Ebay / VMI Forged Conrods & Bolts. Never again..... !

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Nige, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Lost for words.

This entire thread should be pulled.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    MUSHY 16V likes this.
  2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Let's stick to the facts

Crispy 8V likes this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I do not think the thread should be pulled maybe an edit in certain places if the OP agrees, although until tonight no one complained.

There are a lot of people using the same design and quality rods with the same or a different seller's name (s) for 1.8 T, VR6s, American V8s, Opels etc. Some rods seen even come with 'ARP' bolts which can be fake!
    The design of the rods, that failed seem to share similarities to CP-Carrillo jobs I have seen.
    Those who own road cars with similar rods fitted, seem to have no problems. In this case there certainly was, when subjected to prolong track use.

So I believe it is important that this thread stays up as a warning to what can happen when you buy cheap rods. This I believe was the original intention and of course Nige can confirm.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  4. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Ed, as you know my reply was in response to a comment made about the Chinese which has now been since removed but most of the original post remains.

Brian,

5. Toyotec

So post not thread?

6. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

As noted, it could be the rods, it could be the build, it could be the previous build, it could be something else.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
  8. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

From my first post.

That`s what happened. I detailed my thoughts, build, issues with the small end on the first engine, my build of the 2nd engine and subsequent failure.

Whilst you might not be 100% on the quality of my work, let me just say, I work to higher tolerances on MUCH more critical equipment in my day to day job. I don`t just throw stuff together in the hope everything is ok....;)

The_Teller, mat-mk3, Toyotec and 5 others like this.
  9. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Thank You for bringing it back to the original topic, the details of your failed engine in the hope someone else may learn :thumbup: even a 10K engine fails

Sirguydo and Nige like this.
  10. carlg Forum Member

I would just like to add in experience with ebay rods.

i have 2 20vt AGU engines with aftermarket rods, one with a set of IE rods (cost me just over 400 from a supplier that had them on the shelf) and one with a set of ebay special 199 rods.

I drag race my golf and like to have a spare engine in case i kill one, the only reason i change the rods is that stock ones tend to bend and after doing 2 sets of stock rods i decided to go with IE rods as most people seem happy with them, after thinking i had made a mistake in the assembly i bought a set of ebay rods to build up another engine as a stop gap until i could strip and check the first engine.

turns out i had damaged my turbo which was causing my issues, so this season i used my car with the ebay rods and although the engine is now broken (dropped a valve) the rods had nothing to do with it (just my too small injectors :( )

I plan on stripping the ebay rods back out of the broken engine in the next few days so i will report back then.

I have been using a k04 with a 100 hp shot of nitrous on this engine whist drag racing, i also did a couple of track sessions with it even getting the oil temps a bit on the high side whist chasing a lotus and they seemed to hold up fine, i have also been using the car to drive to events so its not a trailer queen (yet!!)

although i would recommend that people go with known quantity rods I have not had an issue with mine, the company that supplied them are called max speeding on ebay.

jamesa likes this.
  11. Toyotec

Does maxspeed racing use genuine ARP 2000 bolts with the rod kit?

12. jamesa Forum Junkie

13. carlg Forum Member

they said they did in the advert "Including Genuine ARP 2000 bolts" and they looked ok when i installed them (if i can get my **** into gear i will strip that engine this morning and post a pic if that helps)

jamesa likes this.
  14. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Another maxspeeding but a .co.uk.

http://www.maxspeedingrods.co.uk/hi...ing-rods-with-arp-l19-bolts.html#.VCZp16akrCQ

275 though.

Feature
    Fit for Audi S3/4 A4/6 TT VW Golf GTI Jetta
    Type Forged 4340 EN24 Aircraft Chrome Moly Steel H-Beam Connecting Rod
    Quantity 1 set of 4 pieces
    Bolts Including Genuine ARP L19 bolts
    Bolts size 3/8"
    Lubricants Including ARP Ultra Torque Assembly Lubricant
    Tolerance Balanced to +/- 1 gram in set
    Warranty 1 year
    Dimensions
    Center to center length 144mm
    Big end diameter 50.6mm
    Small end diameter 20mm
    Big end width 24.9mm
    Small end width 24.9mm

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  15. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

16. carlg Forum Member

just to be clear these are the rods i bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Audi-A4-A3-A6-S4-TT-1-8-Turbo-Performance-Conrod-Con-Rods-ARP-2000-bolt-SALE-/321401531861?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4ad5062dd5

and in the advert it states

Bolts: Including Genuine ARP 2000 bolts

Note: Extra cost for upgrading to ARP L19 bolts

hope that helps someone

Toyotec likes this.
  17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

They're not rifle drilled so I would steer clear anyway.

18. carlg Forum Member

Here is a pic of the bolt sorry for the rubbish pic

[​IMG]

also just to add the rifle drilling is an optional extra on ie rods my ie rods are not rifle drilled for my use i did not see it as required for my use

19. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

My Pauter 20vt rods are not riffle drilled and have not caused a problem at all for many thousands of miles and 4 years on my 460bhp engine right up to the point when i had a supertech valve failure which killed the engine

Same rods are soon going back into another engine destined for circa 700 bhp

I have spoken to a very good reputable engine builder and he assured me that riffle drilling is not required if block has oil squirters fitted and piston oil galleries are drilled towards the pin

20. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Id still get drilled option if it were me. I know people who have non drilled too, but I'd rather have it. Just as VW did.

Nige likes this.