Mk3.5 cabrio > agu 1.8 turbo conversion

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Alanw., Oct 9, 2016.

1. Alanw. Forum Member

Hi people , after some advice please . I recently brought a 3.5 cabrio after being under intense pressure off my 4yr old daughter wanting a beach car ( a car with no roof ) anyway , such car was found , but with coliovers , alloys etc etc . After driving around in it for around 3 months I can't cope anymore with how sluggish it is ( 2.0 8v ) so Friday night on a whim I brought an agu engine with stage 1 remap ????
    After scrolling the web regarding the transplant I'm a little confused as to what parts I need from other cars ?? Mk3 16v subframe ?? Shafts ? I brought the agu with box , loom , shafts etc . I've managed to source William Skelton to do the wiring and uncoding the ecu . I just want every part ready and waiting for the weekend I want to install the agu . Any advice is gratefully received ,
    Many thanks
    Alan

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

for a mk3 chassis car what you need is mk3 or seat abf or tdi front and rear brackets. your driveshafts are fine but you may have to swap the flanges on the mk4 gearbox for 100mm versions assumign you're going with the 02j swap.

you'll need a mk3 clutch and slave cylinder plus pipe, check your brake reservoir see fi it has the nipple for the hydo clutch take off. if it does snip the end to open it and run the pipe to the clutch master. if not you'll need to change the tank as well.

for gear linkages mk3 abf, tdi and vr6 would all swap on obviously, but you may want to go with the later 02j setup as it feels a bit better. plenty threads about on how to make the mk4 setup fit the mk3 shell I expect, or just offer it up and decide the easiest option for you. If you can find the 02J gearstick housing off a MK3 SEAT Ibiza 20v it will bolt straight on though, you can also find it on TDI 6n polo plus polo classic and 1.6 16v & TDI lupo

3. Alanw. Forum Member

Many thanks for the reply mate , I brought the engine as a conversion job , so I've got the gear-lever and cables etc . It came with the box still attached so I'm assuming it's an 02j ?

4. rubjonny

if its a mk4 box yeah its 02j, theres early and late version of the tower and stick, ideally you want the late version as early is basically the same as 02a and so not much of an upgrade from mk3 parts (so may as well fit all mk3 stuff for direct fit to the car!)

5. Alanw. Forum Member

I'm kinda clueless on what sort of engine bay the 3.5 cab has then ? Is it a mk3 ? Not really clued up on VW's yet , only cars I've ever really owned is Peugeot or Mitsubishi

6. rubjonny

its based from the mk3 golf, so mk3 running gear is all straight fit its just the 3.5 is facelifted with some mk4 golf style bits, so headlights, dash is a bit different, wing mirrors etc :)

7. mickey marrows Forum Member

Would it not be easier to keep using all the existing 02a gearbox etc thats already in the car.. John?

8. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

Mk3.5 cab 2.0 might still have the 020? I've been looking at a fair few of the 1.6 variety as potential donors (and they definitely do still have 020) and have noticed that the gearbox codes show both 1.6/2.0 engines as compatible.

9. rubjonny

yeah the 3.5 cab will be running an 020 rod shift box thats the trouble, it will all bolt to a 20v engine but they dont tend to last with all that power! if it had an 02a then it woudl be a dead easy swap for an 02j as they're pretty much the same on the outside just the shifter tower that differs on the mk4 cars

10. Alanw. Forum Member

Again many thanks for the replies.....are the gearboxes coded anywhere ?

11. mickey marrows Forum Member

Yes. If its an 020 its on the bottom of the bellhousing, if its 02A its on top of the casing next to the joint with the bell housing.

If you simply want to ascertain what type of gearbox you have then 020 has a solid rod gear linkage and a 02A has a pair of morse cables.

I didn't know some 2.0 mk3.5 had 020 boxes, I thought it was only the 1.6 that did. I know when we put a 20v in a friends Mk3.5 cab it had a 02A

12. rubjonny

ETKA recons the only mk3.5 cabs with the 02a are the TDI ones, but it could be wrong!

13. Alanw. Forum Member

Just looked and going by what you've said it's a 020 . Also found a mk3 Gti 16v at my local breakers , am I needing all the engine mounts off of it ?

14. rubjonny

grab all 3 brackets off it, front, rear and box. you dont need the mounts themselves it will all drop onto your old ones though I'd buy new ones all round if it was me anyway or at the very least one for the rear as thats the most difficult to change with the engine already fitted :lol:

grab the entire hydro clutch system, dont worry if you brake the plastic clip on the clutch master to the pedal they are cheap to buy from vw or ebay etc and tricky to split without damage.

you could grab all the gearstick, cables and tower off the gearbox if you weanted a direct swap to the cab, but as I say I'd go for the late 02j setup if possible. you were lucky enough to find a mk3 abf, you never know you might find a polo saloon/estate tdi as well :lol:

15. rubjonny

oh and if you have 256mm brakes you can use the calipers and carriers from a pre-96 mk3 gti, 16v or vr6 to upgrade to 280mm 4 stud setup :thumbup:

16. Alanw. Forum Member

Where will I find the box code for the 02j ? The box came with the engine attached from a mk4 , I would attach a pic if I knew how haha . Looking at the engine and box head on the box has got a massive lever on top like a dog leg . the gear shifter and cables etc all come with it , got a nice wooden effect gearnob included lol . To run all the stuff I have then I need the clutch system off a mk3 16v . I had a nose at my brake servo before , looking at it head on , the right hand side of the brake fluid res has got a plastic pipe coming off that is blocked off with like a rubber tip if you get what I mean , is this what I have to tap into for the hydro clutch ?

17. mickey marrows Forum Member

The dog leg is a counterwieght for the shifter and yes the blanked off pipe is for the clutch master cylinder :thumbup:

So yes you just need the clutch pedal mech off a mk3, but I think you said you'd found a mk3 GTI in a breakers, that will yield the pedal assembly you need

18. rubjonny

Yarp unblock the hose on the reservoir and the clutch master pipe pops on :) you'll want the MK3 16v flywheel as well, and a new sachs VR6 clutch kit should do you fine for your chosen power/torque figures.

All you need off the mk3 16v clutch side is the clutch cylinders and pipework, it'll all fit right onto your pedal box as VW used the same one for them all which is handy. As I say though plan for having to buy a new pedal clip for your clutch master, they are tricky to get off without breaking. cheapy cheap tho and readily available

I've added a piccy of the gearbox code location in this thread, its a bit further down in the 02A/J section :)
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?115595

19. Alanw. Forum Member

What about the drivers side mount that's on my 8v now ? Do I need a replacement for that ?

20. Alanw. Forum Member

Managed to get the flywheel , rear mount bracket and front bracket off of that golf in the breakers, everything else I needed has been butchered or taken ????