My 20vT MK2

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Richard Mk2, Dec 22, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Yea i wish we had now. I bet it was a right laugh... Not sure my GF would of been up for camping out though - you know what girls are like lol :lol:

Maybe next year when i'm down in the MK2 [:D] :thumbup:

Can't wait till the mk2 is finished :)

2. l-o-m-a-x Forum Member

any progress?

Rich - how progress with project GT? Any photos to update with? Hope you're making good progress

I bring mine over to show you some time...

3. Richard Mk2

Hi Tom mate.

I havent been doing much with the Mk2 lately.

Managed to paint up the Engine and Inlet the other week. I painted the bottom end black this morning to, but need to upload some pictures yet :thumbup:

I bought some Chinese style door handles from Inters and they look great.

Yea ive been meaning to have a look at your MK2. I'll be working on the MK2 tomorrow in the garage if you want to pop over.

:thumbup:

4. Richard Mk2

Managed to paint the bottom end black today. :thumbup: Its come up really well, better then expected.

Heres a couple of pics, before and after...

How it looked when i bought it...

[​IMG]

And how it stands now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have got a few more things to add to it yet though. Ive painted up the alternator brackets and various other bits and bobs, just to finish it off nicely...

Next thing will be a nice new shiny alternator on there, and a new starter.

I need to get things rolling soon and get the loom and engine in there...

Cant wait!!!!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  5. baker57 Forum Member

Looks real good:thumbup: :thumbup:

6. Richard Mk2

Cheers mate. :thumbup:

I cant wait to get the lump in there and get it running!!!

7. Richard Mk2

I was going to lay out the GTi wiring loom in the car today and put my GTi fusebox in, but then it started to f ing bucket down with rain so i didn't get the chance.

The other week i bought some new parts for the engine inc -

NGK spark plugs
    Dubpower HT leads
    Some new hoses and new jubilee clips
    New Dizzy cap and Rotor arm
    and some seals for the water flanges on the side and front of the head.

So i decided to fit these today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does look nice and fresh with the new leads, hoses, ect... And the metal water hose sets it right off...

Managed to paint up the rocker cover strips and the alternator bracket today to.

[​IMG]

Hopefully, if it all goes to plan, next weekend i should be getting my hands on an engine crane and finally get the lump sitting in the bay.

All that is left to do then is wire up the ecu and loom, and get the fuel pumps sorted out. Plus ive got new belts, a new black diamond clutch and a polished strut brace to go in.
    Cant wait till the day it finally starts... :thumbup:

I havent driven my MK2 in about 5 months [:^(]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  8. Richard Mk2

[​IMG]

I will be dropping the engine tomorrow and hopefully wiring the engine loom up. Im still waiting on the fuel pump housing and the intank pump, which are the only parts i havent gathered.

This will be my first attemp at an engine conversion, so hope it all goes well and according to plan. It will be a great feeling once i have it finally running.

As soon as its in, it'll then be off to the bodyshop for a full respray and some other bits.

Cant wait... [:D]

Wish me luck guys :thumbup:

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Seeing as I'm doing the same, apart from the fuel pump itself for the intank unit and it's wiring, is there anything in it's housing that you needed to pick up or is there a position for it or something?

10. Richard Mk2

As long as you have the bolts which bolt it to the chassis, thats all you basically need tbh.

How is yours coming along anyway :thumbup:

11. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Great job mate! The engine looks cracking [:D]

I'm doing mine this weekend too!! (see thread)

12. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

that's looking real nice, shame to get it dirty, getting the engine bolted in is the easy part, wiring the bugger ain't!

13. Richard Mk2

Just a quick weekend update guys...

After searching high and low for an engine crane the past month, G60KG kindly lent me his. Thanks again mate :thumbup: Much appreciated!

Was a quite straight forward process tbh. I started by dismantling most of the ancillaries and took all the wiring off which was connected to the engine, carefully remembering where everything went.

Heres a few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Un-bolted all the engine mounts which came off with ease and most of the gearbox bolts. The only difficult bolt was the big one at the bottom of the gearbox. What a nightmare. It just would not budge. After 20mins it finally went, which was a relief...

Was then ready to lift out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With a little wiggling, it came out quite easy.
    My original plan was to keep the gearbox in there, which would save me the job of dismantling the driveshafts, and put the PB lump in its place. But i then noticed that the Driver downpipe would not fit the GTi manifold, so out came the splined socket set to remove the driveshafts and remove the gearbox...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, all in all some great progress earned today.
    I was supprised that the bay its self was in such great condition, with no rust at the back or on the chassis legs whatsoever!!!
    I need to source a GTi down pipe, so if anyone has one please do get in touch...

