The ROLLCAGE thread

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by PhatVR6, Jan 30, 2007.

1. fthaimike Forum Addict

Would'nt a big side impact cause the centre bendy bit to go up/down instead of through the centre tunnel that would instead keep the seat level?

2. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Old post I know, but this cage is still available from SD and for the basic cage it's not that expensive. Rear diagonal X, harness bar and tunnel brace do bump up the price though.

3. gofasterpinch Forum Member

minimum order of 3 cages from SD though for a polo cage.

4. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

To be honest, I`m surprised you didn`t tie into the front struts, seeing as you`ve added so many bars, wouldn`t that have been a worthwhile addition [:s]

5. JaySteed606

JaySteed606 Forum Member

Could anyone give me any ideas about what this sticker means. I found it on my rollcage which is a 6 point alloy cage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The RAC sticker is an old RACMSA (now MSA) Advertising permit.

The officials/competitors stick them wherever in the car, and the cage is an easy place to put that.

Being an alloy cage, it's fairly old, pre ~ 1990, as they were since outlawed in motorsport.

7. Mikey C Forum Member

I have been pondering cages and material recently, and have decided that in many cases (and mine) CDS is better in more ways than most would assume.

For a given cage, that has the same design and tube outside diameter, the CDS one will be stiffer than the thinwall T45 one. They will however both have around the same ultimate strength, and the T45 will be lighter.

So for simpler compromised cage where inevitably some tubes will be in bending, not all of the lengths are straight and some joins aren't at tube ends the CDS is better. In terms of both cost AND shell stiffness, at the cost of some weight.

8. Yoof Forum Member

Few of mine in my Polo:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please excuse the crap painting skills:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Looks neat & professional - your own design, or a bought kit?

10. Yoof Forum Member

Own design, better effort than the one in my Mk1, although I was 18 when I first did that.

Just need to decide what to do regarding harness straps, and then paint it!

11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Looks good, welding's neat enough and the design (if you weren't told) could be straight out of Custom Cages. All the bars intersect exactly right.

12. Nige

I like that :thumbup:

Very similar to what I`ve done (triangulation to the front turrets), but I`ve also added some gussets to the door bars. Your cage is a better one than mine, I have an OMP front hoop that goes infront of the dash, instead of following the A-Pillars and behind the dash like yours which I think is a much better solution. Have you also though about adding some gussets from the cage to the A pillars ?
    [​IMG]

You won`t be able to open your windows with the door closed, I had the same issue :lol:

13. Yoof Forum Member

Yes, I've looked at alot of their designs, and rollcentre racings stuff. In a Polo there's little room for a main hoop X whilst retaining a decent driving position so I missed that out. On my blue car I tied the struts in via a diaganol bar to the dash bar- on this I wanted a stock dash, and to retain the heater...

Glad you think it's Custom Cage quality :) It's cost about 25% of what they'd charge!

14. Yoof Forum Member

Nige- thanks! I put a post up regarding the window winder vs roll cage problem- I wondered if anyone had thought of a decent solution, best so far from that thread is a sunroof handle (not sure if it would be hard to wind up/down though) deffo worth a few quid in a scrappy and some experimentation!

Gussets to the A-pillar I did consider, I'm running a G40 Cup Car suspension set-up so may well add a few tags- I've heard stories of roofs bending with silly spring rates...

For now I've tacked it to the windscreen panel (you can just make it out in the pic) won't add massive amounts of strength, but if it shows signs of cracking after some kerb hopping then it's proof enough for some more gusseting :)

Never been a fan of bent cages around a dash- I think their strength is massively compromised, although not so much if running a door X like yours. I didn't have a problem cutting the dash, goes straight through the speaker holes on the polo, but not like I need them anymore [:D]

15. majic79 Forum Member

I wish I'd tied the front strut tops into the cage - I may yet pull the dash out and add that to it!

Not liking the cage in the golf though - the rear points should mount at a single point - if the plate is compromised, the rear triangulation will fail as well, I also don't like the door bars - there's bugger all side impact protection - either take a single bar all the way across, or put a cross in it, having that arrangement will let the bar fold over into the protected area in the event of a mid level impact (ie, a car t-boning you)

My opinion only, feel free to flame away, but I'd rather have proper triangulation and decent protection

16. Nige

eh ? I don`t know what you are talking about. Have you LOOKED at the photo ?

The door bars have ONE Bar from hip height to ankle height, then 2 shorter pieces making up the cross, that is then gusseted to reduce the chances of the bars coming apart in an impact. It is the same as the Lupo one apart from mine has the extra triangulation pieces to help hold the joint together in a side impact.

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

False alarm I think, but it confused me too :thumbup:

It's this post higher up on page 7 being commented on, since it has non-intersection rear stays & some notably 'different' door bars - none of your pics have the 'rear points' referred to.

18. Nige

Ahhhh !

I understand now, I was obviously confused by his post as it was the next one after mine, didn`t realise he was referring to the one from last year ! I assumed he thought my door bars were made up of 4 short pieces instead of 1 long and 2 short.

No, I don`t like the `door bar` on the other golf either [:s]

19. majic79 Forum Member

Whoops - should have clarified - liking the cage in your Polo NigeP, it looks good - the cage in the golf in post 157 (holy thread resurrection!) was what I don't like!!

20. Nige

OK, I understand now and share your concerns with that one, but mine is a Golf, hence the confusion ;)