UK Kamei Mk1 Golf Replica - Prescott Hillclimb on page 53 !!!!!

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by fthaimike, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

I drove my G40 for about a month with no carpet sound deadening and only a drivers seat when I was chasing the internal water leaks, I was deaf by the time I got to work and my head was ringing, was fukking rapid though :lol:

Alan

2. altern8 Forum Junkie

bet it sounds nice and goes loads better [:D]

3. Carbs4ever Forum Member

The black sound deadner just needs heat (heat gun) and a paint stripper it will litterally fall off with some heat..

The roof is a complete pain - I used as riley said the wire wheel on the grinder - buffed the rough off but then you need petrolly rag and elbow grease to get the glue off... [xx(]

think i said earlier for that lump of black sticky stuff that held the carpet on at the back seats - heat gun and scraper it will lift easily...

She's gonna be light! cool - reminds me of the riley machine! get to it riley :lol:

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Wellpopped out to get thebattery for the 309 & ..................

Feck this thing is loud now on full chat [:$], drove past some lads getting into their car at a junction & seen the driver look into the car so i had to do the right thing...........pull out slowwlly in 1st then loads of revs & wwwhhhhhhhaarrrrpppp wheelspin limiter pop pop pop (seen in the mirror all these heads turn in their softtop) 2nd too much revs wheelspin pop pop pop 3rd gear sh*t slow down [8D].

One good thing mind is when i chuck it in the +E gear the revs drop down (2750-3000 cant remember?) at 70mph & it's quite civilised :thumbup:.

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

Had a bit of luck today (friday) when i tried removing all that stuff from the roof.......

Had trouble scrapping the stuff off & was about to give up but found some Turps so soaked a rag in it & rubbed it into the fluff/glue which knotted up & the big stuff fell off, then after about 10 mins of soaking i tried scrapping it again with the plastic scrapper & it would slowlly peel off just leaving a greasy feeling to the metal so this remaining layer should be much easier to cope with...result :thumbup:.

Also tried it on one of the arches that had the sponge over & it came off easy.

edit: that lump of sticky tar stuff to the side of the sender was cleverlly removed [:D]: i picked a chunk off then let it stick to my thumb thenpressed against the rest & kept pulling it away until he rest followed :lol:.
    Edited by: fthaimike

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

The roof now (only a thin layer of the glue left which i might try the steam cleaner on):

[​IMG]

1st problem of the week was this: (it's the arch that shares the filler pipe & that hole came about after the retaining screw that held the outer plastic arch cover on rotted away & after a lot of scraping that hole was left)

[​IMG]

Anyway after an hour down gareth's he managed to grind off what was left & plated it outside then finished it of with the shultz gun:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then plated from inside with Rust proofer then that rubbery paint stuff (sorry[:$]):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. gary_k Forum Member

Holes like that must be common. I have them in the same place on mine. :lol:I might do something with my MK1 shell soon. I got another KR lump somewhere. [:D]

8. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

aye theyre a bugger for going there [8(]

looks nice and solid round the sunroof though! [:D]

neil.

9. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yeah fair play to the sunroof, i found the sticker for it & it was installed by a place called "sunroof & stripes" in Blackwood South wales by a previous owner & have never had any problems with it or rust........only thing i found is that when the car was re-sprayed it didnt quite stick near the 1st few mm against the plastic, or its from flexing of roof causing a few tiny bits to flake away.

Iv'e noticed the car has a vibration between 70-90 [:$](didn't go further) which im hoping is wheel balancing as the backs are almost slicks [8(].

10. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Good progress good to get the gremlins ironed out!

11. Paul 16v Forum Member

Looks cool, but ditch those seat covers and save a few more lbs [:s]

12. Andy947 Forum Addict

Good stuff for removing the glue residues etc is Panel wipe that bodyshops use before painting. I use it all the time to remove sticky makrs without hurting paint etc :)

13. fthaimike Forum Addict

Paul - they were off the misses so gotta use them for now until i get some buckets ;).

Andy - cheers for that :thumbup:.

Edit: after driving wednesday to & from work i had a small amount of water in my drivers footwell? gotta find out where it's coming from, couldnt see any water coming down from bulkhead? & door looks ok?

14. fthaimike Forum Addict

Right i have weighed what i removed from the car so far:

carpets, rear seatbelts, rear seat, rear panels roof lining & rods, sound proofing footwells, various plastic trim.......

Total weight Loss = 90kgs (6.5 stone) :clap:.

& i still have the spare wheel, jack, centre console, dashboard, door cards & passenger seat to weigh in the future.

15. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

6.5 stone! :clap:

16. fthaimike Forum Addict

removed the bottom half of the dash now & the center console.

did have some perspex to replace the dash surround but had an accident with it so im having to source another piece soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. jonnydiscopants Forum Member

loving that [:D] thats hardcore stripped out. Kinda like im planning with mine over the winter, but im removing all underseal and every nit of extra metal / sound deadening there is. Gonne try and make it the lightest mk1 i can so i have to spend less on tuning the engine. Well thats the theory anyway.

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

Started work on the dash today, iv'e decided on leaving the top half of the dash in for now with the heater as it's still a backup car for now.

This is what im at so far (4hrs later): (when the dash goes i can still use this).

[​IMG]

Got a few other bits to stick in it in the morning & im undecided on cutting a hole where the speedo is incase of light shining on it.

19. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

:clap: keep it up mike,good to see the work coming together! [:D]

neil.

20. Threeeightsix Forum Member

sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetnessss!

This is the only thread I'm really watching on here!!

Keep it up.. Is good inspiration!!! [:D] ;)