Ebay / VMI Forged Conrods & Bolts. Never again..... !

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Nige, Sep 3, 2014.

1. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

As I said Above, I agreed to differ, but you continue to suggest the engine was built incorrectly, when I have said, on several occasions that your procedures were followed, yet you offer no suggestion as to HOW it was built incorrectly.

Well, I beg to differ.

What oval cylinders of aircraft ? They are not oval at all. They were measured accurately and are well within specifications. Why is 280HP funny ?

Whilst I appreciate English is not your first language, some of your comments make no sense. [:s]

I didn`t write as I had said all I needed to say, but you keep blaming me for poor assembly, yet can`t explain how. [:s]

If you read my post, the piston was not STUCK in the cylinder, it was free to move, it was smashed to pieces by the flailing conrod and whacking in the cylinder head and valves.

The piston is broken into the piston because it smashed into the cylinder head when the conrod bolt sheared at 6,400rpm, snapping the rod, destroying a block, crank, oil pump and cylinder head in the process.

2. vr6smith Forum Member

I don't know... This gsi_tuning guy Says he has come here to restore his good name.... But all he has done is argue, very unprofessional, not what you would expect as a paying customer. Also offers no technical assistance but insists that as all the others work fine this one does too.... Well don't things go wrong. To example all vehicles are mass produced to exacting standards, yet two cars drive away from the factory, ones air con pump packs up two days later. Things happen, what you would expect is it fixed or replaced. And an apology. I don't see any sympathy or empathy towards you nige, just aggression and accusing you of being a rubbish engineer. I think mr gsi_tuning has made his name worse not better.

The_Teller and Nige like this.
  3. LUPOCHARGED

LUPOCHARGED Paid Member Paid Member

I saw this and thought i would share.
    Re: Chinese H-Beams. Are the ARP Bolts Genuine?
    Postby BirdMan Fri May 11, 2012 4:53 pm

I bought some h-beam rods from a decent internet shop I had bought from before and these may have been on ebay??? I built a 351C using some 6.2 rods and pistons I already had. Bolts said ARP or so I thought, some Ford site said theirs had A.R.P. and mine broke at 7,000 rpm out the side of a block, pan, etc. Engine is still on stand as I am still ****ed off at myself for believing they were genuine.

I would buy genuine ARP bolts and use them.
    Dale C.

4. Nige

I`ve got a set of ie rods with GENUINE ARP`s for the new engine. For the sake of a little bit more, it was a no brainer after this experience...

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

:o :o

What a statement... Great to see we had this positive effect on you :clap:

6. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

So you guys trolled gti-tuning off the forum lol
    Eddie I thought it was your job to make sure this sort of thing doesn't happen ;)lol
    Glad you've got you're new parts Nige your monster will soon be shocking Porsches and bmw's again :thumbup:

7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I thought he could not get enough of the place [:D]. What next? Tell us we can get an all balanced GTX3071R and gasflowed equal length manifold for 200 quid?

As Nige gave his only begotton Golf, to sacrifice an ABF engine for all those who sinned, buying up the finest Ebay $20 rods and chocolate bolts, with top quality grease, then have the humility to report unashamed on here after paying a price to learn, we just sayin...:thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    Richard Mk2 and Nige like this.
  8. Sirguydo

We all think you and Nige are ace and we mustn't forget rubjonny either lol:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

9. Nige

Just to finish off.

Integrated Engineering Rods are ready to fit to the replacement engine. The marks on the rods are simply the oil they are covered in to protect them until use.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rifle drilled
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A `VMI-Rod Bolt`
    [​IMG]

Genuine ARP
    [​IMG]

VMI
    [​IMG]

ARP
    [​IMG]

10. Prawn Forum Member

Looking good Nige :)

Assembly time!

Nige likes this.
  11. Sirguydo

Just a slight difference in quality then ![:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)][:o)]

Nige get one of the vmi bolts and screw it into something and see what lbs it fails at ?

12. Nige

I`d hazard a guess at 6300rpm, ~280HP... ;)

13. Sirguydo

How can you joke about that [eek][xxx][eek]

14. Nige

Can`t change it now. It is what it is. That`s why I posted this thread, to share my experience.

Don`t get me wrong, I`d rather they hadn`t failed and I didn`t have to spend several hundred pounds buying the bits and building ANOTHER engine...

15. Sirguydo

That's the problem with seeking high performance in a shed [:-B]
    We find it difficult to cope with research and experimentation failure costs [eek][eek][eek][eek][xxx]
    Keep up the good work :thumbup:
    If you need owt just shout ;)
    You seen my new toy ? ( proper rivnut set ) [l][l][l][:D]

16. TonyB Paid Member Paid Member

Interesting, if disappointing thread. Like Nige I will often try things that people say can't/shouldn't be done and see if they work, sometimes you stumble on something that has slipped under the radar. I personally think the rods would probably be ok to a point, if the bolts were of a known standard. There is the issue.

I was interested in the pics of the rods and ARP bolts, good work Nige. The reason being I have a set of non specific I section steel rods that came in an engine I aquired, they look ok and I assumed they had ARP bolts, I've just had a check against Nige's pics and they are proper ARP 2000's so that's ok.

I like the rifle drilling on the IE rods, that's a step further than many go and a good thing to see, the small end bearings look nice and solid as well. I hear the issue with many cheaper rods is they use a white metal small end with a very light weigh 'bronze' part to it. The engineering company I use for some of my engine work were telling me when I was discussing machining them to fit in to an engine they were not intended for the other day.

Nige likes this.
  17. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

18. Nige

Rod failed, Pauter looked after him with a replacement set.

Interestingly, even at 1,100BHP, the rod bolts held together....

Finite likes this.
  19. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

Agreed. I respect all people who have posted in this thread but playing cat and mouse with seller in question is a bit silly.

If they were a 2000euro set of pankls I would agree, but these items from a lucky bag, nope.

Brian,

A.N. Other and tshirt2k like this.
  20. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Pay peanuts, get monkeys. [emoji1]