daNpy - Golf MKII Group H

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by daNpy, Apr 4, 2022.

1. daNpy Forum Member

Seeing Tony's post in Steffen topic about his ITB setup, which showed a glance of the radiator, I decided (after consulting Tony) to skip the search for a radiator which is more or less what I need, and just copy Tony's setup.
    In the Netherlands we have a saying that roughly translates as "Better to steal it good than design it wrong" :lol:

So I went and bought a Honda Civic radiator on Ebay, the full alu 3 row version. I checked the dimensions in the ad and the space in the car and it should fit, with some work obviously. When I tried the first fitments the radiator has indeed a height of 42 cm, but that excludes the filler cap! And as space is limited, those extra cms are becoming crucial. The engine is out, so that means very easy access, and being able to make decent pictures.

As said the radiator is too high. It needs some tilting for best fitment.
    IMG20221223102438s.jpg

Why I am holding it backwards?
    Well, the radiator has to go deep:
    IMG20221223102448s.jpg
    In fact, so deep that the lower tube connection is behind the radiator-bar:
    IMG20221223102543s.jpg IMG20221223102559s.jpg

I will have to make a big cut out in this part. I've already thought out how, without losing the strength of the bar. As it's only the radiator "holder" it doesn't need 3 mm thick steel as reinforcement I guess.

Next thing I accidentally found out is that the angle of the front gearbox support is different between 2Y and 02A gearboxes:
    IMG20221223103412s.jpg

So I will need a Golf MK3 engine support in stead of the MK2 that's on the orange beam now?

Steffen and erreesse like this.
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

its not the gearbox making the difference, its the front engine carrier. the mk3 one sits lower and flatter. what you need with your mk2 front engine carrier is a golf g60/corrado/passat 4 cylinder bracket. the 02a bracket you have is the mk3 golf version, it'll work if you can source a corrado vr6 type front engine carrier though

3. daNpy Forum Member

Somebody spotted the issue for me; Tony's car does not have the radiator-section of the cross member anymore!
    That explains why he has so much more room [:D]
    Now I can spend the Christmas days thinking what to do.
    Modify the radiator-cross member OR leave it out and modify the engine support-cross member, which would include adding the supports for the front cross panel.

4. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Ahh, ok....answered you message earlier. Yes, I threw the other part of the cross member away as it didn't seem to do much really apart from hold the radiator and add weight (threw the whole cross member away in the end for the same reason lol).

Fits tidy then, needs a bit off trimming here and there, but nothing major. Needed to add a bracket top old the headlight frame as I recall, that was about it. I threw most of the front end away in the end, just the plastic part of the bumper left, kept a bit of the bumper either side to mount the spots and hold the bumper in place. The bracketry is a bit chunky as its also held the sump guard, but that's not needed on a track car.

Being a racer I tend not to take too much notice of all the safety gear, just slows the car....crashing isn't an option lol.

Few pics below, plus the ducting I fitted, but the ducting is too good now, runs too cool, I'm going to reduce it and let some air past to reduce its efficiency a bit. Have to run the grill covered and taped up on the road and going to events as it just runs too cool, just take it off on an event or on the rollers.

IMAG2969.jpg IMAG3000.jpg IMAG3556.jpg IMAG3562.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  5. daNpy Forum Member

It's Christmas time! So I went and bought some presents... for myself [:D]
    A Sachs racing clutch for the 02A gearbox, the crossmember with radiator bar, a lock carrier and an additional gearbox mount for 2Y box, which I am going to modify to be a G60/Passat variant (angle of box support like 2Y box, 3rd mounting point of 02A box).
    To top it off I am ordering Powerflex black series for the crossmember fitting.

IMG20221229105818.jpg

I didn't want to modify the current parts, as they are nicely coated and in good condition. These parts will be painted or coated as well after they are modified.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
    caddyboet and TonyB like this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The best kind of presents.

daNpy likes this.
  7. daNpy Forum Member

Once again, cad engineering

IMG20221229114202.jpg

erreesse and TonyB like this.
  8. daNpy Forum Member

The lower bar has been modified and mounted. The 2 supports for the lower panel I spent an hour or two on are not necessary, as the steel of the panel is strong enough and fixed on 6 other points anyway.
    I'm working on the front now to design some mounts for the radiator and oil cooler, and of course the pins for the aerocatch locks.

