Mk3.5 cabrio > agu 1.8 turbo conversion

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Alanw., Oct 9, 2016.

1. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Photobucket with img

2. Alanw. Forum Member

3. Alanw. Forum Member

Wow !!! It worked !!! Try another ....
    [​IMG]

4. Alanw. Forum Member

Ive painted the bay myself , the car will be going the same colour at some point

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

riught PC back up:
    N 10103501 - hexagon bolt, M10X160 - 5.10+VAT
    N 90572901 - double stud with hexagon drive, M10X160/M8X15 - 4.63+VAT
    N 10241603 -> N 10241605 - hex collared bolt, M10X45 - 2.75+VAT

if you wanted to get some generic bolts from local fastener supplies place the bolts have a washer built into the head, you could just buy those separate. I assume they're 10.9 tensile but dont have a set to hand to look at. The reason for the stud head type bolt is to hold up the power steering line BTW

6. Alanw. Forum Member

Cheers john , got the starter fitted last night , ended up chopping the nuts off the mount and spot welded some new nuts so I could use the mk4 bolts . Had a thought though , I'm using an abf flywheel / g60 combo , am I ok in using the mk4 02j starter ? It's gone on fine , just had a sickly thought after fitting that I might need an abf one

7. rubjonny

8. Alanw. Forum Member

Next problem ???? Driveshafts , one thing I forgot to sort before putting the engine in ! ???? Had a test around with them last night , the mk4 shafts won't fit into the hub , they're too big , had a look at the 02a box and I can't see how too take the flanges off ? Looking over the start of this thread Johny you say about 100mm flanges ? If I was to use these would the 02a shafts work ?
    Many thanks
    Alan

9. Alanw. Forum Member

Just having another look on the web it does seem I need the 100mm flanges , what car do they originally come off ? My local breakers has a lot of mk4's in , agu , tdi etc

10. rubjonny

yes you use your old driveshafts with lower power mk4 or later mk3 02a 100mm bolt in flanges. your old box was an 020 so those will be no good for you, look for the lower power diesel mk4, also pwerhaps the 2.0 8v? check em all basically. Get some tape/string/etc and wrap it round your driveshaft inner cv and mark it for circumference. then take that with you for your scrappy raid :)

11. Alanw. Forum Member

Many thanks again john , looks like I'm going to be busy at the scrap yard this weekend . I've finally had my loom back , managed to feed it back through the bulkhead ( what an **** of a job ! ) started to plug some parts back in , one thing that has confused me , I've got one purple-white wire coming from the new loom but 2 purple-white wires inside the car ? The loom wire fits into both ? Which one is it ?!?

12. rubjonny

sounds like the mpg signal wire, if so it will go to the wire hanging off the bottom of the clocks :)

13. Alanw. Forum Member

Managed to get to the scrapyard yesterday but it wasn't really successful ..all the golfs with what I wanted were buried under other cars , it was chucking it down with snow and tbh I wasn't in the mood ! On the way home I stopped at a friends unit , just so happened that he had a mk4 gt tdi pd150 in that he was using for the 6speed box for his caddy . The front brakes are 288mm in size , bigger than mine . He let me have the calipers and discs for nothing before the car got crushed . After having a mooch online it seems the mk3 vr6 was 288mm 4stud fitment ? Soooooooo is it possible to use the calipers and then vr6 discs ?

14. Alanw. Forum Member

Don't suppose you know the vw part number for the 100mm flanges johnny ?
    Found some fairly cheap , they are just missing the centre hex bolts. Wanted to see how much the bolts are from vw

15. rubjonny

the flanges are 02A409355B, bolts 097409359 at 3.89+VAT each. the MK4 02J bolts should work fine though :)

MK3 VR6 are all 5 stud, those calipers wont be a direct fit. as you say the MK4 288 calipers and carriers are the same as the mk3 288mm setup so would bolt on a 5 stud car no problem. You can get them on 4 stud setup too, couple ways around it heres a method using modified discs:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.p...th-280-discs&p=2325592&viewfull=1#post2325592

16. Alanw. Forum Member

So today was a good day and crap day
    I managed to get some flanges for a bargain price of 15 the pair !!
    Then I attempted to get some more of the loom wired in. The other day john I asked about the purple/white wire, I said there was 2 on the new loom that's been made.
    I plugged it into the one you said mpg from the clocks , for some reason the person that has done the loom has tapped in another wire , same colour, same connector to it ? You can see it dangling down on the left in this picture ...you can also see the wires I'm unsure of where to go

[​IMG]

Next one is what's this about ?!! Wires with no plugs which go inside the engine bay somewhere ?? I've tried contacting the lad that did it for me but shock I'm getting no reply !!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  17. rubjonny

purple/white looks like its for somethign else rather than mpg, I just had a thought though on late mk3 the mpg signal to the clocks is in a 3 pin plug along with the indicators so have a look for that. its black plug, with purple/white, green/black and white/black thats where the ecu mpg signal wire needs to go

blue/white is speed signal, that pops into the blue jumper block above the fusebox or under the knee bar somewhere

black/yellow is ignition live, probably for your fan module as above goes to the yellow jumper block

brown/yellow is door open signal, goes to the white jumper block :)

the fat brown is the main fusebox earth, that goes to Z/2 on fusebox

the black and brown pair look to be for heated washer jets, the green/red and brown/blue is for your washer pump

18. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Hi, Alan,

If the white socket with what looks like plain White wire requires identifying, it's most likely a tap from the rear screen switch to supply the external mirror heating grids

19. Alanw. Forum Member

Ok cool cheers dougie ! Had an eventful day today ! Got loads done , mainly because I walked out of my job haha and had the time to do it ....
    More loom questions though , where the hell does this lot go ...

[​IMG]

Chuffed with what I got done , should hopefully be going to my mates unit next Friday to have the exhaust made up and intercooler pipework

[​IMG]

20. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Coil pack plugs