Corrado 2.0L 16v - GSXR throttle body project

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by bazmcc, Dec 8, 2011.

1. bazmcc Forum Member

Not too sure mate. I was looking into the possibility of getting a newer version of a software but I'll have a think within the next few days and let you know as soon as possible.

2. bazmcc Forum Member

To go with High Comp Pistons or not??????

Decisions Decisions ......

I can get them for about 400 for a set of Wossners. Comp ratio 12.3:1.
    They have huge pockets for clearing the valves as well which would suit the Piper cams well.

What would you do?

3. emery1990 Forum Member

Ok mate, if you could, otherwise i'll put it up on ebay.

Cheers.

4. bazmcc Forum Member

Hi emery1990.

Mate I don't want to hold up your sale so it might be best for you to go ahead and sell the ecu. I have loads of work to do before I get to the stage where I need the ecu and wiring. I think it might be best for me to worry about it when the time comes. Thanks for the offer though.

Update.
    I'm working a lot on the interior of the car at the minute tidying some stuff up so I haven't had a chance to work on any engine parts. But I started cleaning all the old brackets and trimmed up a base to use for the inlet manifold. It's just rough cut but it'll be all good when I get some pipes lined up with the TBs and get it welded.
    As you can see I have my work cut out with cleaning the parts from the state of the water pump.
    Soda blasting is superb though. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jonnycab New Member

good progress.

you should buy a new VAG water pump. they're only about 40quid (exchange item, probably less if you can get discount). Saves a lot of potential problems... even if its working fine as of now...

6. bazmcc Forum Member

Good info. Handy to know. I remember pricing a new one a long time ago for another engine and it was about 90. I must have been unlucky. I might just finish cleaning that one up anyway. Using a soda blaster can get addictive.

7. bazmcc Forum Member

Not much progress in the last few days. Still scrubbing down brackets and trying to get them tidied up a bit. Loads of priming, painting, sanding, and more painting to be done.

ECU and wiring is out of the way now. The engine bay will just be tidied up and cleaned a bit until I work out what management I go with but mainly focusing on getting the parts sorted for the engine build first.
    [​IMG]

8. bigbenbird Forum Member

I'm doing a similar build but am a bit of a way behind you....... But takling mine in a differnet direction!

I have a question though.........

I would like to keep the TB's at their designed spacing, as Suzuki manufactured them. But as you may be aware the centres are narrower than the VW ports. If I leave TB's as they are and make up a manifold to suit, runners on Cylinders 1 + 4 will be marginally longer than the ones on 2 + 3.......... Will this have any effect on the way the engine runs/responds...........?

My thoughts are that the difference in distance will be so small that any change in response/performance will be negilable.

But just got myself hung up on what if.........!

Ben

9. bazmcc Forum Member

Hi Ben

I know exactly what you mean. Runners 1 and 4 are about half an inch offset on each side.

In my opinion the difference is too minimal to make any significant difference. The actual difference in length would possibly be 2-3mm max I would think.

10. bigbenbird Forum Member

Some others have gone to the effort to space the TB's to match, other than the looks I just wondered if there was any other reason for doing it......?

May be someone else out there might be able to confirm or deny our thoughts.........

I take it your putting the injectors in the normal positions (i.e. where the others were?)

I'm building a full custom manifold, inc flange plate, bosses for NOS in the future, and a matching water outlet piece.....

11. bazmcc Forum Member

I'll be putting the injectors where they're mounted on the TBs with a 1.8T fuel rail on the back of them.

I have a mate with a CNC and could have had a custom one made but I decided I'll just use the standard flange and work with it to get something solid setup and running first.

Check out the metal water outlet flange here on post number 13:
    http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-parts-picture-thread***-Badass-hardware-only!

12. bigbenbird Forum Member

I pondered putting my injectors in the Suzuki positions........... But read some where (amongst the hours of research reading) that excessive ditance between injector and inlet ports causes throttle lag....... but I've never had it confirmed or denied!

Does the 1.8T fuel rail have the same spacing then? I would of thought the spacing would of been the standard VAG 88mm.

I really want to keep my inlet runners as clutter free as poss, so If I can mount my injectors in the TB's and mount them upside down, the visual look should be as clean as possible..........

I hate the balance between asthetics, engineering and performance......... they all seem to interfere with each other..........Grrrr!

13. bazmcc Forum Member

Sorry, slight typo/misunderstanding.

The 1.8T fuel rail and injectors will be mounted in the inlet manifold flange where the original injectprs were, at the front face of the head.

14. bigbenbird Forum Member

Yeah that makes more sense............ Seems logical....

Also I think the injector ports on the Suzuki TB's are much smaller than the we would need any way, and theres no meat in the body to open it out.....

nice bits of kit on that link....

Did you know you can use a different alternator mounting to clean the look up, and lose the tensioner coil that mentioned/seen in the pics. IIRC the mount off a non GTI Mk3 is the thing you use

Ben

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  15. bazmcc Forum Member

Function over form for me at the minute mate. I'll worry about cleaning up bits and pieces after the car is up and running.

16. bigbenbird Forum Member

Function over form.............. this would be my usual ethos.......

But I'm trying to acheive both, maybe impossible but I'll try anyway

Great thread and helped me alot, once again thanks

Ben

17. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

@bigbenbird - so you want to keep the oem inlet manifold?

18. bigbenbird Forum Member

No, not the vw one anyway.....!

If I could get big enough injectors (flow rate) to use in the suzuki tb ports..... I would, but ive not been able to find out if there is such a solution.

I am trying to have the runners of my custom manifold clear of any fittings, on the top side at least.
    Making the view from above, cleaner/slicker......

Like wise with the tb's, if you turn them through 180 deg, the underside is less cluttered....

Not sure if its a wild goose chase.....

19. Admin Guest

The whole point of ITBs are to give equal high flow to each port, therefore no hindrance in airflow that plenums give and therefore max airflow = torque. If you decide to change the spacing from the head you then start to add bends to the inlet tracks and also alter each of the track lengths. This is not ideal and will effect the flow, some manifolds people have made this way will be a lot worse than a standard plenum, do it once, do it right. Otherwise it just bugs you so you end up doing again anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  20. bigbenbird Forum Member

@ Smudge............. Point taken!

It would of bugged me that they werent equal in the long run anyway.

So like you say 'Do it right, do it once'

Thanks