The ROLLCAGE thread

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by PhatVR6, Jan 30, 2007.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, undertstand. Seeing the car - and then yourself a few hours later, I still ponder the whole shunt.

Yep, funnily enough the V5 came though this morning! Plan to use it for trackdays generally. I'll put the 16V motor in it, may sprint it one day.

Nice Mk1 cage install going on here:

http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115410

2. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Dont think there are many Corrado owners on here let alone any that want to cage it but a useful bit of info is that the MK2 full cage can be adapted to fit them. I was quoted silly cash to build a cage for the corrado so seen as I already had a full MK2 cage I thought Id try and fit it. By lowering it and tipping it forwards it fits like it was made for the car, the door bars sit a little low but if you have the know how to fit it then you should be able to alter the door bars

MK2 cage I fitted in the C

[​IMG]

3. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

Yeah, P&P actually offered me freew fitting last year. so they could use my car to create all the models and templates they need in case anyone lese wanted one for a Corrado. It's been a year and they haven't had anyone else ask abotu a Corrado....so the free fitting offer was retracted as it's now classed a total one off bespoke cage. beauty being, I get exactly what I want.

4. Dub20vt Forum Member

i've been in contact with custom cages about a cage for my mk2, these are the images they sent me of the kit they offer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

any opinions?

i'm not too sure about the front triangulation sitting on top of the turret but then i can easily change that by shortening the diagonal that joins to it to keep it more horizontal rather than pointing uphill.

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's an interesting Mk2 - one that I've not heard about. Anyone?

CC cages are well reputed to be good. The only issue is the one Ian C mentioned of them being CDS (generally) to avoid the issue of T45certification. There's a lot of tube been added to modern cages (last 3-4 yrs) which makes them heavier.

Funnily enough, I got some pics through of another Mk2 done more recently, which now has the extra bar down from the top of the A-pillar to the floor - it's a straight bar.

I've spoken to CC before about the tube on the top of the inner wing, and the CC belief is that where inherent strength is lacking in the inner wing area, they'll brace it with the tube on the top. They do the same with the Mk1.

Conversely I've showed CC pics of BMW tourers off the site I linked in earlier in this thread, and the inner wing strength in their case allows them to move the tube across to the inner edge of the turret, since the inner wing area is strong enough.

Obviously without jigs to twist and thump shells with, who are we to argue? (basically!)

Edit: ah, I see there's a cross tube on the inner wing aswell here...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  6. Dub20vt Forum Member

thanks for the information chris.

that cage is made from cds. it might be a bit heavy but then i'm hoping the 20v will make up for that and the trade off from additional weight Vs better handling will be worth it.

i was pleasantly supprised at the cost tbh... roughly 530 + VAT. personally thought a weld in multi point would be more.

7. vrbanana Forum Junkie

one of the seat forum

[​IMG]

8. barny Forum Member

How do they weld all the way round some of those tubes, for instance in the turret pics ? Or is the visible area strong enough ? [:$]

9. IanCarvell Forum Member

All of the vento challenge cars were done with the tube on top of the turret like that.

10. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

um i'm there tbh...wonder what fitting would cost on top of that. I hate grinders and welders...not had enough practice for a start!:lol:

11. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Chris, that's the mk2 that Trevor Reeves raced at one of the Heritage touring car races last year (Brands?), I've posted pics of it at Snett before.

It used to have a SD bolt in the same as mine.

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, cheers Gary. That makes sense now. Richard's the owner's name IIRC.

(I mean.... we can't just have any old Tom, Dick or Harry caging up Mk2s without us knowing about it :lol:)

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Pics of said car:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've clarified the extra bars from the A pillar were requested by the owner, along with a cross brace in the roof. He also had it seam welded while it was there. Nice [:D]

14. prof Forum Addict

those multi point cages seem to be more about creating a seperate spaceframe that makes the shell somewhat redundant than just providing impact/roll protection.

Paul are you planning to lose the back seat area from the corrado then?

15. RobT

RobT Forum Junkie

most recent wrc cars are really spaceframes with panels bolted to them

16. KevHl Forum Member

http://www.seatcupra.net/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1514

Not a MKII I'm afraid, but there's a few of the weld in that Custom Cages did in my old Ibiza... and I think in that gallery there are a couple of a 6point bolt in my even older ibiza 8v. Very good guys to deal with. I've been chatting to Caged (therollcagepeople.com)about doing one for my westfield though... so far they've been great to deal with!

17. jamesa Forum Junkie

Interesting point Martin, in my case the Mk1 was fitted with a bolt in SD rear cage complete with certificate. The weld in diagonal was then cut out and repositioned to allow a brace / harness bar between the arches. Being that I wanted the front cage to go through the dashboard it was custom made and mated to the SD rear. The door bars were also custom made.

The firm that did this said that they were authorised (by whom ?) for such work, the certificate is still in place and I`ve never had any eligibility issues.

18. IanCarvell Forum Member

If you buy a kit there is a disclaimer in there that the welding must me of an appropriate standard.

If it is professionally fitted, it is assumed the welder knows what they are doing....they are all qualified people.

19. jamesa Forum Junkie

The company that I used were recommended by a Motorsport parts vendor and were involved in the professional preparation & running of several cars for racing. Whilst I don`t have any proof of competency I don`t have any concerns over their work.

20. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

the mk1 is paying a visit to the roll centre soon will post some pics when its done