mk2 roll cage (fitting page 5)

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by GVK, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Tim8v

Tim8v Forum Member

sorry old photo, will post one up of the harness installed when i can find one. harness loops over them perfectly and the angle is virtually horizontal. :thumbup:

2. jamesa Forum Junkie

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

ahh but by routing the harnesses over the stresses are less on the cage, as the load is the shared by the oe mounts and the cage, this creates an effective upper anchorage in line with the seat back holes.... the same as the upper anchorage on a normal 3 point belt...

then in a frontal impact instead of all the load being passed into the cage and trying to pull the cage from its mountings, the load trys to crush the bar down wards into the triangle, and then tries to crush the rest of the cage, if it fails you will go forward, but the same would happen if it failed when the harnesses are just looped round, and when they are just looped all that stops you flying forward is the welds which are placed in sheer then and could tear if not good enough, or the bold / welds holding the cage in.

4. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

pic of mine, its not fitted yet just strapped in place but you get the gist

[​IMG]

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

Interesting points but I have concerns over how the harness could be being used for applications outwith it`s design / intent ?

Thanks for the picture.

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Im still tempted by my original idea.. the harnesses looped around the cage, and then a second strap in the middle looped around the cage and down to the rear seat belt mount, that way should the rear mounts start to give in a impact the rear belt mounts will come into play and take some of the load via the straps. they will also act to stop the harnesses sliding along the bar in use.

7. jamesa Forum Junkie

Mock it up and see how it `feels`...

Not attaching the cage to the `B` pillar is my concern for overall rigidity / security.

Good luck with it ....