Mk1 golf DTA ECU wiring

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by daniboy1_2_3, Jan 16, 2015.

1. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Yea the audi gauge holder which has the metal bracket and the plastic facia plate. That's handy if the Mk2 is the same then. I know you can get just the plastic facia plates but I don't see how they could work as well as the metal bracket which allows you to clamp the gauges in place. Any idea where the Mk2 items are available from? Vw heritage maybe?. I'd imagine it's going to be a few days before anything turns up with the Christmas post.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the mk2 one comes with 2 plates, which sandwich either side of the console then are secured by the standard VDO gauge U-brackets. you could of course glue the panel to the console, or what I did was make my own bracket that clamp either side of the console from behind to hold it all together. This way I was able to sell the other gauge panel which made the cost bearable as they aint cheap :lol:

AwesomeGTI used to sell em back in the day, not sure where they can be foudn now. I've got it in my head it was made by 'new south' but I might be wrong on that one...

I'd try and use what you have though!

3. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

I'm hoping everything will arrive tomorrow so I can trial fit it all and report back with a few pictures. Just out of interest where are these aftermarket facia plates designed to fit?

4. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Forgot to ask again did you mention earlier that on the ignition switch there was an accessory location for ignition power?.

5. rubjonny

the facia I mention is designed to fit a mk2 centre console once you have chopped out the ashtray, the size looks similar but they are a bit of an expensive gamble if they dont fit :lol:

as I say its only a flat plate with 3 holes drilled in so it'll be easy enough to make your own, chop the middle out of the mk1 tray just leaving the side fixings, find summat suitably flat then drill 3 holes in it and bond to the mk1 ashtray shell :thumbup:

on the ignition switch look for pin 'SU' this is live as soon as you insert the key and is the factory pin VW used for stereo accessory live on those with an electric roof or seatbelt/lights on warning systems plus very late runout MK2s

6. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Well I managed to get a facia plate that fits the dash pretty well but will put a couple of drops of glue on it just to be sure.
    My current dilemma is trying to figure out what wheel speed sensor I can use with the DTA for launch control. The wiring diagram states a hall effect sensor is required on an undriven wheel and this then gives the ECU a signal. It's shows 5V feed, a sensor ground and a signal wire. I ordered an original style ABS sensor but this only has two pins ground and signal I'm guessing. I'm pretty sure this is just a VR sensor as opposed to a hall sensor. Can anyone recommend a sensor that will work and fit into my G60 stub axle?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  7. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Spoke to DTA themselves earlier who recommended this for use with my original abs sensor;

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/R45-Vauxhal...-GM-09185826-Siemens-EHS-Brazil-/221914517720

I believe it converts the analogue signal into a digital waveform that the ECU can read. Looking at picture 7 on the advert it shows 5 pins.

1 - In 1
    2 - In 2
    3 - 15
    4 - 31
    5 - OUT

Would I be right in thinking the output from my abs sensor would go to IN 1 and IN 2, I'd have 12V and earth going to 15 and 31 and then I'd feed my DTA ecu with the out?.

8. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

9. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Excellent thanks once again. Still chipping away at this slowly when I can. Can you get those modules new or is it just second hand now?.
    I was thinking about the traction control set up. I have a lsd fitted and wondered how that would work alongside traction control. Would they work together or interfere with one another?. I'm guessing any slip that the diff can't handle would be then dealt with by the traction control so they would work together.
    I don't think I'll be utilising the TC just yet though as I'd need to get new hubs to allow me to fit the ABS sensors. I take it I'd need another 2 of those modules to work with each front wheel sensor as well then?.

10. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

No worries.
    I'm sure you can get them new, I've not tried yet.
    TC works with an LSD. The LSD should give you less one sided wheel spin.
    The TC doesn't know or care about that. It simply looks for the slip on the driven wheel, or both driven wheels if you fit both driven wheel speed sensors to yours.

11. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Sounds like a worthwhile feature as the biggest problem with having all this power will be traction I'm sure. I'd imagine it takes quite a bit of setting up and fine tuning.
    I'll probably invest in these when I eventually get around to installing the TC;

https://www.bolt-action.nl/product/vw-mk1-abs-hubs-and-sensor-adapters/

Although the more knowledgeable people out there may know of a set of hubs that will work in this instance from another car.

12. rubjonny

thats the only bolt on option I know of, unless you go to mk2 bearing carriers but you'll need spacers for the steering arms to pull the geometry back to where it should be. Does make big brake upgrades much cheaper though

13. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Well this car is still not finished, in primer now but all stopped again whilst I save to get it in colour. I've been thinking of getting hold of some clocks out of a mk2 golf 16v gti. Been looking and it seems there are ce1 and ce2 variants. Does it matter which I go for?

skydivebaz likes this.
  14. rubjonny

not particularly as you'll have to sp[lice wiring either way. though if you got yourself a scirocco mk2 dash loom the ce1 mk2 clocks will plug straight in :)

15. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

MK2 twin plug clocks are easier to work with.
    MK2 single plug from a Central Electric 2 vehicle can also be made to work with quite a bit of wiring alterations.

16. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Thanks. I'm after the clocks from a gti that go to 160. Do you know what type they are and how much work would be involved? Thanks.

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

160 clocks are usually from a 16v

18. rubjonny

in either case you would have to modify the mk1 clock brackets to accept the mk2 clocks, its obvious when you offer it up. then you have to find a mk2 dash/clock loom matched to the set you have and cut the plugs off, then solder them to the old MK1 loom. The only real difference wiring wise apart from the plugs themselves is that the CE2 clocks have 2 earths rather than 1, and the level sensor is wired straight to the clocks rather than thru the 42/43 relay as in the CE1 cluster. Oh and the MFA stalk plug hangs right off the CE1 clock plug, so if you wanted the MFA that side of things is a bit easier. Just note you need late cabrio or early mk2 stalk with the 1/2 switch on if you want it to plug straight in. The later CE1 mk2 stalks will fit as well, but note they sit closer to the steering wheel

for the CE2 clocks you can use my fusebox faq:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?219775

MK2 CE1 clock pinout:
    T7 - white plug, short side:
    1 - blu/wht - A/28 (main beam warning light)
    2 - wht/red - spade plug (outside temp)
    3 - wht - mfa stalk pin 4 (mode select)
    4 - wht/brn - spade plug (outside temp)
    5 - pur/blk - B/3 (fuel level)
    6 - gry/blu - light switch 58b (dash illumination)
    7 - blu/red - A/17 (indicator warning light)

T7a - black plug, long side:
    2 - blk/wht - mfa stalk pin 2 (memory select)
    3 - blu/grn - B/6 (glow plug)
    4 - yel - B/15 (high oil pressure switch)
    5 - blu - A/16 (battery warning light)

T7b - white plug, long side:
    1 - wht/grn - ? (upshift solenoid valve)
    2 - blk/grn - spade plug (oil temp)
    3 - red - B/12 (permanent live)
    4 - red/blk - B/19 (rev counter)
    5 - brn - to earth claw, or head (earth)
    6 - yel/red - B/7 (coolant temp)
    7 - blu/yel - A/3 (upshift light)

T7c - black plug, short side:
    1 - red/wht - mfa stalk pin 3 (memory reset)
    2 - wht/yel - spade plug (speed sensor output)
    \ - blu/wht - T2b/B (ECU, US models only)
    4 - blu/blk - A/4 (low oil pressure switch)
    7 - blk - ignition switch pin 15 (ignition live)

MK1 clock pinout:
    T14 - CE1
    1 - blu/gry - Light switch pin 58b (dash lighting)
    2 - brn - Earth
    3 - pur/blk - Fusebox pin B/3 (fuel level sender)
    4 - blu/yel - Fusebox pin B/7 (coolant temp sensor)
    5 - red/blk - Fusebox pin B/19 (rev counter)
    6 - red - Fusebox pin B/12 (permanent live)
    7 - blu/wht - Fusebox pin A/28 (high beam warning)
    8 - red/wht - MFA switch mode button
    9 - blu/blk - Fusebox pin A/4 (high oil pressure warning switch)
    10- brn/red - Fusebox pin B/6? (glow plug?)
    11- yel - Spade to engine loom behind fusebox on early, Fusebox pin B/15 late (low oil pressure warning warning switch)
    12- blu - Fusebox pin A/16 (alternator warning light)
    13- blu/red - Fusebox pin A/17 (indicator warning lamp)
    14- blk - Ignition switch pin 15 (ignition live feed)

T6
    1 - wht/blu - outside air temp sensor
    2 - wht/red - outside air temp sensor
    3 - grn/blk - Fusebox pin B/15 on early models, spade to engine loom behind fusebox on late models (oil temp sensor)
    4 - blk/yel - Fusebox pin A/3 (Gearshift control relay pin 3/L)
    5 - wht/grn - Fusebox pin B/18 (Gearshift control relay pin 5/G)
    6 - wht/yel - VSS output

T2b (only on late cabrio cluster)
    blk/wht - MFA switch memory button
    red/wht - MFA switch reset button

also this picture covers ce1 -> mk1 wiring nicely:
    http://vwtech.no-ip.info/images/golf/mk2_dials_to_mk1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  19. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Excellent thanks. I'm just looking and the prices of these clocks seems high at the moment. Can I retain my original mk1 gti stalks to use with this conversion then.
    On a different note I was reading a thread on retro rides, someone had a voltage regulater stop working which led to their ecu getting fried. That got me thinking should I do something to protect my ecu from this happening.

20. rubjonny

you can use the original gti stalks no problem, it just means you cant switch between mode 1 & 2 if you end up with later mk2 cluster set. if you can find a really early set then they come with the 1/2 button on the front of the clocks same as the mk1 GTI cluster do. the alternative is hide a wee rocker switch somewhere to switch between 1 and 2

as for your other point cant help there with the DTA ECU, sparrow should be able to give some input though :thumbup:

edit: oh and in case you didnt know the mk2 scirocco uses the same cluster as the pre-90 mk2 golf