IMG20230103110257.jpg

IMG-20230103-WA0011.jpeg

The gearbox front mount needs to be adjusted by welding an 11mm threaded bushing to it. I will have this bushing made next week at work, so that will have to wait a bit.

IMG20230103110203.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  9. daNpy Forum Member

Making the outer support is not really easy!

IMG20230103143910.jpg IMG20230103143932.jpg IMG20230103143920.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  10. daNpy Forum Member

The two supports are created and attached to the cross member. Don't mind the welds, I am using a small welding machine for bodywork with flux cored wire. The machine is not powerfull enough to make a decent temperature in the cross member. Thursday I'll go to my mate who has a decent machine.

IMG20230103164535.jpg

erreesse and TonyB like this.
  11. daNpy Forum Member

Both supports are now welded decently onto the cross member. I also made a small bracket for the aerocatch pin and welded it to the front part. No pictures yet.

I also got the message that the flywheel is ready. On the pictures it looks really thin.
    And does anybody know the number for the thrust bearing in the clutch? I can't find it in catcar.info....

Is it 02A 141 165 ?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2023
  12. rubjonny

02A141165G -> A -> M :)

daNpy likes this.
  13. daNpy Forum Member

Picture time!
    As promised the pictures of the radiator supports. I welded the fronts shut but I am now thinking to cut them back open to allow moist or fluids to evaporate. Knowing myself, the supports will be filled with coolant the first time I am filling the system.

IMG20230106133159.jpg

The hood pins are alo in place:

IMG20230106133651.jpg IMG20230106133711.jpg

I also made a small modification to the front support to allow more space for the collant hose. This is how the radiator is in now:

IMG20230106134335.jpg IMG20230106135004.jpg

Next up is the oil cooler. I am going to position it here, well below the airbox. For both radiator and oil cooler air guidance should be fairly easy to make. According to Tony, it won't even be necessary [:D]

IMG20230106143247.jpg

The oil cooler is a bit close to the oil filter. A short one like this (120mm) can be removed without problems, but I also had much longer filters previously. They should fit but (de)mouning is going to be tight. Then the cooler has to be turned away a bit I guess.

TonyB and erreesse like this.
  14. daNpy Forum Member

02A gearbox on 2Y engine support?
    Make your own bracket :)
    IMG20230114114639.jpg

erreesse likes this.
  15. rubjonny

did you also shorten that to make it match up to the longer rear?

16. daNpy Forum Member

For the 10mm longer rear support you mean? No I didn't shorten it. But I also haven't extended the rear yet.
    The supplier of the second hand parts now has an original MK2 G60/Passat16v-02A bracket, so I can just exchange my 02A support for that one.

The engine is still out of the car. I had to decide what to do with the gearbox. For financial reasons, I will just put the gearbox on as-is and go for a revision and LSD next winter. Now I have to pick up the flywheel before I can mount the gearbox.
    Then I still have to make sure everything fits, have the modified parts sandblasted and coated, and build in the MK3 cable-shift system.

17. rubjonny

no problem there then. since you can weld its easy sorted if you get a longer rear if you needed to :)

18. daNpy Forum Member

Yeah I talked to the guy that I bought this stuff from - he wasn't familiar with the longer rear support. And he's done quite some builds as well and sells many engines (overhauled and with ITBs etc). I'll take my rear support to hem next time to see if he has any others.
    Otherwise, I can have an alu plate milled at work [:D]

19. rubjonny

yeah to be fair its not all that much of an issue, I'm sure there are thousands of cars out there still on the 020 brackets with 02a box. main thing is if you have a 20v clearance to the MC isnt all that great so that extra 10mm can make the difference

erreesse and daNpy like this.
  20. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

If its the left have rear engine support that is 10mm too long, I had Vibratech one fitted and I machined it down about 5mm and made a 5mm spacer to the matching Vibratech gearbox one to level it all up as I recall.....just for info, as there is enough meat on the mount to machine it down if you strip it.