ABF - MK2 1990 - MagnaFlow Exhaust.

Discussion in '16-valve' started by blis, Apr 20, 2015.

1. blis Forum Member

Ok, so no more dramas since the immob fault...

Went on the hunt for Number plate lights and demister. Finally found the problem in the Hatch gromet, seems a (brown) ground for lights and the two demister wires were severed. Deminster on this was Black/Grey and the other just black, so I dont know why my looms never match.. but anyways.. Happier now :)

2. blis Forum Member

I finally ran some CLR through my cooling system and gave t multiple flushes until I could no longer smell it. I flushed using the same way I fill, one into the head and a spare hose to radiator. Wasnt sure how I would deal with a closed thermostat, but managed to fill/blow thru and flush enough of it including a short run with all reconnected. Then I drained and flushed for a last time, filled with demineralised water and Techtalloy concentrate.

My temps have dramatically dropped and oil temps are on average 10C down from what they were. Not sure if I cleaned off the calcium (CaCO3) or whether the coolant had an impact or both. We had a 29C day yesterday and it didnt raise the temps by much either.
    I wouldnt recommended CLR as it does say it affects rubber, but considering the chalkyness of the water here, I had to try something!

3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Nice one :thumbup:

4. blis Forum Member

Taking it easy on the mountain

Roadworks, mindful of residents and traffic and it ain't a track... Nice to drive :)
    [video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y0O9LFFYOk[/video]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  5. blis Forum Member

3M 35% Black tint and clean windows: ) BUT.. Now I need a new CGTI sticker!

wetintwindows.jpg

Also went a booked in for a new clutch, brake rotors and CV's (Boots split - my bad)

6. blis Forum Member

Bugger...

I enjoyed third gear and a few moments later the temp light started flashing, oil and water temps were fine if not great @ 90c.

Got home, let it cool and opened coolant reservoir and it was mayonaise. :(

Checked dip stick, oil was clean, checked under the oil cap, clean too.

Took front end off, I wanted to get to the oil cooler, assuming it was the cause.
    Removed reservoir and all the hosing as the mayo ran back down the metal pipe (no heater matrix to concern)
    Removed the oil filter and the oil was clean, I was thinking it was the cooler, maybe not.
    Flushed through side and front flange on the block and was hard to tell if it was contaminated, but coolant seemed clean.

So where ever this mayo came from seems it was high up on the engine...

So that's a head gasket..?

PS: What a mess...:(

7. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Could still be the oil cooler
    Bypass it by joining the two water pipes together
    Run the car and see if oil comes out either of the two water conditions

8. blis Forum Member

Ok, thanks Mushy, I've got to removing the rocker cover and I can go back.

I'll take your advice and remove the oilcooler and check it completely, while I have the front end off I might as well give it a thorough look at. Have been meaning to also wrap the ends of my hoses with self fusing silicon tape to get a little more milage out of them. Lets hope you are right and it's the oil cooler, I think I can get one from a Mk3...
    IMG_4530 (HD).jpg

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  9. MUSHY 16V

I had the same with my old 8v
    The oil cooler had a small leak and oil was getting pumped into the coolant

When a head gasket goes you tend to Mayo in the water or both

So a good chance it's the oil cooler

10. blis Forum Member

Hmmm... better get downstairs then!!

Im also trying to get in touch with GSF to confirm they can ship, going through export department this time.

Ill let ya know how it goes and thanks :)

11. MUSHY 16V

Try bypassing it first to make sure it is that
    I ran mine for a week with it bypassed and a pipe on the cooler to stop the oil leaking out till I got a new one

12. Sirguydo

O dear :(
    Started to do a bit of work on your wanted parts I've got an absolutely mint dash in the warehouse with your name on it :thumbup:
    Do a wanted thread for the parts you need and I'll see what I've got and hopefully others will be able to help as well :thumbup:

Can you do a pressure test on your oil cooler ? Rubber hose gauge and figure out how to hold the pressure with a old tyre valve or the likes ?

13. blis Forum Member

perhaps not the oil cooler.

Sadly there's very little mayo in the cooler housing (OR HOSES) to prove it. I'll get a hose and pressure test it but it's all pointing to the head.

Note: I think Mayo made it to the bottom hose via radiator, but maybe thermostat closed because most of the coolant in the block was clean.

IMG_4539 (HD).jpg

PS: The grunge around cooler ports is just that, grunge, not mayo.

14. blis Forum Member

Thanks Mike, hang on to that dash, right now I have my hands full and oily. This has deferred the heater matrix I was planning on, that will coincide with the dash.. and thanks matey!!

Sirguydo likes this.
  15. blis Forum Member

Its been a long day, sat to tidy up the hoses and think of plan B,C,D and E. Will look into oil cooler tomorrow, didnt have the motivation to get it off. Ill take a good look at cooler tomorrow. If anyone has any tips to offer if it is the head gasket, Im all ears/eyes :)

IMG_4540 (HD).jpg

16. blis Forum Member

Mushy, I removed the Oil Cooler and there was more radiator fluid than mayo. So I bunged up one end, put a hose into the other, stuck it into a bucket of water and hit it with air pressure. No bubbles unfortunately... Been busy watching HGF videos and I guess water pump, timing belt, rocker gaskets, bolts, intake and exhaust gaskets... sssigh...At least I found the engine code and I might be able to get my hands on the gasket kit and bolts locally.

Im going to give the cooler one more going over, just to be sure then work out what to do next.

17. Sirguydo

Bummer [8(] you'll have to try and treat the old girl with a bit more respect until she's all sorted and feeling great lol
    Very frustrating but I'm sure you'll sort it out in relatively short time .

18. blis Forum Member

Mike, she was feeling awesome and has been since the CPS, Knock and electrical issues were sorted.

The real question is whether she's cracked or head gasket has failed. If they crack, do they crack between the valves or surrounding the cylinder?
    Ill get around the back to exhaust manifold and see what I can find. Also found a supplier of VRS kit including valve cover for ABF by ELRING, so will call them Monday.

IMG_4548 (HD).jpg IMG_4542 (HD).jpg IMG_4544 (HD).jpg IMG_4546 (HD).jpg

19. blis Forum Member

And the winner is MUSHY!!

I moved on to removing the exhaust manifold and once I removed the heat sheild everything behind the block looked good too. What was a suspected leak was actually spiral wrap that had melted on the sheild. So with Mushy and Mike on my mind I went to have another look at the oil cooler. I left it filled with anti scaling fluid in it overnight, when I looked today the level had dropped and mayo had leaked out. I found a rubber gromet that sealed the air nipple better and pressurised the oil cooler and then we heard a small leak and mayo dribbling out.

Ok, so what are the chances of me finding a cooler...

IMG_4551.jpg

The VAG gods were kind to me today, I found a Bora with just the cooler and it was capped with a plastic fitting similar to the oil filter cap on the Polo TDI.

Found a set of new genuine leads and a solution for my top hose as well. I might go back for the radiator tomorrow!

Big thanks to Peter, Mushy and Mike. Time to get my hands dirty!

Sirguydo and Nige like this.
  20. Peter Jones Forum Member

Excellent news and a much easier fix than the head gasket.

I generally delete those coolers in favour of an air/oil cooler setup when I put the late motors into MK1s.