The ROLLCAGE thread

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by PhatVR6, Jan 30, 2007.

1. stephcasscar Paid Member Paid Member

2. Polo Classic Forum Member

Anyone know the difference between the Cromo 4 that Wiechers use, and T45? Is it the same thing?

I have a 6 point Wiechers cage for my Polo (Chromo 4 45 x 1,5 / 41,3 x 1,5) and it only weighs around 5 kg more than my mates gay Alloy cage from Wichers. Mine has slightly more braces and bars too. He has got this type
    [​IMG]
    and I have this
    [​IMG]

3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

VW cup car
    [​IMG]

4. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

5. Amit Forum Member

why are there no roll cage companys down south :(

I want a cage made for my caddy but I am based in west london.

Amit

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Andy Robinson Race Cars - Basingstoke
    Custom Cages - Daventy
    Rollcentre - Cambridge
    Safety Devices - Soham

7. iguana Forum Member

Caged, Westbury, Wilts.

& Another company I discovered when I delivered a car (GT3) to, for cageing late last yr, Reading based, can't remember the contact details at the mo, 99% Porsches, prices on par with Caged/Robinson.

Can try & dig out if interested.

Robinson are expensive but very top notch.

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

LOL top 'notch' , no pun intended Lizard? :lol:

9. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

[​IMG]

vw cup beetle recently stipped down and being rebuilt, sorry about the quality taken on my camera phone

10. altern8 Forum Junkie

11. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

lol, J-tech automotve has other experiences with CC, where he was fitting a full international cage to a Subaru, and rang up to ask the very same question, "how do you weld round some of those tubes"... Custom cages response was "We normally blob a big bit in as far as we can so the Scrutaneer cant get his fingers in"!..... At which pint J-techs response was - Oook, we'll do it the right way then!

12. Amit Forum Member

Whats the deal with the polished alloy cages? Do they offer any protection or are they just for show?

I just want a cage for show and to add some stiffness to the shell.

What are the nice polished cages made of? stainless or ally?

Amit

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

To be fair, this thread's about proper cages I'm afraid.

Show stuff can be got elsewhere. Alloy cages haven't been used in motorsport since being banned in the '80s.

Edit: and show cages offer very questionable shell stiffness, if any - and are rarely mounted particularly solidly either. Personally I wouldn't want to tip over a car with a show cage in it (not that I want to tip over cars....)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2007
  14. gofasterpinch Forum Member

surely show cages arent the right spec of tube and would just collapse?

15. IanCarvell Forum Member

I dont know where you got that story from, I worked there for a year and we actually cut a hole in the floor and drop the main hoop down through the floor to weld around the top.

I guess Roger may have said that if you were asking a load of silly questions, he is quite a busy man.

You can usually guage how good a company is by the amount of business they do....lets campare how many Custom Cages cars are on the VW Cup grid vs J-tech....I would say @14 Custom Cages cars but can't think of any J tech ones.

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

CC have certainly got a huge prescence. Their VAG credentials stretch back to the Mk3 Golf kitcars I recall, and they may have done Seat Ibiza kitcars. They certainly did the Seat Super Six cars, and RobT's car when Seat had it, but they do loads and loads beyond this.

When infinity was installing his Mk1 CC cage, which he will come to on this thread here in the next week or so, I recall the advice, from CC, was about tipping forward part of the cage to seam round certain sections - G, can you clarify?

That ended up leaving one joint that was hard to get the welder around, and ideally it needs someone with oxy-acetelene to complete a very small section, around the screen rail IIRC.

Interesting to read today that CC have done been advising/done the cage on the new aluminium bodied Wood-Scott Jaguar GT racer:

[​IMG]

Similar issues as Prodrive have with their Aston, whereby it all has to be bolted in, since the steel tube / aluminium body don't mix

17. H5LRW Forum Member

The chap who worked on the cage design on the Prodrive Aston and Ferrari built the suspension on our latest superstox.

18. vwaudi Forum Member

I was looking the other week at a polo S1600 I rally car. The shell prep was done by VWM but the cage was manufacured by CC.

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This type?

[​IMG]

There was a car and a spare shell around in the UK 3-4 years ago. Was it the same?

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Mk3 ex-Alister McRae kitcar shell, cage 99% certain to be Custom Cages (since they were round the corner from SBG)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only one inner diagonal in those days, from top of B-post to opposite B - unbelievable to think, really.