mk2 roll cage (fitting page 5)

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by GVK, Dec 29, 2005.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

thats me idea sorted then [:D]:clap:

2. Gentlefoot Forum Member

Gary - Try Ju. He fitted my safety devices one and he's got an OMP one he fitted to the Pug. email him at info@balancemotorsport.co.uk

If you want to fit it yourself I'm sure he'll get you the best price. He's got Sparco and OMP ones on the website.

I'm sure he'll be able to sort you out mate.

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Finally got something sorted :p

Been in contact with Julian from Balance motorsport this week who has been trying to get Safety Devices whipped into shape and actually sell their product :lol:

What I really wanted was a SD 6 point cage with optional X diag and harness bar. Julian's had a load of grief trying to get it sorted for me and SD are just not playing ball with timescales on something that isn't 'the norm' - you would expect a reformed company would bend over backwards to get business, doesn't seem the case [xx(]. Could be anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months..

So, ended up with a standard full 6 point cage with single fixed diagonal and door bars (fits sunroof equipped mk2) which is already made and going to be shipped from Belgium hopefully within 7 working days.

4. altern8 Forum Junkie

is that the standard sd setup what did u pay in the end [:$]

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

minter, about time too!!

I'm going to make my own, not been happy with either the quality or the price of any cages I've ever seen for sale.

6. GVK

More than an OMP/Sparco cage that will both modding to fit a car with sunroof sadly [:^(] (566)

http://www.safetydevices.com/images/products/rollcages/step2 _example-of-6-point-bo.gif

I suppose I could get the extra bits as in this pic (x diag and harness bar) added to it by someone like Andy Waters, but for now it'll be fitted as it is. :)

[​IMG]
    Edited by: GVK

7. altern8 Forum Junkie

that looks ideal should make a nice differnce to the handleing and the added saftey to your life [:D]

8. Polog4tracer Forum Member

You can always take the sunroof mechanism out if you dont need to use it Gary and bolt in the sunroof (if a slide one?), or get the cage lowered about 1 1/2" if I remember correctly.

Eitherway very nice cage, will look good if you add those extra bars. Gives me idea with those extra ones on the X Diagonal. :thumbup:

9. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Sounds all to similar about cages and sunroofs, I am after one for the Polo, and Wiechers want crazy money for one, so I was thinking of getting an OMP one and getting my fiancee's dad who is a welder to shorten the legs and reweld on the mounts, so the cage will clear the sunroof, I'd rather not have to bolt the sunroof up as it is nice occasionaly use it.

Anyone see any problems in modyfing the cage this way?

Alan

10. Motorbass Forum Member

are caged down in wiltshire still going? they were at autosport in 04?

11. Polog4tracer Forum Member

For road use, its fine. My friend had the same done on his G40 so he could have a working sunroof.

12. Polog4tracer Forum Member

Yes they are still going, they did the front hoop on Richard Tweedles Pink/carbon MK2 Golf and currently doing a full cage for my friends racer.

13. barny Forum Member

Mine was shorted, re-welded by a professional certified welder with a 6.5k tig welder. :)

14. GVK

Paul, no need with the SD cage I'm getting it fits in with the factory roof.

It's just that the cheaper option is the OMP/Sparco cages that are 300ish are only for a non sunroof shell.

15. iguana Forum Member

Not yours anymore ;)

The welding certainly looks very professional, but I think for ultimate cage strength if shortening & re-welding a cage it should be sleeved, (don't think either way will be accepted by FIA for motorsport tho?) not that im bothering myself but thats cos im a cheapskate & the cost of having harness bars in has wiped out the cage fund! [:^(]

16. GVK

And drill bits :lol: :p

17. iguana Forum Member

[:^(] indeed!

18. iguana Forum Member

Think yours may be just a tad easier to fit tho G!

Mine is really dragging on, 2nd hand cages may be the right price, but by jingo its taken some man hours to fit it, well inept lizard hours anyway! :lol:

19. GVK

I hope so, I've roped Dan from work in to help me, his welding is 10000000 times better than mine, hopefully with a Sat afternoon and Sunday on it locked in the garage it should be all done . When it arrives that is. :lol:

Pic from SteveR's roll cage pic trail page

[​IMG]

20. fthaimike Forum Addict

nice one gary :clap:.....dont forget plenty of in-progress pics for us junkies :lol: