Corrado 2.0L 16v - GSXR throttle body project

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by bazmcc, Dec 8, 2011.

1. danster Forum Addict

Just a heads up, are you still planning on getting this through the emission and CAT tests?

2. bazmcc Forum Member

Slow down there danster.

You're thinking way too far ahead. lol

I'll worry about that when the time comes. I'm sure it can be tweaked to just about make it through. I still have a cat for it laying around the garage somewhere.

3. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Yes but then there are some ev6 shorter in length and some that need different connectors and will cause confusion.

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

There are 2 typical connector types:
    Sumitomo ( less popular)
    Jetronic (square type very common)
    Connectors w fly-leads are available.

You find out which injector part # has the required flow rate, check dimensions and spec are as required, then source.

The EV6 units are usually 61mm (very common) to 74mm.

The beauty about Bosch injectors like these is they work in a 1.8T fuel rail which has the correct spacing for a ITB project. They are also very common to get hold of and come with a 3bar or 4bar FPR. The height of the injector i.e. if it is 61mm or 74mm is of less importance, once the OP can alter the lugs on the fuel rail or make locating points on his custom ITB set to compensate for this.
    The latter would be my preferred choice.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  5. Toyotec

I have also posted typical VW fuel pump flow rates in this link here

6. Toyotec

You are attempting to ensure the fuel delivery can supply the engine with fuel when at full chat. When FPR restricts the pump supply and builds rail pressure at 4 bar or 3bar the pump should be able to flow fuel to deliver the torque at engine loads and at required lambda.
    You can use the data in the link to back calculate which pump in theory meets you requirements by say 20% over spec.
    You may find the K-Jet unit is already over spec'd and will be fine as already suggested.

7. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

8. Toyotec

Yes you can use EV1 0280150431 units "saab red tops" ~370cc/min@3bar in the OPs application.

To the OP,

Assuming a 1.8T fuel rail is used:

G60 0 280 150 905 245 cc/min or *49hp each EV1 use with 4bar FPR EV1 77mm Jetronic connector
    Saab 2.3 turbo 0 280 150 431 371cc/min or *72hp each known as Bosch RED injectors EV1 77mm Jetronic connector
    Volvo B230T 0 280 156 335 300cc/min or *60hp each EV6 61mm Jetronic connector
    1.8T "AUM" Code 0280 156 061 317cc/min or *64hp each EV6 61mm Jetronic connector

*Fuel Flow power is a crude approximation.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  9. bazmcc Forum Member

Excellent stuff. Ok. So would i be smart in saying that the first things on my shopping list should be saab red top injectors and a 1.8t fuel rail with fpr?

How do i know which is 3bar and which is 4bar? And am i better going for 4bar straight away? I have a good source for fuel rails.

Again sorry for the barrage of questions.

10. Toyotec

I would be very surprised if you can max 370cc injectors on a 3bar FPR on the project you are building

Typical VW FPRs:

Pressure bar Supplier # VW # Comment
    3 Bosch 0280 160 557 037 133 065 C
    4 Bosch 0280 160 575 078 133 534 C

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  11. bazmcc Forum Member

Ok so either is fine really? I'll see what i can dig up.

12. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Yes :thumbup:

13. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Eddy, what's the pressure on Saab 2.3 turbo ?

14. Toyotec

Manifold pressures on some 2.3 litre engines are, 6psi (0.4bar) in 1st - 2nd then 12psi (0.8bar) in 3rd - top gears.

15. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

Ohh, i'm sorry i meant fuel pressure. Do they use a 3bar fpr?

16. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Saab redtops are a bit lower in flow than the table shows. They are between 350cc and 358cc. @3bar

17. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

That's why i'm asking about the fpr setting. I was almost sure that they are 349cc@3bar

18. Toyotec

The specs I have this, quotes the 0280150431 injectors with Q-stat of 371cc/min with a set pressure of 300 kPa (ml/min) and tested with heptane. As a result is does not matter what FPR is used on the Saab. I also use these on VR6K projects and have achieved up to 270PS at GS, also running a 3 bar FPR but with a 0.6bar boost adding to the nominal FPR operating point.

In my opinion these injectors will have no issue supporting the OP's project providing mapping is sensible.

19. brutalmk2-16v Forum Member

They are over enough for the OP as i suggested at the start of the thread so we agree here.

As for the Q-stat i'm not sure, i thought they were 349cc/min@3bar. I thought that maybe the saab's have different fp so the saab guys give "false" information. For example: saab has stock 2.5fpr therefore 349cc/min but when we use the injectors we use 3bar fpr's(well most of us) thus the quantity becomes 370cc/min@3bar.

This is just a thought though..

Is the Q-stat info that you have accurate Eddy?

20. Toyotec

There are tables with information that state what you quote above yes.
    I have many of these that have been collected during the years.
    One of these quotes 0280150431 part # as 359cc/min and a 72bhp fuel flow estimate @ 100% duty.
    What many sources do not state is what was the test medium and what was the test pressure. This useful if working with OE Bosch controllers systems and have to rescale injectors based on the original Q-Stat.
    In the absence of actually setting up a means to test a particular injector myself, which I have done in a former life, the data using heptane and test pressure is presumed to be correct to my knowledge.
    If there are any doubts then seriously consider running a controlled experiment at various fuel pressures, using gasoline and the determine the quantity of the fuel that is injected into a graduated beaker over a known time. This would provide and actual result which can compared to various data tables.

Still makes near enough no difference to the OP who is building a 16v NASP engine.