Before i started the engine removal, i managed to get my Club GTi stickers in.

They look great [:D] And i'm well pleased with the quality :thumbup:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im on holiday from wednesday for two whole weeks, so i wont have no time to spend on the car. But as soon as im back, i will be planning on getting the engine in, wiring up the engine loom and fusebox, and hopefully would have sourced a GTi downpipe.

Cheers for looking Guys!!! Watch this space...

:thumbup:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  14. Richard Mk2

Thanks mate.

Im so not up for sorting the wiring loom out. I know its going to be a nightmare but its got to be done :thumbup:

Hopefully all goes to plan, the only parts i need to the conversion now are the under-car fuel pump with housing, which is on its way in the post, plus an in-tank fuel pump and a GTi downpipe... :thumbup:

I cant wait to drive it again [:D]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  15. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

When I did my 16v conversion the wiring was a pain in the backside, looking at the wiring out on the floor it's really difficult to work out what's what, I found it easier to get the loom through the bulkhead and then roughly lay where it goes, I then found that the plugs almost find their own way to the right place and it's easier to match up to the right connector. If you've got the loom already then i'd put it in now 'cause it's much easier to get it through the bulkhead with nothing in the way although you'll probably still have to take off the servo to get access to the bulkhead where the loom goes through, have fun :thumbup:

16. Jamie_pyrite Forum Member

Looking good mate!!

You've done exactly the same as me: "Oh... hang on... the downpipe is different!! f*ck."

I've had to stick the driver exhaust manifold onto the gti head to mate it up as I can't afford a full gti exhaust system at the moment.. yay for restrictive exhaust systems.. :(

Also, check your lift pump has a 4 pin connector! I just discovered today the lift pump I bought is only a 3 pin (pre 90 spec) so it was no good.. so went to the scrappies and took the plug off a pre 90 golf and mated it to the 90 spec loom. I think it'll mean I have no fuel level indicator though!

Another thing.. If you do have to order new manifold bolts, ask for them using your Driver's engine.. Not the PB Gti engine - The bolts they actually give you that are listed are the wrong bolts! They're much thicker and don't fit the head. I've had a massive hassle with this! But then we tried some using the code for the driver manifold bolts and they were correct.

If I think of any other snags I've had along the way I'll let you know. I'm just about to drop the new engine in and then finish plumbing the fuel lines. Do you have any idea how the external fuel pump is plumbed?

You have a feed and return on the lift pump.. Then you have one main black plug on the pump, then two gray ones.. Why are there 3 plugs?!

17. Richard Mk2

I recieved the GTi downpipe which i needed for my conversion last week.
    It was such a nightmare trying to get the old Driver downpipe off. I must have used half a can of WD40 to get it free, and after half hour of wiggling and pulling i finally managed to get it free... :thumbup: Won't be doing that again!!!

Decided to take the dash out to get to all the wiring to...

[​IMG]

I ended up braking off the indicator stalk though. But luckily i bought a set from jamie_pyrite - Thanks mate...

So hopefully on the weekend i should be putting the PB lump in and get all the wiring and bay loom sorted. I recived my metal downpipe gasket today so can fit that and bolt up the downpipe to the manifold straight away.

All thats needed now if the in-tank pump, and fingers crossed it should start up.

Cant wait :thumbup:

18. Richard Mk2

My plan today was to get up early and put the engine in, but as i had a late night last night i didn't get up till gone 1 this afternoon!!!

I did get a few things done though...

[​IMG]

The servo was quite easy to get out but was awkward. Especially the pin on the brake pedal and the four bolts behind the servo. I had if off in half hour, which wasn't to bad.

Out with the old driver loom...

[​IMG]

And then the new one in its place. It basically just fell in place.

[​IMG]

Bolted the ECU in and managed to squeeze the plugs into the scuttle panel...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the engine loom is in, all i need to do now is lay out the fuel loom, bolt the pumps in and put the engine in.

I also managed to paint up the Alternator, Starter and the servo in silver.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It should look good once its all fitted together... :thumbup:

19. Richard Mk2

What a long day ive had...
    Its the first time ive sat down all day, so i thought i'd put a little update while having a nice cold pint of Stella [:D]

I got up at 11, gave the Mk4 a good wash and then started on the MK2...

And i finally got the engine in!!!
    Was quite straight forward but it took a while to line everything up, especially the downpipe bolts...

Heres a few pics -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im so glad its in now.

All thats left is to put the gearbox in, link up the fuel lines and then it should be ok to start.... Cant wait :thumbup: [:D]

Im off to have a few more cans now. Its been one long hard day.. [8D]

Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  20. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Much deserved - good work!