Corrado 2.0L 16v - GSXR throttle body project

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by bazmcc, Dec 8, 2011.

1. bazmcc Forum Member

So this is the start of my corrado throttle body project. It's a '94 Corrado 2.0L 16v. It's the 9a engine and I intend to give it a bit of a rebuild and hopefully get a set of decent cams into it. I'm done with messing about with oem cams. Time to go for something bigger.

Here's what I've got so far:

GSXR750 SRAD throttle bodies, injectors, fuel rail, etc

Unfortunately, that's it so far.

Although I have done a bit of a deal for a Megasquirt 1 setup and hopefully that'll go ahead and it should give me something to work on and get it running when the time comes.

So I'm in the middle of trawling through all the confusing info. Hopefuly I can pickup some tips. I'm going to need lots of help. It's my first ITB install. My main sticking points is the fueling system, from pumps to injectors. I'm unsure what I need but I'm sure I'll be able to pick up a few points here.

2. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

3. bazmcc Forum Member

OK so basically I should swap my pump for a KR one? (KE - jet to K-jet swap)

I'll need to research the injectors a bit. The only spare injectors I have in my garage are from a MK4 R32. These run on a 4 bar fpr at 327cc/min@4 bar according to what I've read. Injector sizes are a new thing to me so I have a lot of reading to do. My aim for this engine will be anywhere between 180 - 200bhp when it's all finished so if the injectors are capable of that then I'll be happy enough.

Does that sort of size of injector work out with that sort of figure? I have access to a handful of 1.8T injectors and various others as well. My local scrapper can usually be accomodating enough.

4. drunkenalan Paid Member Paid Member

have a read of smudge's thread on his car, its very good! and will be almost the same spec as yours!

5. corradophil Forum Member

Your 9a Corrado should be running KE-Motronic, not KE-Jetronic. The original fuel pump should up to the job.

Apparently, but please double check to be sure:

CIS System pressure: 68-78 psi/4.69-5.38 bar (K-Jetronic).

CIS-E System pressure 75-82 psi (I assume KE-Jetronic)

CIS-E Motronic sys. pressure 89-95 psi/6.14-6.55 bar (KE-Motronic)

Assuming the above is correct, the system pressure of any of the above 3 will be enough.

6. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

I don't know if your KE pump is capable. I do know though that the k-jet one is..

I don't know either what the r32 injectors look like but if they are like 1.8t injectors, they are not for the job. You need the ev1 style injectors not the ev6(i.8t) type. Also you have to check impedance-wise what you need. there are low-z and high-z injectors. MS board can be modified to use either type.

330cc@3bar can accomodate 200bhp easily

7. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Got your answers fast i suppose :lol:

8. bazmcc Forum Member

Excellent info guys. Thanks for the help.

So judging by the figures above the K-JET is actually the weakest pump of the 3 so would any one of the pumps work or is there a case where the pump can have too much pressure?

This is what the R32 injectors look like.
    [​IMG]

I'll have a dig around and see what injectors are available. I have a good engineer so physically we can fit anything but obviously the less machine work we have to do, the better.

No time like the present to get started.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was going to have the head pulled and get a bit of work done on it anyway but it's never good when you can see a metalic dust on one of the valves. I suppose that's one of the disadvantages of not knowing the full history of a car's engine.
    [​IMG]

That was enough work for this evening.
    I'll get back to it next week and get it stripped off and see what sort of work I have ahead of me. Is a port and polish worth it or is it better just to get the head gasket matched?

Some of this is guesswork for me so it's great to have some good advice.

9. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

It's a no for the r32 injectors then.

So you just saved the poor kr :lol:

Headgasket is already matched. Is the inlet and exhaust gasket that need head matching.

Port and polish is worth it yes :thumbup:

10. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

11. corradophil Forum Member

12. bazmcc Forum Member

Did they change the 9a fueling at one stage though? Because I know the early 9a engines aren't the same as the later ones, different cams etc.

But if that fuel pump is the same then it saves a bit more work. In fact, I have a funny feeling I have a spare pump from a KR engine in the garage.

I'm going to have to have a dig around and see where I can get a set of injectors for the job.

I also need a list of stuff to buy for the rebuild. I was going to go for a set of autotech cams as well. If any of you have any other recommendations let me know.

13. corradophil Forum Member

As far as I am aware the 9a only ever ran KE-Motronic, whether in a Corrado or Passat. I think the 6a in the Audi was the same too, but this would need confirming.

KE-Motronic is very similar to K-Jetronic, but has closed loop lambda contol for part throttle fueling and mapable ignition timing.

14. bazmcc Forum Member

Would it be possible to have a pump that's too much pressure or would it matter if an adjustable FPR was being used?

15. corradophil Forum Member

The fuel lines already take the pressure, I'd imagine the fuel rail will be fine, so it's just down to whether the FPR will deal with it properly.

The 'System' pressure on K-Jet and KE-Motronic is dealt with after the fuel pump ans setup carefully to ensure correct operation of the injection system. As both use the same fuel pump, and according to Brutalmk2-16v the K-jet pump is fine, I'd stick with what you have.

As for the FPR, you need to look into the maximum fuel pressure the one you plan to use will work with.

16. bazmcc Forum Member

I've had a quick look at a few fprs but not properly yet. I had spied a mallory Adjustable FPR rated to 100psi. It seemed like a good piece of kit.

Would I maybe be better to get the injectors first and get the fpr based on what I need for them on the off chance that I can use some sort of OEM fpr already operating at the correct pressures for the injectors? Sorry if that's a stupid sounding question, still getting my head round all this.

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

You can use either EV6 or EV1 injectors for your application.

I would say injectors up to 315cc @4 bar would be fine for your application.

As already said K-Jet pump is all good. Works on my 16vT at full chat without an issue.

In addition to smudge's 189PS homemade ITB MK2 car, recently an experiment was conducted along similar lines, using many OE components.
    Link here.

18. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Vehicle in Toyotecs 2nd link features a "weedy" Mk2 8V digifant fuel pump, which seems to be providing fuel to a vehicle making over 162 lbft with no problems

19. danster Forum Addict

As Ben mentions the Digifant pump is quite capable for decent levels of fuel requirement. The K jet does use a bigger pump, but only because the system works at a higher pressure than conventional EFI.
    You could lose the accumulator on the K jet pump assembly too.
    I would be tempted to go to the Digifant fuel pump assembly and fuel lines to the engine bay too. This would neaten the plumbing up a fair bit and save trying to join pipes and omit the accumulator.

20. bazmcc Forum Member

That's a good bit of bedtime reading for me. That should iron out a few issues.

It's getting very confusing with all these pump names and versions. Is the general consensus to stick with the standard 9a pump or to fit one from a KR? What would you do?

Pipework isn't an issue. When it's all built I'll probably hardline everything anyway so it's as tidy as possible.

As far as actual injection point is concerned is it better to stick with the injection right at the point where the standard injectors go and to block up the injector holes on the throttle bodies?