have to make the adjustment from below.

https://www.autofans.nl/bestanden/Golf/IMG20220329202143s.jpg

As I already cut of the lower part of the support for weight reasons, I took the 2 spare ones I had. They have better possibilities but the wheel for the belt would be 14 mm off. That's not easily solved, so I decided to build my own supports.

http://www.autofans.nl/bestanden/Golf/IMG-20220408-WA0024s.jpg

They need to be completed by welding, sanding and some spray, but at least it looks like it fits. A steel beam for the adjustment needs to be made at work.
    A shorter belt did the trick:
    https://www.autofans.nl/bestanden/Golf/IMG20220410171127s.jpg

[​IMG]

(The server should have the certificate issue fixed, but the pictures still didn't work in the preview?)

15. daNpy Forum Member

Meanwhile, the next booked trackday at the 27th of April is coming in fast.
    Last Tuesday the airbox arrived, quite fast so I'm very happy. I also changed the alternator support from the previous pictures because there was no Y-support. It's now a thick alu block, 150x56x20 mm. I need to support this from below to avoid have 4 rotation points. The adjustment beam is also ready.
    Today I finally got to drilling holes in the backplate for the airbox. I was quite happy it went well, although all 4 of the big holes needed some filing. I drilled with a 44 mm and the holes are 45, so thats no surprise. I just didn't want to be off by a lot and create mega holes (the next drill is 48 mm).

Some shorter air horns are already fitted, now I can start on moving the radiator. IMG20220415204501s.jpg

16. daNpy Forum Member

So the front beam (lock carrier) and the airbox wanted to use the same space. The lock carrier lost.

IMG-20220417-WA0012s.jpg

The radiator also needed some replacement, I've put it a few cm to the front, that's enough to clear the airbox. No further modifications to the lock carrier were necessary. My initial plan was to put the radiator in front of the normal beam, and also a bit lower, but then the lock carrier needed some more cutting. As the grille is also fixed to this, it would al get a bit more tricky to fit the outer body work and get enough clearance.

IMG-20220417-WA0010s.jpg

Now I'm working on the airducts for the brakes. Zolder is hard on the brakes, I could do with some extra cooling. On the gearbox side I can make a custom support quite easy, but on the kerb side I have to get down from the longitudinal beam quite a bit, which makes it not really sturdy...

17. daNpy Forum Member

Today we've measured the noise that car makes with and without airbox.
    The backplate and the 45 mm airhorns are fitted for the first test, which should be compareable to the measurement on Zolder (100dB).
    Due to the closer measuerement location at the side of the road, compared to tracks where the mics are further away, we got 103 dB on a full throttle fly-by with 6000+ rpm.

After removing the front to be able to fit the airbox, we set up the equipment for the second measurement. At that point the car suddenly started to run differently. Like a cilinder was not joining the rest, stuttering, no power.
    After some checks on the fuel and spark plugs we checked the wiring and came tot he conclusion the DIS coil was faulty for 2 cilinders. I called the supplier and it's still in warranty but that didn't mean I could get a new one quickly. I called around but no-one had one on the shelf.
    So I decided to get the first DIS coil I have, which had a broken pin (yes my confidence has dropped in this part). I managed to solder a wire to the pin on the coil and the pin (to fit the leads) itself to the wire. Tested the coil and.. the Pat & Mat solution worked!

So while the equipment was setup again I warmed up the engine and did a couple of fly-by's afterwards.
    The result showed 96 dB! Even with the headlight taken out.
    I actually don't like that but that is an issue for later.
    For now we can drive on ZOlder the 27th!

18. Tristan

Good results!

19. daNpy Forum Member

Yes I'm very pleased.

Yesterday the new semi slicks also arrived, which I will mount tot he newly painted rims today.
    I ordered R888R's but they were not available in time, so I got Nankang AR1's. They should be the same or better than the Toyos, so I'm curious. It's not a fair comparison, as the Toyo's are 10 years old :lol:

20. daNpy Forum Member

21. daNpy Forum Member

Decided to put on the new discs. Will bleed tomorrow just to be sure. Then pack it up and off we go!
    IMG20220425213113.jpg

dodgy and caddyboet like this.