Ebay / VMI Forged Conrods & Bolts. Never again..... !

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Nige, Sep 3, 2014.

1. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

maybe a fare point but not everone has a bottomless pit of cash to spent on parts
    plenty of people will buy rods like this
    most will never get near the breaking point of the bolt or rod so all is cushtie
    so is a win win for both seller and customer

then you get use lot that will push it to the limit
    bang #

interestingly i think nige would have been better of with the standard rods than the ebay ones

i would be intrested in rods and bolts that did survive tested in someway

2. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I think anyone that does not have enough cash would be better off leaving the oem rods in place rather than buy anything 'uprated' that has a price less than 400euro.

Thats just my opinion though, but when you think of all the other parts that are at risk if said parts let go then skimping on them seems pretty foolish to me.

I could go on and on about this and tell you what rods I wouldn't trust on any account if it was my engine but I wont bother because everyone has to make a few quid.

A highly polished oem forged rod is not to be sneezed at if anyone is on a budget.

Brian,

tshirt2k, A.N. Other and vr6smith like this.
  3. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Pay 150 for rods, have it fail, analyse why that might have happened, then share it with the forum (s) to warn others, I believe was the point of this thread?

Nige likes this.
  4. Toyotec

I agree with you on the stock roads, which so far I use myself.

Would you be able to cast some light on the parts that failed and those that did not if they were sent to you, along with the replacements?

5. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Indeed, and its good info - but bringing the seller into it was pointless considering price point and it all went a bit ''attack mode'' from then on.

Couldn't say for sure what happened the rods - when the original images were sent to me a while back I initially thought right way that it was small end pin seizure. Wouldn't, or could not fully call it either way unless I had built engine and was 100% sure everything else was correct or knew for sure it was by looking at build log notebook clearances/torques. Not doubting ANYONE on this point but it would matter from a 3rd party ''what went wrong'' point of view.

Brian,

tom.rich likes this.
  6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Would that be the very same number 4 cylinder rod that was subject to a small end pin problem, when the piston circlip came out and the piston pin moved across to score the bore wall, >> here <<?

For 150 a set, you just weigh them in after a problem. Chicken feed. Not use them again and then set about blackening the seller's rep on the net :thumbd:

You get Rolex warranties with a Rolex. Not without.

7. Toyotec

The seller came here of his own accord.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So then, what do you all think of this [:?:]

9. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Guys please all be nice :thumbup:

Nige has very kindly shared his victories and trials and tribulations with us on the forum :clap:
    He's not an f1 mechanic or designer he's a good guy doing his best with moderate resources both equipment and money wise :thumbup:
    None of us are perfect or infallible we're human [:s] hindsight knowledge and experience are all wonderful and Nigel's sharing helps us all to learn that's the great things about forums :thumbup:there's people like me and nige that like to do stuff and tinker not pay others to do it all . That's what I like to do when I get chance :thumbup:
    I'm a make do and mend type of guy I much prefer to cobble something together than buy it lol
    At the end of the day nige runs his golf to enjoy track driving no other reason . He's upgraded and developed his car over years of trial and error turning it into a formidable piece of track car :thumbup:
    Constructive criticism is good name calling and negativity are not and have no place on here [xxx][}:)][:o)][><]

Off topic the forum has been quieter but happier recently :thumbup:
    Name calling and snide remarks or criticisms benefit nobody and only show immaturity[:o)]

IMO the bolts look totally rubbish rods maybe ok but an engine is always the sum of it's parts the weakest point almost always causes the pain:cry:

Everybody be happy it's not your engine and feel sorry for Nigel and the club will be a happier place :thumbup:

Jonsie, Nige, fasteddie and 2 others like this.
  10. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Thats interesting Chris - had not seen that thread nor did I know the engine or its history. Been out of the loop on here for months.

Anyways, Im not going to comment any further because I feel its pointless and 'knowing' many of you for years makes things awkward.

While I often do 'Forensic Engineering' for people in cases like this, I tend not to want to know that person or the supplier, nor want my name mentioned to keep it all a level playing field. Im not an Engineer as Ive mentioned a thousand times and all Ill do is ask questions or point out certain things where answers have been breezed over - based solely on basic Engineering practice and yrs of r+d/failure Analysis. These points are then brought up by the lawyer/solicitor.
    Thats way beyond what we have here, but thats generally how it goes.

And for the record - I dont think slating a manufacturer (or re-seller in this case) is cool on an open forum without all Ts being crossed. I didn't slate the Christmas cracker company last year because their magnifying glass was useless;)

Brian,

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
    A.N. Other likes this.
  11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Exactlly my thoughts - and thank you Brian :clap:

12. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Anyone see my Troll :(

13. MUSHY 16V

i'd hardness test one of failed bolts as a starting point and go from there

14. Toyotec

Thread cleaned up :thumbup:

fasteddie likes this.
  15. Toyotec

Is this a destructive test Justin? I ask as I can send one of my ARP 2000s for reference.

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I still feel it is wholly unfair that someone's business is being slated here, when the members here cannot say for certainty what happened to that rod. Brian has suggested a small end failure, which is not the fault of a big end bolt, but could lead to it. Were that to be the case, then the thread is totally up a blind alley.

There are too many unknowns.

For balance and objectivity I feel at least the business name should be removed entirely. Otherwise it is a business being targeted without credible basis, which reflects on the Club :thumbup:

The seller has got bills to pay / family / obligations like anyone else. It easily comes up on Google searches (which is clearly the intention).

17. MUSHY 16V

will leave a small mark on the bolt yes

a standard oem bolt will do to test it against

18. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I too feel sellers name should be pulled. Too many variables to call him out for sure.

Brian,

19. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Chris not everybody has an oettinger bottom end :thumbup: so we all like recommendations or warnings [:s]
    Nige has said never again , but it's up to anyone what they choose to do we live in the age of internet infomation:thumbup:

The internet has it's pros and conrods lol

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    RobT, fasteddie and Crispy 8V like this.
  20. MUSHY 16V

time for bed i think i work in the morning

fasteddie likes this.